Should electrical plugs get hot?

MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, total trivia time now, but it made me wonder. I was using the carpet shampooer earlier (made a very nice job of it, too ;) ) and after pulling the plug out of the socket I was winding in the cable and touched the plug, and the metal prongs of the plug were absolutely red hot - I burnt the palm of my hand and still have a mark. Obviously electricity is energy is heat, but I've never, ever noticed this before, ever. Is this normal or does it indicate something potentially faulty?

Comments

• FatboyfunFatboyfun Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    They may get warm if your pulling 13Amps but not red hot, Are the pins black? Older plugs and sockets that are pitted will get hotter as there is less contact area for the current to flow through.
  • williammurwilliammur Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont have a clue if its safe or not, but I have never had that happen to me.
  • FERAL SHARKEYFERAL SHARKEY Posts: 3,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no,
    check out the appliance and replace plug asap .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Hot-ish, as in body temperature, would be normal if it's running at its full whack of 13amps for any length of time. But hot as you describe? Definitely not.
  • booiebooie Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Sounds to me like its arcing, this causes it to heat up. Get a qulified electircian to check it out.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adapters can get warm like mobile phone ones and laptop chargers but normal plugs should not get hot.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost definitely a loose connection inside the plug itself. If it's a moulded plug then cut it off and replace it with a good quality plug (MK are good). If it's not a moulded one then take it apart and tighten all three of the connections.

The only other thing it could be is a faulty socket, but more likely to be the plug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The appliance and plug might both be fine - it could be loose or worn contacts within the socket.
    Forum Member
    I remember from my tv installation days people running a large screen crt tv, video, dvd player, 5.1 surround sound system, floor lamps, games consoles, fish tank and more from ONE wall socket with multiple 2/3 into 1 adaptors. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Fatboyfun wrote: »
    I remember from my tv installation days people running a large screen crt tv, video, dvd player, 5.1 surround sound system, floor lamps, games consoles, fish tank and more from ONE wall socket with multiple 2/3 into 1 adaptors. :D

That sounds fine to me, depends on the total wattage but probably not enough there to overload a single socket.
    Forum Member
    That sounds fine to me, depends on the total wattage but probably not enough to overload a single socket.

At least use a 4/6 way extension and not a rubiks cube of adaptors that was pulling the socket out the wall under it's own weight lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    That sounds fine to me, depends on the total wattage but probably not enough to overload a single socket.

And even if it was, the socket would be protected by the 13amp fuse in whatever was plugged into it.

Ummm.........actually I have to qualify that. There are still some multi-adaptors around without fuses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds fine to me, depends on the total wattage but probably not enough there to overload a single socket.

Indeed, but not to be recommended because the weight of all those adapters, plugs and leads hanging off a wall socket will cause the plug to sit at an angle and spread the socket's contacts, leading to a poor connection which can then arc. A four-way extension lead is a safer solution.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    Obviously electricity is energy is heat

Wut?

Mind=blown
    Forum Member
    Another gem from my previous life was the woman who wanted me to set up a 32" crt tv on the draining board next to the sink in her tiny kitchen. :eek:
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatboyfun wrote: »
    Another gem from my previous life was the woman who wanted me to set up a 32" crt tv on the draining board next to the sink in her tiny kitchen. :eek:

That's shocking. Hope you put her in the picture. :D
    Forum Member
    Tactfully explain that water and electricity do not mix well together and left with the tv, She wasn't happy though. :D

I always said that some people should take a test to get a tv license. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    no,
    check out the appliance and replace plug asap .

Its more likely to be the socket; could be "arcing" if its old and the contacts are pitted. One easy thing to check - switch off power to the sockets, take cover off, check the tightness of the screws holding the leads.