WHAT has happened to Rogue (X-Men)?

2»

Comments

• brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Rogue didnt start out as a scared & whiney brat (aside from the initial issue of her turning up on the X-men door step, which was understandable. She was always cool as a cucumber and dependable/resourceful in a fight even in the early days- which accounts for her early popularity. Rachel Summers on the other hand... And for pure brattishness=Jubilee.
    Well maybe 'whiny brat' was a strong term. She was cool and dependable in a fight but a very childish character when not... like I say albeit in a likable way.

She did spend a lot of her time feeling sorry for herself and throwing tantrums, particularly during the period when the Carol/Rogue personalities started to separate and battle for control.

Also her answer to problems was to run away... something that continued well into the nineties.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, I hated how convoluted X Men The Last Stand was...it tried to do way too much within the constraints of one film and tie together storylines that didnt even cross over that well.

I think the thing the X-Men film universe has lacked IS that strong, young, female character. What I think people are wishing for is for that character to be there - what they did with Rogue was interesting, but it meant that that character didnt have a place in the films which is what we were expecting from her.

To be honest, aside from Mystique all of the main females in the X-Men films have been quite...wimpy? Storm's had her moments but she's never seemed *that* independent and always seemed to play a bit of second fiddle to Logan and the other characters.

The characters of the comics and the TV shows weren't to me given as much of a chance to shine or be as cool as they could have been, in the films. Of the women my favourite would be Mystique probably because at least she was quite badass, and I think that's what we were expecting of Rogue. Or at least for her to have been a complex character rather than just damaged. As I mentioned before I really like how they portray her in Ultimate.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, I hated how convoluted X Men The Last Stand was...it tried to do way too much within the constraints of one film and tie together storylines that didnt even cross over that well.

I think the thing the X-Men film universe has lacked IS that strong, young, female character. What I think people are wishing for is for that character to be there - what they did with Rogue was interesting, but it meant that that character didnt have a place in the films which is what we were expecting from her.

To be honest, aside from Mystique all of the main females in the X-Men films have been quite...wimpy? Storm's had her moments but she's never seemed *that* independent and always seemed to play a bit of second fiddle to Logan and the other characters.

The characters of the comics and the TV shows weren't to me given as much of a chance to shine or be as cool as they could have been, in the films. Of the women my favourite would be Mystique probably because at least she was quite badass, and I think that's what we were expecting of Rogue. Or at least for her to have been a complex character rather than just damaged. As I mentioned before I really like how they portray her in Ultimate.

Mystique came off brilliantly in the films, even without her original trademark costume.

Storm should've at least had a superior opponent in The Last Stand, in the final battle. Angela Bassett should've played her. She was made for that role. Whatserface was too petite.

The trouble with converting the original Rogue into the film was her immense power as a mutant. i.e. super strength/power of flight plus the absorption power, she would've had the film wrapped up in 10 minutes. I remember a couple of scraps in her early comic appearances would have her knocked out of battle initially, so other characters could have their 5 minutes of 'thunder', only for her to come round and bring the fight to a close! Either that or absorbing someones past which would disable her mentally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone has their favourite 'era' of comic reading, I always loved x-men/new mutantsearly-mid 80's.

Then when Shadowcat/Nightcrawler/Rachel Summers got sent to the UK, it all went tits up.:mad:

I still think Bill Sienkiewicz's reign on New Mutants was beyong compare. their stories were so much darker then their fellow X men!

i wish Bill would've had a chance to draw X men too, but he then went and craeted the Elektra series, so, I forgive him!

As for female mutants, that whole era had some brilliant ones: Rogue, Shadowcat, Magma, Moonstar,Karma, Betsy Braddock, Storm, Magik, Rainie, ah nostalgia!
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone has their favourite 'era' of comic reading, I always loved x-men/new mutantsearly-mid 80's.

Then when Shadowcat/Nightcrawler/Rachel Summers got sent to the UK, it all went tits up.:mad:

I still think Bill Sienkiewicz's reign on New Mutants was beyong compare. their stories were so much darker then their fellow X men!

i wish Bill would've had a chance to draw X men too, but he then went and craeted the Elektra series, so, I forgive him!

As for female mutants, that whole era had some brilliant ones: Rogue, Shadowcat, Magma, Moonstar,Karma, Betsy Braddock, Storm, Magik, Rainie, ah nostalgia!

The way he drew Cannonball was incredible... I've not read a mainstream comic drawn so artistically since his reign on New Mutants. :o:(
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela Bassett should've played her. She was made for that role. Whatserface was too petite.
    So is Angela Bassett. She's a little bit shorter than Halle.

Angela looks stronger but Halle has a slenderness that doesn't make her look a stumpy as Angela Bassett would have done against the 6ft Famke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumilad wrote: »
    So is Angela Bassett. She's a little bit shorter than Halle.

Angela looks stronger but Halle has a slenderness that doesn't make her look a stumpy as Angela Bassett would have done against the 6ft Famke.

If built-ups are good enough for Tom Cruise then they're good enough for Miss Bassett!

Failing that, or even better, Pam Grier! Halle is too gamine, she didnt give the impression of power that I was expecting.

That first Xmen film paved the way for all the superhero films since but at the time effects hadn't quite caught up with whats achievable now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    The way he drew Cannonball was incredible... I've not read a mainstream comic drawn so artistically since his reign on New Mutants. :o:(

At first I 'didnt get it', because his style was so different to anything else. Then one day, it 'clicked'. Claremonts writing was even better on that era than alot of the X Men stuff. It felt like it was their 'pet project' that they could get away with more extreme stuff than X Men.

I think they changed the comic print process on that title around issue 26/27 and the colour tones didnt do the art justice.

His art is very cinematic. I still intend to blow up some panels of the Demonbear saga for my lounge wall!:cool:
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At first I 'didnt get it', because his style was so different to anything else. Then one day, it 'clicked'. Claremonts writing was even better on that era than alot of the X Men stuff. It felt like it was their 'pet project' that they could get away with more extreme stuff than X Men.

I think they changed the comic print process on that title around issue 26/27 and the colour tones didnt do the art justice.

His art is very cinematic. I still intend to blow up some panels of the Demonbear saga for my lounge wall!:cool:

None more awesome! :eek:

I have so seriously fallen out of love with Chris Claremont that I blame him for all that it is wrong with modern comics... I really wish I could reread my old Power Pack and New Mutant comics :o
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I really wish I could reread my old Power Pack and New Mutant comics :o

Mine are currently spread out on the floor of my spare room as part of a massive job of cataloguing 8 long and 3 short boxes worth of comics... :D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a clue about how the continuity of all this works but in marvel now X-Men #1, released last week, Rogue appears to have super strength/the power of flight again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I don't have a clue about how the continuity of all this works but in marvel now X-Men #1, released last week, Rogue appears to have super strength/the power of flight again.

Can you still buy it in comic form or do you have to read it online? Is the first issue already a collectors item?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get comics from Disposable Heroes, they still have it:

http://www.disposableheroes.co.uk/back-issues/marvel/x-men-1-now/prod_8272.html

(Other comic shops are available)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I get comics from Disposable Heroes, they still have it:

http://www.disposableheroes.co.uk/back-issues/marvel/x-men-1-now/prod_8272.html

(Other comic shops are available)

And shes wearing her original outfit too! Ta m8.