Xperia z

jmeaseyjmeasey Posts: 83
Forum Member
Currently got an iPhone 4 and due an upgrade, thinking of an android phone next (had an htc hero before iPhone so had some experience of it)- I like the look of the Xperia Z, anyone got any thoughts on it? Seems very quiet on this forum about this phone!! Looks like a really nice phone, with good camera and stylish, if slightly understated design. (Does remind me of iPhone which is maybe why I like it!). Also considered htc one, but not sure as htc were really slow to upgrade hero to latest version of android which puts me off a bit!

I've seen how some of these threads go, so just to state upfront, not interested in the iOS v android argument, just want to pick a good phone to keep for next couple of years! (Also just to say I don't like the Samsung galaxy S3, so doubt i would like the S4 as looks wise is very similar. don't like the cheap plastic that Samsung seem to favour- I know it's a good phone, not questioning that, and I know loads of people like it but its just not my cup of tea!

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Reasons to buy the HTC One-
    -Faster processor
    -Better software and features/gimmicks (sense 5)
    -Build quality is better
    -Smaller screen with HD resolution + Better viewing angles
    -Screen uses Gorilla Glass 3
    -Good at low light photos
    -Apps such as tv remote app

Reasons for Xperia Z
    -Camera is better for Video and photos (except low light photos)
    -Bigger screen with Sony Bravia engine
    -Micro SD Card compatible (16GB onboard)
    -IP 57 certification (Water proof and dust proof)
    -Excluisve playstation/music unlimited apps
    -Out now

Also i would say HTC are a bit better on updates with Android than Sony.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one - love it. Fast, lovely screen, very easy to use and the battery lasts very well in the stamina mode. The only downside is that fingerprints really show up on it, seems to be more than other phones I've had for some reason.

Have to say I think the build quality is great.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, both are great phones. I liked the Z when I had a play but even the dummy model of the One oozed pure class and I can't wait to try that. If I were you I would have a good play with both before deciding.

And then get the One.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can one choose between the HTC or Sony?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I think I would favour the z
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Had the Xperia Z for a fortnight now & I'm glad I went for it. Battery life is ok gets me through the day with fairly heavy usage which was my biggest concern. Got a couple of niggles (the camera shortcut on lockscreen has vanished & camera itself takes good 3/4 seconds to start up) but apart from that it's been great nippy, nice screen and of course water resistant. Had a long play with a friends HTC One today and although the build is very nice I just couldn't live with Sense 5 or blinkfeed. What really swung it though was the micro sd slot on the Sony. :cool:
  • jmeaseyjmeasey Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies, think I need to go and have a good play with both Sony & htc then!

The One does look like it has more features, the Zoe gallery thing looks good, but guess need to see it properly to see what's its really like.

One is a bit smaller to, not 100% convinced I want phone with huge screen really, whih leads me back to thinking maybe should just go for iphone 5.

Decisions, decisions :-)
  • nicklbnicklb Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I am in the exact place, iPhone 4 but bored with it a little not too impressed with the 5 but don't know which to go for, I like the Sony but its a little large but great looking and good cam don't really want Sami as a little common and not really got the style I want, other issue is iTunes I have an ipad but all music on phone, not sure if I can transfer to the Sony :confused:
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should be able to transfer yoru music from itunes to xperia z
  • Liam_777Liam_777 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    nicklb wrote: »
    I am in the exact place, iPhone 4 but bored with it a little not too impressed with the 5 but don't know which to go for, I like the Sony but its a little large but great looking and good cam don't really want Sami as a little common and not really got the style I want, other issue is iTunes I have an ipad but all music on phone, not sure if I can transfer to the Sony :confused:

I went from iPhone 5 to Xperia Z, it has something called 'Xperia Transfer' which takes your back up from iTunes and puts it all on your Xperia, so I got my Music, Pictures, Contacts, Text Messages and Documents without any hassle. It's a fantastic phone by the way.
    Forum Member
    Liam_777 wrote: »
    I went from iPhone 5 to Xperia Z, it has something called 'Xperia Transfer' which takes your back up from iTunes and puts it all on your Xperia, so I got my Music, Pictures, Contacts, Text Messages and Documents without any hassle. It's a fantastic phone by the way.

Thanks for that, still not sure though its just maybe a little big for me, thinking iPhone 5 now as people are saying its the smoothest os it might be a little boring but it just works
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt know about the Xperia transfer thing. Clever stuff.
    I just got one of these the other day as the wife killed her iPhone 5 and pinched mine until we get it fixed.
    Loving the Xperia Z, though havent been tempted yet to try it in the water yet.....:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know when / if Carphone Warehouse will be selling the Sony Z sim free or pay as you go?
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    get the s4 instead of the xperia z
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get the s4 instead of the xperia z

I don't like the design of the S4 & too big.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    I don't like the design of the S4 & too big.
    The S4 will be smaller than the Xperia Z.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    The S4 will be smaller than the Xperia Z.

Oh well the HTC One looks a better size then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well the HTC One looks a better size then.
    The S4 is smaller than the HTC One in 2/3 dimensions.

The One is 15% larger in terms of volume and 10% heavier than the S4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    The S4 is smaller than the HTC One in 2/3 dimensions.

The One is 15% larger in terms of volume and 10% heavier than the S4.

And the S4 is 50% greater in software bloat.
    Forum Member
    Done it iPhone 5 32gb might not be over flashy just understated and simply works well, upgrade went well and iCloud has basically duplicated everything :-)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shot_gunN wrote: »
    Didnt know about the Xperia transfer thing. Clever stuff.
    Am sure most will just use copy and paste.

It is all I ever use.For me sync software removes users control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the S4 is 50% greater in software bloat.
    And 100% more up-to-date firmware than the Z :rolleyes:
  • jmeaseyjmeasey Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    nicklb- I went for iPhone 5 in end as well. Looked at both the Sony xperia z & dummy version of htc one- both just far too big, didnt like either in 'the flesh'!

iPhone 5 was the one that felt best to hold & use one handed, so was only choice in the end. iCloud was brilliant at moving from iPhone 4 to 5- really impressed with how simple it made it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I think I would favour the z

Different markets, 5 being a smartphone and the Z a phablet.
    The likes of the S3 Mini and the Xperia J size up the 4" market.
    Forum Member
    jmeasey wrote: »
    nicklb- I went for iPhone 5 in end as well. Looked at both the Sony xperia z & dummy version of htc one- both just far too big, didnt like either in 'the flesh'!

iPhone 5 was the one that felt best to hold & use one handed, so was only choice in the end. iCloud was brilliant at moving from iPhone 4 to 5- really impressed with how simple it made it.

I agree matey, really like the phone, just dismissed it initially as not different but it feels so much smoother and slicker than the 4 and your are right set up was an absolute breeze with I cloud it was always one step ahead of me (which doesn't take much to be fair):) so I am a happy choppy wit a great looking phone