New iPads - 22nd of October

BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
Forum Member
✭✭
People familiar with Apple's plans tell AllThingsD that the company will hold its next invitation-only event on Tuesday October 22. The focal point of the gathering will the latest updates to the company’s iPad line, but new Mac Pro and OS X Mavericks will likely get some stage time as well, I'm tol
d.

:)

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Retina for iPad Mini. Maybe fingerprint sensor on both too.
    Beyond a spec bump, not sure what's coming to iPad Maxi?

I'm more interested by advancements to the Macbook Pros. Using Iris graphics on the 13" allows them to redesign the SoC and make the whole package slightly smaller again whilst boosting graphics performance and battery life.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Retina for iPad Mini. Maybe fingerprint sensor on both too.
    Beyond a spec bump, not sure what's coming to iPad Maxi?

From what I've read, believable or otherwise, there are limited supplies of the smaller retina screen.

And of course the spec bump will include the awesomeness of the 64 bit processor to give desktop class processing ...
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPad5 for me. My money is waiting.

I've had an iPad1 since they came out but it's getting a bit slow now as apps become more power hungry and fewer are available for it anyway. Shame really as it still works just fine and the tech is only 3 and a bit years old. But it's going to a good home to someone who just wants it for mail and surfing :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    From what I've read, believable or otherwise, there are limited supplies of the smaller retina screen.

And of course the spec bump will include the awesomeness of the 64 bit processor to give desktop class processing ...

I can understand the appeal of a graphical spec bump as the ipad becomes an important gaming device. CPU bump nice for extra smoothness in the glassy iOS7 era (funny as windows 7 was also quite glassy).

But what are we going to do with desktop-class processing? We're not running desktop-class applications and Apple don't currently display any intentions of converging use cases between Macs and i-devices.

In fundamental "experience" terms, I don't see what new the iPad 5 could bring to a glass-fronted slate where the screen is your output and input component beyond even higher resolutions (2880x1800 anyone?), being thinner, lighter and longer battery life - all worthy improvements but pretty marginal in experience terms.

Major experience improvements right now would need to be on the software and services front but we've already got iOS7...
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    iPad5 for me. My money is waiting.

I've had an iPad1 since they came out but it's getting a bit slow now as apps become more power hungry and fewer are available for it anyway. Shame really as it still works just fine and the tech is only 3 and a bit years old. But it's going to a good home to someone who just wants it for mail and surfing :)

The ipad5 is getting slight design changes in line with the iPad mini, which is a good thing.

My wife would like to update her iPad, and my kids think that is what they are getting foe Xmas. Hopefully they will be in short supply:)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New iPads - 22nd of October
    Don't forget it's all just rumours so far!

Remember how everyone thought the iPhone 5c would be a 'budget' phone..? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what are we going to do with desktop-class processing? We're not running desktop-class applications and Apple don't currently display any intentions of converging use cases between Macs and i-devices.

In fundamental "experience" terms, I don't see what new the iPad 5 could bring to a glass-fronted slate where the screen is your output and input component beyond even higher resolutions (2880x1800 anyone?), being thinner, lighter and longer battery life - all worthy improvements but pretty marginal in experience terms.

Completely agree. The desktop class soundbite is rather ... strange. What do most people do on desktops? Browse the web, write documents, spreadsheets .... even in the enterprise a lot of applications are now browser based. Virtually everything that is "desktop class" can already be done on almost any tablet.

Of course the new iPad won't add anything fundamental to the experience, it'll be faster, flashier and ultimately a slightly better version of whats gone before.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=clonmult;69101335... The desktop class soundbite is rather ... strange. ...[/QUOTE]Not really. Intel told us 64 bit was for server, 32 bit desktop.
    When AMD brought 64 bit to the desktop, Intel had to comply to be still perceived ahead.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=TheBigM;69098268

I'm more interested by advancements to the Macbook Pros. Using Iris graphics on the 13" allows them to redesign the SoC and make the whole package slightly smaller again whilst boosting graphics performance and battery life.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I have enough Ipads to last me a lifetime.
    I'm waiting for news of Macbook Pros.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Don't forget it's all just rumours so far!

"The Loop's Jim Dalrymple has seconded the October 22 date with one of his famous "Yep" confirmations. "

He has never ever been wrong.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't purchased a tablet before, just have an Iphone 5.

I am interested in the Ipad Mini, so hope the new one comes out soon!
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more interested when the release for Mavericks will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more interested by advancements to the Macbook Pros. ...whilst boosting graphics performance and battery life.

Apple increase battery life in the Air by using a TN panel.
    That won't happen here but will they use an Izgo or that 3200x1800 screen already on the strangely named ATIV Book 9 Plus.

edit - seems these displays are ten a penny. Plus Fujitsu have an Izgo one in their laptops.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    I'm more interested when the release for Mavericks will be.
    The GM release was a few days ago so I suspect they'll announce it'll be available on or just after the same day as the iPad keynote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    ipad mini with retina is what I am looking for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've read, believable or otherwise, there are limited supplies of the smaller retina screen....the 64 bit processor ...
    The big impression was that they wanted to get away with postponing any Mini screen improvement and simply switch to 64 bit.

The new Nexus 7 changed everything. A 'god awful' 2010 display simply will not do, unlike the 5s, which, when all is said and done is just a phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Apple increase battery life in the Air by using a TN panel.
    That won't happen here but will they use an Izgo or that 3200x1800 screen already on the strangely named ATIV Book 9 Plus.

edit - seems these displays are ten a penny. Plus Fujitsu have an Izgo one in their laptops.

No, the Air has always had a TN panel so you can't say that caused increased battery life. Just not changing it didn't harm battery life.

Increased battery life was a combination of: Haswell processor, bigger battery, using Haswell performance gains by underclocking the processor so comparable performance provided but even more battery life.

Personally, windows laptops got it right for me, 7ish hours battery life with haswell but 1080p or HiDPI IPS displays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the Air has always had a TN panel so you can't say that caused increased battery life....
    Increased battery life was a combination of: Haswell processor, bigger battery, using Haswell performance gains by underclocking the processor so comparable performance provided but even more battery life.
    Personally, windows laptops got it right for me, 7ish hours battery life with haswell but 1080p or HiDPI IPS displays.
    The 3K screen in the Ativ claims 11 hours. Again PLS IPS is more battery conservative that plain IPS.

Yes the Air always had a cheaper TN panel, but it also has a tiny battery. It is also worth noting that LED back lights get more power efficient year by year. Another fundamental change, alongside Intel belatedly adding more power conservation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member

64-bit is pointless on the iPhone 5S and iPad 5. The only benefit with going 64-bit is so you can access more than 4GB of RAM (not to be confused with storage).

Since the iPhone and iPad don't have more than 4Gb of RAM, there's no point, except for marketing.

You can install more than 4Gb on a desktop/laptop so 64-bit make sense but not on a mobile or tablet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    d.

:)

New iPads are only announced on the 22nd October, they won't be on sale until 1st November at the earliest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonny1973 wrote: »
    64-bit is pointless on the iPhone 5S and iPad 5. The only benefit with going 64-bit is so you can access more than 4GB of RAM (not to be confused with storage).

Since the iPhone and iPad don't have more than 4Gb of RAM, there's no point, except for marketing.

You can install more than 4Gb on a desktop/laptop so 64-bit make sense but not on a mobile or tablet.

I know its (currently) pointless, I missed the big smiley. Its all about marketing and perceived advantage in the "publics eye".

My laptops running an i7 with 8gig of ram and windows 7. It responds about as well as an older Dell laptop I've got with Ubuntu.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Apple have NEVER claimed any benefits for 64-bit (AFAIK)!!

They happen to have a a 64-bit ARM CPU - so why not start building for this - for the future if for no other reason!!!! If eveything (development suite, libraries etc) go 64-bit NOW it will avoid problems down the line!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member

64 bit also gives a nice speed boost by all accounts, so far from pointless IMHO. (Particularly in the full size iPad.)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    inkfinger wrote: »
    64 bit also gives a nice speed boost by all accounts, so far from pointless IMHO. (Particularly in the full size iPad.)

64-bit doesn't necessarily give any speed improvements. As above, even Apple haven't claimed it does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    64-bit doesn't necessarily give any speed improvements. As above, even Apple haven't claimed it does.
    Apple claim very little but whole industries seems to be geared up to big up anything brought our way by them.
    Apple however do seem to have re slanted the truth wth regards to their M7 co-processor. It is cheap Big.Little. Like an A15 the likely used Cortex A57 is simply power hungry used by itself. (technical information)