Flying to NYC on Monday. F**king petrified.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    If you're flying BA you might be on a 777 with 2 engines. They seem to swap them quite a lot on that route.
  • Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't go then.

You're going NYC baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol is the best cure for fear of flying. ;) I flew to Dubai and got so drunk I don't remember most of it, now I never fly sober.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fellow terrified flyer who has, nevertheless, probably circumnavigated the globe several times, I could offer the OP some good advice.

He seems to have disappeared however.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    As a fellow terrified flyer who has, nevertheless, probably circumnavigated the globe several times, I could offer the OP some good advice.

You never know, he might have a job or a life. It was only earlier today he posted.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

That's a shame, I was hoping to have his ticket. :D
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Ok so I'm flying to New York JFK on Monday from London Heathrow and I cant take my mind of it. I don't know what to do I'm just so anxious. I havent flown since I was 12...

It's a hulking boeing 747 to make things worse...

I guess what scares me most is take off, the motion, the angle when the plane banks... ugh

I've never had a panic attack before but this anticipation is killing me. I thought I'd be okay but this is getting worse and worse. Theres no going back.. I need help

Why not stay up all night then on the plane take a sleep aid such as diphenhydramine 50mg, you should sleep through it.

Another option is using propranolol 40mg for anxiety and panic attacks.

Do see your GP and see what they recommend.

You do have to remember plane crashes are very rare, what maybe two a year or something, so you're more likely to be killed getting to the airport.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    iNCY wrote: »
    If you're flying BA you might be on a 777 with 2 engines. They seem to swap them quite a lot on that route.

I'm flying to Incheon International, South Korea in April. It's an 11 hour flight on a BA 777, the only thing I'm worried about is the in-flight food, not sure if I should pick the vegetarian option as I hear the vegetarian food is usually fresh.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Statistically you're probably more at risk being in NYC rather than the plane! :eek:

If I were you I'd be excited to be going to New York on Monday instead of work :p
  • BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    [highlight]Statistically you're probably more at risk being in NYC rather than the plane![/highlight] :eek:

If I were you I'd be excited to be going to New York on Monday instead of work :p

That is SO true.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched the entire aircraft accident and mayday series, most of the crashes are down to stupid pilot errors, you wouldn't believe how thick some of them are

The airspeed sensors in airliners are notoriously unreliable, I certainly wouldn't fly in an old model like a 747, it only takes just one of those pitot tubes to get blocked
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm flying to Incheon International, South Korea in April. It's an 11 hour flight on a BA 777, the only thing I'm worried about is the in-flight food, not sure if I should pick the vegetarian option as I hear the vegetarian food is usually fresh.

The food will be fine . ..- within the usual restraints of airline offerings of course .

Fresh vegetarian food ?:eek: - for sure not in a Y cabin
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sit at the back. They don't crash backwards. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have your ticket if you won't go?
  • JustifiedJustified Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The food will be fine . ..- within the usual restraints of airline offerings of course .

Fresh vegetarian food ?:eek: - for sure not in a Y cabin
    I think that unless there were vegetarian meals available that had high protein content, (such as pasta), I would kick off big time if there was only vegetarian meals available! :mad: I tend to get extremely irritable if I haven't had anything which is high in protein for a long while! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valium might be a good idea if you're really having problems, but please, please, please don't take them with alcohol!

I couldn't agree more. Many years ago I had a boyfriend who was prescribed Valium. We went on holiday to Greece together and he took some Valium for the flight home - along with a fair few duty free drinks.

He soon turned aggressive, nasty and violent towards me, with no provocation. The air hostesses ignited me to sit with them in their seats, so I could get away from him. Horrible experience :eek:
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Can I have your ticket if you won't go?
    I was going to ask the same question. :D
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is SO true.

Is it? Are you in the South Bronx?
    Forum Member
    I was going to ask the same question. :D
    No, if anybody, the ticket should be going to me! :mad:

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justified wrote: »
    No, if anybody, the ticket should be going to me! :mad:

:D

With that username, I'm hoping your reason for wanting it is justified ;)
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    With that username, I'm hoping your reason for wanting it is justified ;)
    My reason being is because I want a reason to escape from my boring work life, just for one week! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Is it really a good idea to take valium? Even though its very unlikely in an emergency situation I'd like to be fully alert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justified wrote: »
    My reason being is because I want a reason to escape from my boring work life, just for one week! :cool:

Good enough :D It's all yours ;)
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know someone working the late flight for Virgin. . .

tell whoever serves you scotch was intouch ;) if its VS youre flying lol
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    The air hostesses ignited me

I'm sure that's not allowed on airplanes :eek: