Richard lll : The King in the Carpark C4 Monday

Comments

• planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I would be very interested to know about the funeral service because he pre-dated the Reformation soooo....will it be an RC or a CofE service?

i would imagine, from what the Dean said, it may be some kind of multi-denominational thing.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging from the previews of tonights program on CH4, they will be attempting a facial reconstruction.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i would imagine, from what the Dean said, it may be some kind of multi-denominational thing.

Oh dear, the modern age sticks it's PC toe into things...:rolleyes: he was RC so really should be buried as such. Not his fault things changed 100 years later :confused:
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, the modern age sticks it's PC toe into things...:rolleyes: he was RC so really should be buried as such. Not his fault things changed 100 years later :confused:

although not religious myself, i totally agree with you Miss Culture
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As the Reformation and dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 changed religious denominations and made most cathedrals C of E, that's the way it is.

If you're a Christian, you believe in one god - the same god in both the C of E and RC churches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm not religious either, I'm studying for a history degree at the moment so this is terrific news for buffs like me. But I am wondering if they found, say, one of the great Islamic scholars buried in England from 700 years back if they'd give him some generic multi-denominational service:rolleyes:

Totally hypothetical but I just wonder....Richard was Catholic, as they all were back then. An interesting issue to be sorted. Either way I'm looking forward to this show tonight.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The story of the hunt for the remains of the medieval ruler"
    Or so the write-up goes.

Usually the words, "the hunt for" appear in the title.

But maybe documentary makers are realising that some viewers are of the opinion that the words; "the hunt for" signify fifty-five minutes of anticipation, with the revelation in the last five minutes, that they "find nuffin,'" so don't bother to watch.

Another Doghouse Riley own goal! Maybe they could make a documentary about all of those.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the Reformation and dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 changed religious denominations and made most cathedrals C of E, that's the way it is.

If you're a Christian, you believe in one god - the same god in both the C of E and RC churches.

Oh yes, but that's not things have gone - or will ever go;)
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed - typical from the modern British political elite. I'm sure Richard would be overjoyed if he knew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, but that's not things have gone - or will ever go;)

Sorry, I don't understand your point. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he lived during the Renaissance - maybe a Humanist ceremony? that would be interesting.
    Forum Member
    Well I'm not religious either, I'm studying for a history degree at the moment so this is terrific news for buffs like me. But I am wondering if they found, say, one of the great Islamic scholars buried in England from 700 years back if they'd give him some generic multi-denominational service:rolleyes:

Totally hypothetical but I just wonder....Richard was Catholic, as they all were back then. An interesting issue to be sorted. Either way I'm looking forward to this show tonight.

completely random, but i used to work at the British Library many years ago, they house 4 books owned by Richard III and i have held one in my hands! it was signed by him and his wife and had notes in the margins in his hand, i felt very privileged to have had that opportunity.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed - typical from the modern British political elite. I'm sure Richard would be overjoyed if he knew.

I would rather live in a period with the modern British political elite than one where the King of England was being killed on a battlefield!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I don't understand your point. :confused:

Of course christians all worship the same God, it is mode of worship that fractures christianity and has done so since the Reformation....to many christians it certainly would matter if they were buried under one faith - say RC - or a non-denominational if they were subscribed to one e.g. presbyterianism.....worshiping God is not the point, it is how the differing faiths think it should be done.
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it live on BBC news, just after the declaration, I enjoyed the should I/can I/ will I, kiss/ hug /shake, moments amongst the top academics at the table.

Ten out of ten for committal/non committal awkwardness.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    completely random, but i used to work at the British Library many years ago, they house 4 books owned by Richard III and i have held one in my hands! it was signed by him and his wife and had notes in the margins in his hand, i felt very privileged to have had that opportunity.

I saw those during the recent illuminated manuscripts exhibition at the British Library. Very jealous to hear you've actually had the privilege of handling them!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary, I'd say it's pretty major when a body of a King is identified that's been missing for over 500 years.

There have been discussions in Parliament over where he should be buried and that's pretty major too. It would have been nice to see him buried in York, as that's where his heart lay and where he was most admired.

It is of interest but it is not going to result in 'having to rewrite text books' as some other archaeological discoveries have done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And BBC news are bored with to story already...

Not every day that we can look forward to an ex-Minister going away for the proverbial stripey suntan especially an unpopular one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What happens with any pre-Christian remains found when they are reburied, are they buried in accordance with the religion of the time?
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I saw those during the recent illuminated manuscripts exhibition at the British Library. Very jealous to hear you've actually had the privilege of handling them!

It was strangely moving, difficult to explain why! i wondered if it was that he had written his name in the front of the book, just as you do as a child.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What an amazing story planets - I'm so jealous. ;) Can't be many people that can say that they've held a book that was held by a King.
    lundavra wrote: »
    It is of interest but it is not going to result in 'having to rewrite text books' as some other archaeological discoveries have done.

As the Tudor view - Shakespeare's play - was that Richard was a hunchbacked evil doer who killed his nephews, yes, I think some major historical rewriting will have to be done along with some totally different thinking on his personality.
    lundavra wrote: »
    What happens with any pre-Christian remains found when they are reburied, are they buried in accordance with the religion of the time?

I've heard of Roman remains being given Christian burials.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be interesting to see what sort of funeral service is given, and I wonder what the headlines will be in the papers tonight and tomorrow. If I were writing the puns, it'd be "A hearse, a hearse! My kingdom for a hearse!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the Tudor view - Shakespeare's play - was that Richard was a hunchbacked evil doer who killed his nephews, yes, I think some major historical rewriting will have to be done along with some totally different thinking on his personality.

But how can the discovery of his skeleton lead to a 'totally different thinking on his personality'?

It is bit like some of the wild assumptions that you hear on Time Team sometimes
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Doghouse Riley own goal! Maybe they could make a documentary about all of those.

How is it an own goal?
    There's been lots of programmes where they keep viewers hanging on for 55 minutes and "they find nothin!"
    This could have been one of them, but if it isn't, so what?
    There'll be more, you can count on it.

But I made the point that the words "The hunt for" wasn't in the title, just the write-up in a telly mag.

If you read my post properly, you'd see that I made no definitive judgement on this one. So that was your "own goal."

You make me smile, I think you take this board far too seriously, it's only supposed to be a bit of fun, but maybe not for you.