Best time to travel on motorway

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
Forum Member
Hi everyone, hope all is well.

I am going to be travelling from the South West to Midlands tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking the M3, then M25 and finally M1. However, I've been informed these are very busy motorways especially the M1.

So, I'm seeking some advice on the best time to travel or maybe an alterative route?

Cheers,
KG

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try my best to travel at night, never any traffic then :)
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what time you wish to get there? Obviously if you travel overnight that would be the best time. Main thing is to avoid the peak periods although this week the traffic will start to ease off as we go through the week as people start stopping for holidays. The route seems ok. :)
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tip, instead of taking the M25 round to the M1, is to head North on the M40, and then at Cherwell Valley take the A43 East to join the M1 near Northampton.

(Depending on where you are starting on the M3, I would be tempted to take the A34 up to the M3, and miss out the 25 altogether)

As for best time, middle of the night is best, rush hours worst, everything else in between...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.

Middle of the night makes sense but I'm concerned I'll get there too early and have to wait around. I was hoping to get there for 1100ish.

johnny_t, I'll look into that M40 route if it avoids Luton roadworks.

Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    killerguy wrote: »
    Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.

Middle of the night makes sense but I'm concerned I'll get there too early and have to wait around. I was hoping to get there for 1100ish.

johnny_t, I'll look into that M40 route if it avoids Luton roadworks.

Thanks again.

how important is whatever you are going for ??? , if it was me i would rather be hours early and find something to do , even if it was walking around shops than be late :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no not at night because some places have no lights its scary
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am going to be travelling from the South West to Midlands tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking the M3, then M25 and finally M1. However, I've been informed these are very busy motorways especially the M1.

So, I'm seeking some advice on the best time to travel or maybe an alterative route?

Cheers,
    KG

Obviously, I don't know exactly where you're starting from or going to, but I'd do A303-A34-M40. Leave the M3/M25 well alone. Mother lives in Stratford UA, and I live in the north of Hants, so I do the journey fairly regularly.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like said, nighttime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Avoid the M25 unless you're travelling at 2 in the morning or you like sitting in car parks.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Cheers,
    KG

Where are you travelling from in the South West????
    I don't understand why you would go over to the Southampton/Portsmouth area then travel north-east and then north west to get to the Midlands...
    However, the M40 is a better bet than the M1, and honestly the best way is to take the A34 around Newbury and Oxford and up to the M40 at Bicester, but in England, you never can tell, keep the TA on at all times on your car radio.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you need to be there at 11am you will be travelling in peak traffic time, and all roads will be busy.
    If I needed to be there for that time, I'd probably leave early enough to get there for 8, and find somewherefor a good leisurely breakfast and a relaxing read of the papers. you've half a chance of missing the worst traffic at that time.
    Otherwise there's no telling how bad it would be.

Absolutely avoid the M1, and also the M25 if poss.
  • Emerald InnsEmerald Inns Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're in the South West then why don't you take the M5 out of Exeter and then up to Birmingham? :confused:
  • mazeymazey Posts: 136,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The M25 was a nightmare this morning from the M40 to M1 section, exit J17 clockwise closed for ages, not helped by an accident near J1a on the M40. Local traffic backed up, it took me an hour to get 5 miles.

Why take the M3 from the South-West? M4/ M5 must be better, avoid Oxford on A roads and outer London in the morning if possible.
  • Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    If you're in the South West then why don't you take the M5 out of Exeter and then up to Birmingham? :confused:

I was thinking the exact same thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to contribute, whenever we drive to the GF's parents (M1-M25-M23), we go to bed about 9pm and get up and leave at 4 or 5 am.

Roads are pretty much empty, especially on the vital M25 stretch.