PS4 doesn't require subscription for all online

whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a surprise to me
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/29/4567574/sony-drops-subscription-playstation-4-party-chat-apps

We've written our game to require it. it doesn't require any code change game side because its all DRM permissions, but still interesting.

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still annoyed they have started charging to play online :mad: :mad:

PS+ is good in its own right, it didn't need this to force people to subscribe. I worry that at the moment PS+ is great because they want to encourage people to subscribe, but now PS+ is required to play online they wont have to try so hard with the content on PS+ as a lot of people will just paid the online gaming tax to play with their friends.
    free-to-play games, which is another thing that Microsoft charges for.

:D:D
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    PS+ is good in its own right, it didn't need this to force people to subscribe. I worry that at the moment PS+ is great because they want to encourage people to subscribe, but now PS+ is required to play online they wont have to try so hard with the content on PS+ as a lot of people will just paid the online gaming tax to play with their friends.

This. I raised that exact same point in the PS3 sub-forums but got ignored.

Sony have to try hard right now to get people to sign up to PS+ but like you say why should they once the PS4 is out? Hopefully they will continue but the incentive for them to do so is reduced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I'm confident that Sony will keep PS+ good as they know how important it is to their consumers.
    Look at how they catered to them at E3 with the new console, the games and overall agenda.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

Sony have to try hard right now to get people to sign up to PS+ but like you say why should they once the PS4 is out? Hopefully they will continue but the incentive for them to do so is reduced.

I suppose it might not matter if Sony do introduce Gaikai stream subscriptions and PS+ service tiers as they will always be trying to incentivise people to step up to the next tier.

But its still something which worries me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

A good point, I think we need MS to continue the Games with Gold so that Sony has a reason to keep the bar at the high level it is now.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much will it cost to play PS4 games online?
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    How much will it cost to play PS4 games online?
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/reward_game/playstationplus-one-year-membership/cid=IP9102-NPIA90006_01-PSPLUSSUBS365DAY

It usually costs £39.99 for a year however several times a year Sony will reduce the price to £29.99 for an annual subscription or offer 15 months for £39.99. Alternatively you can get a 90 day subscription for £11.99.

PS+ provides services and discounts for 4 consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita & PSP).