Is your pet microchipped?

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
and if not, would you consider it in the future?

Comments

• dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    and if not, would you consider it in the future?

Yes. Both of my cats are. I don't like collars, so it was the only way for me.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because it's a gerbil.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Yes to both questions.

I was given my cat by a neighbour, who was moving (if I didn't take her in, they would have given her to the CPL). A couple of months after I got her, I had an appointment at the vet to get her chipped (at the same time as having her teeth done). The vet found out that she had already been chipped, and it was a long wait (about 4 weeks IIRC) before the chipping company could transfer her to me. Apparently, they have to try and get the previous owner's permission.

I would always get my cats microchipped, and I would not consider not having it done.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Yes, my cat is microchipped, I also don't like collars on cats in case of choking, and yes I would have it done again with future pets :)
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I finally got my cat micro-chipped about a year ago. He keeps losing his collars and the microchip is just extra security for me and for him. So I know he has a greater chance of being returned if he gets lost or dare I say Killed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my two chipped in order to get them their passports.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I got given the chips when I rehomed my cats as kittens, it was part of the agreement getting them that I get them spayed and chipped.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My two cats were already chipped when I adopted them, but my dog was not. The dog shelter doesn't believe in chipping because of the related health concerns. I've considered having her chipped myself, but I'm conflicted because of said concerns.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and yes :)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is and one we are hoping will be if she gets big enough. Apparently she is not big enough to have one yet.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, mine was microchipped at about 6 months if I remember correctly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Both my dogs were but my cat isn't. He isn't going anywhere so doesn't need to be. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eldest cat isn't - it was kinda new when she was young, and she grew to be a dependable low-roaming cat that we trust a lot.

3yr old MC is; 18-week MC kitten will be getting chipped & snipped in the next couple of weeks.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Both cats are and the hound will be done when he gets neutered.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dog is, couldn't get a licence for him without it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, my cat is not microchipped and I would not do it. i really don't want the risk of a tumor, which from what i have heard can be caused by these microchips.

Anyway, we don't microchip people, well not yet, so why should animals be any different?
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no. and yes.

more through having to have one by 2016 than anything.
    not all that keen on the idea of it, as they can cause issues, but if it has to be done.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My horse is microchipped, every equine has to have it done..
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Yes and yes.
    Mainly to maximise the chances of getting him back, if he was ever to escape the garden - or be let out.
    Also have phone numbers (as well as his name) embroidered into his collar, because he keeps losing tags etc.

He's nearly 6 now - had the chip since he was 18mths, with no issues so far.
    As a matter of routine, my vet scans for the chip when he's in for his booster jab.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    no. and yes.

more through having to have one by 2016 than anything.
    not all that keen on the idea of it, as they can cause issues, but if it has to be done.

That is only for a dog, i know someone who have two dogs and they are not going to get them microchipped, law or no law.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat is from Cats Protection, so she was chipped and spayed before I got her. Just as well as she won't wear a collar but loves being outside.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    yes the RSPCA did it when we adopted her. She finally also has the up to date address. She had an address for somewhere that doesn't even exist any more up until the end of last year.
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both my cats are chipped, I also have a microchip cat-flap which is handy for keeping unwanted visitors out.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, my dog is chipped, but only because he was mandatorily chipped by the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home. I do think though that rescue shelters should give new owners a choice. Along with the health risks, another way of looking at it is if a dog is abandoned after being abused, then a chip will only make it possible for authorities to return the dog to an abusive owner.

My dog is never going to be put into a situation where he can escape or be snatched from the garden. The back garden is well secured and he is always supervised. He is never off lead in a non-enclosed area either. He'll occasionally be tied up outside a shop, but ONLY if all I need to do while in the shop is turn my head and see him. If he were to be out of sight at all I would NEVER leave him outside a shop. However, if owners aren't going to bother keeping their dogs safe like that, then their dogs should be chipped.

I was also wondering if it's illegal for a dog to be in public without a name/address tag. Given that my dog is chipped, I really don't think he needs to wear one. Say you stop to chat to someone and happen to mention that you're going on holiday, then all that person needs to do is look at your dog's tag to know where you live and when the house will be empty. Or if they fancy their chances of stealing your dog, then your dog could become an easy target. Or putting those things aside, you wouldn't go out wearing a shirt with your address printed on it, so why should your dog wear something telling people where you live? I do realize there are pros for tags, but there are also some very big cons.

Any thoughts on what I just said?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Anyway, we don't microchip people, well not yet, so why should animals be any different?
    Language capabilities?

I've yet to hear of a lost cat or dog that has managed to recite its address or telephone number.

I don't believe that microchips cause tumours. There has been an anecdotal incidence of tumours around the shoulderblade area on cats on dogs but these are rare and more likely to be related to repeated vaccinations in that area along with the regular application of anti-flea and tick preparations in the same place. That does concern me.

To reduce the repeated trauma to the neck area, our French vets no longer do annual booster vaccinations there - they do it in the thigh area.

All my cats and dogs are and will be microchipped and I have no concerns about that. Of considerably more concern is a lost animal not being reunited with me. No point in finding a lost dog has been euthanased but consoling yourself by being able to say at least it wouldn't have got a tumour. :rolleyes:
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    He'll occasionally be tied up outside a shop, but ONLY if all I need to do while in the shop is turn my head and see him...
    We're all different... I would never do that.
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I was also wondering if it's illegal for a dog to be in public without a name/address tag. Given that my dog is chipped, I really don't think he needs to wear one. Say you stop to chat to someone and happen to mention that you're going on holiday, then all that person needs to do is look at your dog's tag to know where you live and when the house will be empty. Or if they fancy their chances of stealing your dog, then your dog could become an easy target. Or putting those things aside, you wouldn't go out wearing a shirt with your address printed on it, so why should your dog wear something telling people where you live? I do realize there are pros for tags, but there are also some very big cons.

Any thoughts on what I just said?
    Yes. I think you're a bit neurotic. But anyway, I wouldn't put name and address on tag, just phone number and perhaps post code.