Coronation Street, Wednesday 23/1/13, 7:00pm - Halfway Down The Stairs

1789101113»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Surely she will get Anna to look after her like she does with Hope now.

Most of the character likely to get axed weren't included in the analysis

Analysis would suggest
    Dev _ However moans a lot so might stay. And his children if they don't go when there mother does.
    Nick
    Katie She's much too good to stay in this nonsense
    Kirk
    Maria - Her head will get too big after being on DOI
    Kylie - Another Actress much too good to waste her time with Corrie.
    Gary - Hopefully killed off
    Izzy and her father
    Mary - EDB won't have anytime for her.
    Rita - EDB doesn't really like older character.
    Nigel Havers - Don't know why he is slumming it there in the first place he has worked with Sally Field you know.
    Norris EDB won't understand him.
    Rob - the deadwood will need trimming.

One of the reasons he's 'slumming it' is because a part in a soap, or long-running drama (Casualty, and the like) is about the only work going for actors, these days.

It may be the reason that actors you would least expect, are turning up in shows you'd least expect. Production companies are closing down. More reality TV is being made, because it's cheaper. The general state of the TV and film industries coat, has been on a rather shoogly (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shoogly) peg for a long time. :)
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junnja wrote: »
    One of the reasons he's 'slumming it' is because a part in a soap, or long-running drama (Casualty, and the like) is about the only work going for actors, these days.

It may be the reason that actors you would least expect, are turning up in shows you'd least expect. Production companies are closing down. More reality TV is being made, because it's cheaper. The general state of the TV and film industries coat, has been on a rather shoogly (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shoogly) peg for a long time. :)

Hardly most British actors seem to be getting loads of work in the US, as was Nigel Havers which is why I found it strange he joined Corrie.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Nowt to say as Lotty27 (#256) pretty much summed up everything I thought :D

Oooh my 4000th post.

Glad to be of assistance :)

And congratulations!
    xynaria wrote: »
    Way beyond awful and it's such a shame as there's some good stuff trying to get out, not to mention Natalie being able to act the socks off practically anything.....She deserved the award she didn't get and she and we deserve far better writing.........

It's absolutely impossible for me to agree with this more. She actually shows up some actors (*cough* Fiz!) and unless I'm mistaken the actor who plays Tyrone has upped his game now he's playing opposite her which is good. And could be behind what his win last night.

Speaking of that did anyone see Alan's reaction on the NTA's when he won? I genuinely don't think he was expecting it because he seemed to jump with shock :D He did a nice speech too and didn't forget Liz Dawn and Bill Tarmey. Impressed, he seemed a lovely lad.
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Well done you, congrats. At this hour I can only offer you one of my cornflakes.

And yes, Lotteh is a great summer-upperer :cool:

I'm going to be getting a big head here :o

(but thank ye kindly Onj!)
    Even though I haven't read the thread yet.

Well done Lotty summation is always very good.

Analysis is imminent, well sometime this morning anyway.

Thank you too Kwynne and as per I really enjoyed reading your analysis :)
    Melp26 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that Kirsty has mental problems as a result of her upbringing, I do not think this excuses her behaviour. She could have sought help to work through her issues when Ty was very supportive of her, she chose not to.

Also I don't agree that her anger is uincontrollable. If it were she would alway hit Ty behind closed doors where no-one can see. She'd lose her temper in the pub or street or something but no, she holds onto her anger until they are alone.

I completely agree with this. I've thought for a while that she can control it when it suits her. Quite frankly she's just a complete bully like her dad but the actress is phenomenal and makes the character interesting to watch as we see so many layers to her. But ultimately she should have gone to those counselling sessions - it would be very hard to take the first step and go but it had to be done and she didn't.

EDIT: Forgot to ask you Kwynne - what's it like under that bridge? :p:D Honest Sian, he's not a troll he's just very direct at times :D

And bugger! I put 5 on that poll instead of 6 by accident :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well done you, congrats. At this hour I can only offer you one of my cornflakes. :)

And yes, Lotteh is a great summer-upperer :cool:

:D:D:D:D
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw Sharon Marshall (soap queen) on TM and she says there is no cull planned anyway. Lewis apparently filmed his last scenes in November, so nothing to do with SB and they haven't yet made plans to get rid of Krazy. Nevertheless, I do fear for some of the older characters as time goes on, but there would be outrage if he tried to get rid of Rita or Norris, (specially from me).:mad:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a453428/coronation-street-bosses-want-third-lewis-stint.html
    Coronation Street bosses will reportedly try to persuade Nigel Havers to return for a third stint after he leaves next month.

His plot with Gail will come to a head on February 1, at which point the conman will depart Weatherfield for a second time.
    A source told The Mirror: "Nigel filmed his final scenes at the end of last month and viewers will see his exit next week - in dramatic fashion.

"Gail will discover the truth about what a liar he is, though Lewis aims to get the last laugh by leaving her a cruel message, to twist the knife yet further.

"But the plan is to leave the door open for a return in the future, as Nigel's character is extremely popular with the audience."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kwynny, you left Ryan off your list
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a453428/coronation-street-bosses-want-third-lewis-stint.html
    Coronation Street bosses will reportedly try to persuade Nigel Havers to return for a third stint after he leaves next month.

His plot with Gail will come to a head on February 1, at which point the conman will depart Weatherfield for a second time.
    A source told The Mirror: "Nigel filmed his final scenes at the end of last month and viewers will see his exit next week - in dramatic fashion.

"Gail will discover the truth about what a liar he is, though Lewis aims to get the last laugh by leaving her a cruel message, to twist the knife yet further.

"But the plan is to leave the door open for a return in the future, as Nigel's character is extremely popular with the audience."

That's excellent news, k9. I'm sure he'll back at some point then.

:cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    Kwynny, you left Ryan off your list

There is a good reason for that.

I forgot he existed in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly most British actors seem to be getting loads of work in the US. as was Nigel Havers which is why I found it strange he joined Corrie.

Yeah, seem to be getting loads of work in the US.

Most British actors? How many do you think there are in Britain?

How do you know this? Are you just going by the big Hollywood films and tv shows. And the same handful of actors that you see?

At least 80% of jobbing actors in Britain are out of work at the same time. And I'm sure the percentages in the US itself, aren't much better.

Unfortunately, the economic downturn has affected everything. And work within the industry, like a lot of other things, is at an all-time low.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most?

How do you know this? Are you just going by the big Hollywood films and tv shows. And the same handful of actors that you see?

At least 80% of jobbing actors in Britain are out of work at the same time. And I'm sure the percentages in the US itself aren't much better.

Unfortunately, the economic downturn has affected everything. And work within the industry, like a lot of other things, is at an all-time low.

Will quite a few satisfy you better than most.

Even in the good times 80-90% of actors were unemployed at any one time so its probably worse than that now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will quite a few satisfy you better than most.

Even in the good times 80-90% of actors were unemployed at any one time so its probably worse than that now.

That comment means you don't think that most actors are working, then :confused:

It's nothing to do with satisfying me. I work ( I use that term very loosely :D) in the industry. And currently, it's in the worst state, that it's been, in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most British actors? How many do you think there are in Britain?

At least 80% of jobbing actors in Britain are out of work at the same time. And I'm sure the percentages in the US itself, aren't much better.

And yet, someone such as Jamie Shelton was cast in Emmerdale and Marc Baylis in Corrie. Were they seriously the best actors out of the 80% of actors available? I think not and I think it is a case of who you know rather than how good an actor you are. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet, someone such as Jamie Shelton was cast in Emmerdale and Marc Baylis in Corrie. Were they seriously the best actors out of the 80% of actors available? I think not and I think it is a case of who you know rather than how good an actor you are. :(

Who you know, can sometimes play a big part in it for sure.
    But sometimes it's just in the lap of the Gods.

A couple of years ago I auditioned for a a really good part in a one-off drama for the BBC.

I felt, and was told by the casting director, that I had had a really good audition (which means nothing):D. Anyway, about two days later the BBC announced who the cast were going to be. All well-known actors. And some of them had appeared in some huge stuff.

Myself, and a whole load of the actors that audition didn't know we hadn't got our respective parts. until we read about who was doing it.

Now, I know for a fact that most, if not all of the actors cast, would have had to have had an availability check way in advance. As they were all quite high-profile, with busy schedules. So basically, and unknown to me, the person playing the part I read for, had already been cast. So that was a director/casting director/ producer, going through the motions because they have to be seen to be giving any actor a fair chance. But the reality is, they just wasted everybody's time, with auditions for a production they'd already cast.

That's life. But it gets a bit frustrating sometimes.

You don't always hear you haven't got a part. And after 3 or 4 weeks have gone by, and they've finished filming. You can take it, that you didn't get it :D:D

However, announcing the cast so quickly after the auditions, meant they knew who was doing it, wasting everybody's time, and money.

This kind of thing happens all the time. The stories I could tell you. :D:D

Also a lot of people think that if you have an agent that they pay for travel and stuff, to auditions. Do they heck as like!! I had an audition a while back for a TV commercial in London. (I'm in Scotland) I was recalled, and ended up going to London 3 times in one week. Each flight cost 140 quid. Which I paid out of my own pocket. Thankfully, I got the job. But if I hadn't, I would have been 420 quid down on the deal. Which I still had to recover from the fee, before I was making money.

My career choice I know. But part of me can understand, to a certain extent, why some people are looking for the fast track to fame and/or fortune. X-Factor, and the like. Because the reality of a jobbing actor can be a soul-destroying one sometimes. And is one of the few careers where, because of the rejections. you doubt your ability more than most. I know a lot of actors who have given up the fight. And I'm talking about actors who have had considerable work, and reasonable success. People assume they're minted and turning stuff down. The reality is they've disappeared as quickly as they came along. Do you remember 'Soapstars'? The reality show looking for unknowns to be the new family in 'Emmerdale' Well, they came and went very quickly. Whilst in the interim upsetting the other actors in the soap, who had spent three years at drama school. Or had had a wealth of acting experience, by working hard and making their way up through the ranks..

I hope you find this interesting, and not preachy, or saying you know nothing about it. For all I know, you may work in this industry, and have a lot of experience. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.S. Unfortunately, most people taking part in reality shows are either trying to speedily carve out a career in the media. Or attempting to revive a dead one. :yawn:
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.S. Unfortunately, most people taking part in reality shows are either trying to speedily carve out a career in the media. Or attempting to revive a dead one. :yawn:

I feel honoured to have such a knowledgeable and informative run of posts in one of my threads :) it's usually just me drooling over Jason and MrB noticing that the milk float doesn't have realistic tyres :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel honoured to have such a knowledgeable and informative run of posts in one of my threads :) it's usually just me drooling over Jason and MrB noticing that the milk float doesn't have realistic tyres :(

:D:D :D I'm sure there's more to you than that. The sharing of knowledge should be a good thing. And not seen as someone being a bit of a know-all. Which is unfortunately how it's taken sometimes,:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D :D I'm sure there's more to you than that. The sharing of knowledge should be a good thing. And not seen as someone being a bit of a know-all. Which is unfortunately how it's taken sometimes,:):)

No, not at all, I too found your info fascinating, junnja, so thanks for sharing.

It rather confirms what I suspected, ie 'known' actors will usually get a part over an unknown. It's the same with any jobs I suppose - a young untried person will almost always be passed over in favour of someone with experience, but how is the young and inexperienced one ever going to get the experience if nobody will employ them.

Classic Catch 22 really.:(

But I know there are some productions where they insist on using only new faces, and I wish you all the luck in the world in breaking in, if you intend to keep trying. :):)
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fascinating post Junnja - and I was very pleased to read that you got that London job after spending that much on airfares! :eek:

You've got more tales? Please share! :):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not at all, I too found your info fascinating, junnja, so thanks for sharing.

It rather confirms what I suspected, ie 'known' actors will usually get a part over an unknown. It's the same with any jobs I suppose - a young untried person will almost always be passed over in favour of someone with experience, but how is the young and inexperienced one ever going to get the experience if nobody will employ them.

But I know there are some productions where they insist on using only new faces, and I wish you all the luck in the world in breaking in, if you intend to keep trying. :):)

Thanks.Yeah. It's a tough world out there. :)
    lotty27 wrote:
    Fascinating post Junnja - and I was very pleased to read that you got that London job after spending that much on airfares!

You've got more tales? Please share

I was pleased too. However, because of complaints, the ad was pulled after only two weeks. So I didn't quite get the money I could have. Them's the breaks. :D:D
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    junnjam, acting isn't the only profession that happens in. I went from London to Devon for a teaching interview and had to stay overnight. Didn't get the job, along with another candidate from London. The person who was supply teaching it got it. We found out while we were there that it was Devon's policy to only employ people already living in the county and they were interviewing two from outside because they couldn't just give the job it to the supply teacher - they had to interview three.

As we got expenses we ran up as much as we could - upgraded to first class on the train back, had dinner, taxis, etc. Made them pay as much as we could.

Interesting to hear your experience. You'll have to let us know if you're going to appear in something where we can recognise you, but with so many of the big names wanting to appear, particularly in soaps, we can all appreciate it can be very difficult. Hope you get your break soon.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member

I hope I'm not too late to the party with this.

One of my close relatives runs a business that, amongst other things, advises major Hollywood studios on the financial viability of film scripts, ie what box office return it is likely to make so they know what upfront investment is worthwhile to still show a profit. A couple of (I think) interesting insights this gives are:

- 'big name' actors do not uplift the box office by as much as their inflated paycheques. They can also actually get in the way of the viewer's experience, ie 'I'm watching so-and-so in X', rather than just watching X.
    - it's the story that ultimately determines a film's success. Sounds obvious, I know, but it's not always heeded.

Basically, if the story is good, a talented unknown/relative unknown is the better choice

I don't know if the same holds true for TV, as the PR, publicity, reviewing and word-of-mouth model is different from film, but I'm sure we've all been drawn to watch the first episode of a new series because 'thingummy from whatsit' is in it, and never tuned in for subsequent episodes because the story didn't grab us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    junnjam, acting isn't the only profession that happens in. I went from London to Devon for a teaching interview and had to stay overnight. Didn't get the job, along with another candidate from London. The person who was supply teaching it got it. We found out while we were there that it was Devon's policy to only employ people already living in the county and they were interviewing two from outside because they couldn't just give the job it to the supply teacher - they had to interview three.

As we got expenses, we ran up as much as we could - upgraded to first class on the train back, had dinner, taxis, etc. Made them pay as much as we could.

Interesting to hear your experience. You'll have to let us know if you're going to appear in something where we can recognise you, but with so many of the big names wanting to appear, particularly in soaps, we can all appreciate it can be very difficult. Hope you get your break soon.

I wasn't for one minute suggesting that it was. We kinda got on to somewhat of an acting thread. As the previous poster suggested most British actors were doing rather well in the US. I can only comment from my POV.

I know that situations like yours happen all the time in all kinds of jobs. It's disgusting. However, there's also the situation where the person, in your case, the supply teacher who's been doing the job, gets passed over, in favour of someone unknown. That's gotta hurt.

I am quite far down the road time-wise, with my acting career, and have appeared in lots of stuff in film, TV and stage. Not all actors are looking for their big break. most just want to work within the career they've chosen.

It sometimes appears people arel fast tracked, when they're not. An example being a friend of mine, Billy Boyd, who played Pippin in The Lord of the Rings, has been acting for years. Long before TLOTR. He was doing a play at the Traverse Theatre in Edinburgh. Someone with a connection to Peter Jackson saw him, liked his acting, and the fact he's about 4 foot nothing. lol. Suggested him to Peter. And well, the rest is history. I remember doing a whole day of stuff with Billy at a writers workshop on new pieces for theatre, written by various writers from all parts of Europe, for £50. Next thing I know....BOOM!! He's a millionaire. It's a strange business, indeed.

As we got expenses

Actors usually only get expenses when they've got the job. The money spent trying to get it is all self-funded. And in the majority of cases, lost. The more well-known you are, or how much they want you, the less likely you'll have to spend money. I got a call on the night before, that Martin Scorcese wanted to see me for 'Gangs of New York' in London, the following day. Cost me an arm and a leg for the flight, as it was all last minute. Didn't get the job. Money lost. :cry:.

Funnily enough, that TV commercial I was talking about ended up running over, and filming went on right up to the last second. I was flying back up to Scotland and had to get the last flight. The client paid for a taxi, from the centre of London, out to Stansted Airport. £150 :eek: I never paid a penny. As I said, once you get the job. You just lie back and they feed you grapes, so to speak. Doesn't happen very often though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I'm not too late to the party with this.

One of my close relatives runs a business that, amongst other things, advises major Hollywood studios on the financial viability of film scripts, ie what box office return it is likely to make so they know what upfront investment is worthwhile to still show a profit. A couple of (I think) interesting insights this gives are:

- 'big name' actors do not uplift the box office by as much as their inflated paycheques. They can also actually get in the way of the viewer's experience, ie 'I'm watching so-and-so in X', rather than just watching X.
    - it's the story that ultimately determines a film's success. Sounds obvious, I know, but it's not always heeded.

Basically, if the story is good, a talented unknown/relative unknown is the better choice

I don't know if the same holds true for TV, as the PR, publicity, reviewing and word-of-mouth model is different from film, but I'm sure we've all been drawn to watch the first episode of a new series because 'thingummy from whatsit' is in it, and never tuned in for subsequent episodes because the story didn't grab us.

Hi norbi. Re BiB, it certainly sounds like sense, and I can't talk because I rather gave up on cinema years ago, but it seems to me that most box office hits seem to star one of the same 10-15 'big names', which I think probably are a huge draw for fans, but maybe it is in the supporting cast where newcomers have a chance?

As regards TV, I can see that it probably wouldn't have been a realistic idea to cast Brad Bitt as Robbie Donovan, but I'd sure as heck have paid more attention if they had. :D:D:D

Personally, I think TV seems to have an even smaller pool of actors to choose from, hence the reason we see the same old actors time and time again in almost everything. For example, why is almost EVERY ex soap star pretty much guaranteed a place in Holby or Casualty (or The Bill in the old days)? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi norbi.

As regards TV, I can see that it probably wouldn't have been a realistic idea to cast Brad Bitt as Robbie Donovan, but I'd sure as heck have paid more attention if they had. :D:D:D

They've probably all done their one-line bit in some awful TV show, at some point.

Personally, I think TV seems to have an even smaller pool of actors to choose from, hence the reason we see the same old actors time and time again in almost everything. For example, why is almost EVERY ex soap star pretty much guaranteed a place in Holby or Casualty (or The Bill in the old days)? :confused:

OMG!! I so agree.:D:D However, it's not that they a have a smaller pool of actors to choose from. There's thousands of talented unknown actors out there. It's their choice as to who they go with at the end of the day. I'm afraid, as far as imagination is concerned. Some of these so-called professional creatives, can't see further than the end of their nose. I once got told the reason I didn't get a part, was because they were looking for someone with a beard.:D: Yeah, right. I can grow a beard. And if I didn't have time. Why are you seeing people without beards, if you're filming so soon? Don't get me started on the TV stuff.. Apart from the fact most of them got a million-pound golden contract with the TV companies involved. How come nearly every TV drama always seems to have Sarah Lancashire, Robson Green, Caroline Quentin, Anna Friel, Suranne Jones, and the like, in them? Who are IMO, all insufferable. Don't mind seeing someone regularly if their any good. The king of them all must be, Mr one-accent, James Nesbitt. He's shoit. :D:D