Legal questions regarding Hollyoaks?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,474
Forum Member
You know how that Doctor Paul wassissname testified (a.k.a told a load of bull **** to save Mercedes (aka Satan, Beelzebub, the horned one) the other week in court so that she could get off with two counts of perverting the course of justice?

Right, that's all well and good (well, it's not. Not at all. They are both scum and filth of the highest caliber).

What I want to ask (someone who knows more about these things than I) is surely Dr. Paul would still be banged up waiting on his own triall. I mean they wouldn't just let him free on a a MURDER charge based on some duious say so from someone whose moral character is not exactly of the highest standing.

He would still be on remand until he was in court in for his murder trial.

Comments

• lulu glulu g Posts: 52,606
    Forum Member
    I presumed his trial had taken place (off screen) since Mercedes's trial. He said he had been acquitted. Yes, it's all pretty daft, but I suppose the idea is that the story about Riley being a possible culprit in both cases introduced reasonable doubt and therefore both defendants had to be found not guilty.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    makaveli82 wrote: »
    You know how that Doctor Paul wassissname testified (a.k.a told a load of bull **** to save Mercedes (aka Satan, Beelzebub, the horned one) the other week in court so that she could get off with two counts of perverting the course of justice?

Right, that's all well and good (well, it's not. Not at all. They are both scum and filth of the highest caliber).

What I want to ask (someone who knows more about these things than I) is surely Dr. Paul would still be banged up waiting on his own triall. I mean they wouldn't just let him free on a a MURDER charge based on some duious say so from someone whose moral character is not exactly of the highest standing.

exactly, even more ridiculous the hospital have re employed him straight out of jail for a murder charge:rolleyes:
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,606
    Forum Member
    exactly, even more ridiculous the hospital have re employed him straight out of jail for a murder charge:rolleyes:
    It did seem a bit strange but then, if you are found not guilty of a crime, it would be pretty harsh to lose your job.
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares?

Better a few months of mercedes and dr b causing chaos round the village than a ten minute legally accurate court case scene. This isnt law and order!
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would have lost his licence regardless, the entire thing is a farce.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

exactly even worse jacqui knows he killed lynsey but didnt mind letting him in the house with her entire family:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly even worse jacqui knows he killed lynsey but didnt mind letting him in the house with her entire family:confused:

Jacqui probably can't be arsed fighting that battle right now with all the Rhys stuff still on her mind. She's hardly herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    Jacqui probably can't be arsed fighting that battle right now with all the Rhys stuff still on her mind. She's hardly herself.
    Really? She's saw overcome that she can't confront the murderer in her living room? It's the kind of thing that, no matter what state you're in, you'd make time for, especially as there are kids in the house! It's beyond suspension of disbelief but I can't deny that storywise, it's probably for the best.
  • bonyo0030bonyo0030 Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    Really? She's saw overcome that she can't confront the murderer in her living room? It's the kind of thing that, no matter what state you're in, you'd make time for, especially as there are kids in the house! It's beyond suspension of disbelief but I can't deny that storywise, it's probably for the best.
    well living with theresa probably as softened there out look on murderers.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

Why would he have lost his licence? I don't understand how that would happen if he was found not guilty.

Personally, and sadly, I think its actually entirely realistic he's got away with it because the evidence was so slim. TBH i'm not at all fussy for the character either so I could have lived without him coming back fine.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    ScouseBird wrote: »
    Who cares?

Better a few months of mercedes and dr b causing chaos round the village than a ten minute legally accurate court case scene. This isnt law and order!

One of the things that made Hollyoaks great was seeing characters face the full consequences of their actions, but Hollyoaks is a joke. All they did yet again is stick two fingers up at the audience and get Mercedes off because she is a McQueen and no one at Lime Pictures has the balls to axe one of them.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,731
    Forum Member
    Who cares?

You can have drama and chaos in legally accurate court scenes, especially with two outlandish characters like Mercy and Dr. Browning. But this is HO not bothering to research anything and not really caring at all. And why should I care, if they don't care?
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    More likely she has Soap Opera Selective Memory Syndrome. It's a pretty common condition, effecting anyone of any age, who forgets certain facts to prop the latest character or storyline that TPTB are in love with. *gag*

Even with all the Rhys stuff, Jacqui would still have made time to throw a death stare or a knowing threatening glare his way.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would he have lost his licence? I don't understand how that would happen if he was found not guilty.

Personally, and sadly, I think its actually entirely realistic he's got away with it because the evidence was so slim. TBH i'm not at all fussy for the character either so I could have lived without him coming back fine.

Exactly, there was no real evidence that he killed Lyndsey, the only people who know that he did are Walker,the viewers and I think Mercedes knows. Jacqui found Lyndsey's scarf in Browning's desk drawer but that isnt proof of anything. The surprise is not that he was found not guilty but that the case came to trial in the first place. As far as his license to practice medicine is concerned, why would that be revoked? He's not guilty in the eyes of the law
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, there was no real evidence that he killed Lyndsey, the only people who know that he did are Walker,the viewers and I think Mercedes knows. Jacqui found Lyndsey's scarf in Browning's desk drawer but that isnt proof of anything. The surprise is not that he was found not guilty but that the case came to trial in the first place. As far as his license to practice medicine is concerned, why would that be revoked? He's not guilty in the eyes of the law

This is true. plus he DID confess to Mercedes and said he had done it 'for her'. The only thing that can be proved he is guilty of is running away. The reasonable doubt scenario is there for a reason. As long as Mercedes was acquitted once Riley was a possible suspect, then became obvious that Dr B would get off too.

The catalyst was Mercedes trial. Pheobe, the star witness was bullied by the defence into painting a picture of the 'no so bad' Mercedes and by the Myra into lying to save Mercedes.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    In Corrie Toxic was sent down for life - 15 years - for the cold blooded pre-meditated murder of Charlie Stubbs.

She was released after about 2 years because she wanted to go back to Corrie so they came up with some pathetic legal reason - some mistake made - why she should be released. Even though at the time a huge thing was made of the court case, so presumably the Corrie bosses made sure everything was above board as if it was real life.

It's what they do in soaps. For things like this 'It's obviously not real life' should always be flagged relentlessly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,474
    Forum Member
    bonyo0030 wrote: »
    well living with theresa probably as softened there out look on murderers.

Who could blame sexy, sexy Theresa for murder though?
    Forum Member
    surfie wrote: »
    One of the things that made Hollyoaks great was seeing characters face the full consequences of their actions, but Hollyoaks is a joke. All they did yet again is stick two fingers up at the audience and get Mercedes off because she is a McQueen and no one at Lime Pictures has the balls to axe one of them.

If Brendan ever faced the consequences of his actions (killing Darren Day) I would be distraught. Without Brendan I doubt I would bother watching the show.

Brendan is the ****ing man! :cool:
    Forum Member

Guilty or not, I reckon he would be on a LONG period of probation.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guilty or not, I reckon he would be on a LONG period of probation.

Why? Dr Browning wasn't accused of being unfit to practice medicine.
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB: I undertand why you say that about Dr. Browning as he has committed murder, but why Mercedes? I know she lies ALOT but that's the worst thing she's done. She hasn't killed anyone or tried to kill anyone. I also wonder what your views are on Theresa, as she's a murderer too, and Brendan, a double murderer and domestic abuser and
    hit man in some ways as he is plotting his fathers death next week
    ? Just out of interest, I'm not trying to be horrible :)
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Is this the doctor who has told Myra she's dying, when she's not?
  • FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares?

Weren't you whinging and moaning about how unrealistic other soaps are the other day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB: I undertand why you say that about Dr. Browning as he has committed murder, but why Mercedes? I know she lies ALOT but that's the worst thing she's done. She hasn't killed anyone or tried to kill anyone. I also wonder what your views are on Theresa, as she's a murderer too, and Brendan, a double murderer and domestic abuser and
    hit man in some ways as he is plotting his fathers death next week
    ? Just out of interest, I'm not trying to be horrible :)

Murderers are often not so bad as other offenders, even though they have taken a life. Invariably as in the cases of Brendan, Theresa and even DR B they are crimes of passion. None of them were premeditated and all were done to protect a loved one in the case of Brendan and Dr B and out of jealousy in the case of Theresa. Even Dr B making Myra think she is dying, which is despicable, is for the love of Mercedes.

Mercedes, on the other hand, is a narcissistic sociopath. She has no morals or guilt and will walk over anyone and everyone, even her own son, who she doesn't even care about, to get what she wants for herself and herself alone. Charismatic, when she needs to be. She has no conscience. She may not have committed murder but didn't care that someone else did for her. Maybe not as deadly on the surface but far more deadly emotionally IMO.
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't you whinging and moaning about how unrealistic other soaps are the other day?

If your talking about how unrealistic 3 men getting a text at the same time for nearly a year then yes i was. HO is hardly the first to show an unrealistic court case so a good character can get off, a good character who has alot of potential to cause drama round the village :rolleyes:
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoToBo wrote: »
    Murderers are often not so bad as other offenders, even though they have taken a life. Invariably as in the cases of Brendan, Theresa and even DR B they are crimes of passion. None of them were premeditated and all were done to protect a loved one in the case of Brendan and Dr B and out of jealousy in the case of Theresa. Even Dr B making Myra think she is dying, which is despicable, is for the love of Mercedes.

Mercedes, on the other hand, is a narcissistic sociopath. She has no morals or guilt and will walk over anyone and everyone, even her own son, who she doesn't even care about, to get what she wants for herself and herself alone. Charismatic, when she needs to be. She has no conscience. She may not have committed murder but didn't care that someone else did for her. Maybe not as deadly on the surface but far more deadly emotionally IMO.

That's a good point. IMO I prefer Mercy, she is such a good villain! :)