PS4 and PSN Content

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all,

So without trailing through all the E3 stuff, any more on the BC side of things?

Have they said that PSN purchases such as PSone/PS2/PS3/PSN titles will play back?

I'm aware discs won't, however if all digital purchases will, I'd be tempted to sell up pretty soon and get the cash ready for the PS4!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they wont as far as I know.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS3 and PSN titles wont be backward compatible. Not sure anything concrete has been mentioned about PSX and PS2 games downloaded from the store but I would have thought at least the former would be compatible as they are with PS3, PSP and Vita.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, dissapointing bearing in mind some of us have £££'s worth of PSN games.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    The streaming service will launch next year so I'd imagine that any titles bought on PSN PS3 will be able to be streamed. I'd hope so anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    The streaming service will launch next year so I'd imagine that any titles bought on PSN PS3 will be able to be streamed. I'd hope so anyway!

Yeah me too mate. I don't wanna hang on to my PS3 but I want all my PSN titles. All my PSone classics can be played on my Vita, but then there's the PS2/PS3/PSN games I've bought. Can't justify losing them all.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    If you can afford to, just keep your PS3 in the bedroom or somewhere to use as a bluray/media player & you'll keep all your games etc
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do bring them back via streaming they should still be linked to your account so in theory they could give you them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    If they do bring them back via streaming they should still be linked to your account so in theory they could give you them

I will be disappointed if they don't allow you access to the cloud streams of games you have bought on PS3. As you say all that purchase history will still be on your account.

Even better would be if you can put a PS3 disc in and rather than load the disc it starts a stream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I will be disappointed if they don't allow you access to the cloud streams of games you have bought on PS3. As you say all that purchase history will still be on your account.

Even better would be if you can put a PS3 disc in and rather than load the disc it starts a stream.

That would be good... too many PS3 games I love to part with.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we'll have to see how well this streaming service works in reality, i am sceptical, it will require a fast connection if you want smooth gameplay in hd, input lag from the controller will be an issue, you already get a certain amount of input lag from your tv which will be added to by the fact that your streaming it, i can imagine there will be lots of people having to reduce the resolution of the stream to less then hd to get games running smoothly, just because you can stream them doesn't mean you'll want to...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    PS4 is flat - a PS3 could sit on top!
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if we will be able to change our PSN usernames once the PS4 is out?
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Does anybody know if we will be able to change our PSN usernames once the PS4 is out?

No information on that at all. I would like to change mine on the PS3 but on the PS4 it isn't really a problem for me as to anyone on my friends list they will see my real name anyway.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »

You'd think they would allow a change of display name for a modest fee. The reason a fee
    A. To make money but b. To discourage daily name changes. They could leave your existing name as the actual account but allow as above for what folk see.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they allow name changes in Japan. No reason they couldn't roll it out if they wanted to I suppose.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or perhaps a one-time-only chance to change?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    A lot of people have the same question - they know discs are not BC but surely PSN is?

It is all software, running on hardware that is different from the PS4 architecture. Doesn't make much difference if it came on a disc or you downloaded it.

PSN games being smaller and usually less technical would make them a prime candidate for streaming - but expect any such developments later rather than sooner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    A lot of people have the same question - they know discs are not BC but surely PSN is?

It is all software, running on hardware that is different from the PS4 architecture. Doesn't make much difference if it came on a disc or you downloaded it.

PSN games being smaller and usually less technical would make them a prime candidate for streaming - but expect any such developments later rather than sooner.

They said all this bull about the PS3 not being able to play PS2 games... look where we are now - a huge catalogue of PS2 classics on the store.

The PS4 CAN play PSN and PS3 games, they just want to wait to see if they can earn more money from us... i.e. downloadable PS3 games on the store for PS4 playback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I thought with the PS4 I would focus completely on 2 or 3 huge games a year. Which will kinda be impossible as you need to buy PLUS to play online and then have a constant "spam" of new games.

I am not sure I want all that ps3/vita spam that we probably cant escape from in the store or in the sony blog. I would prefer if I could decide whenever I wanted to receive the vita/ps3 stuff, and also if I want the ps4 PLUS games or not. Like its now , you have to constantly check the news to not miss a Plus-Game. As its only yours if you put it in the cart and check out. I am not sure anymore if thats worth it.

I can understand when people want their ps3 collections also on ps4, if emulated or streamed. It definately should be free.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Minis and Playstation suite titles should be comptable with the PS4. HTML 5 based apps like Iplayer will be as well.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    They said all this bull about the PS3 not being able to play PS2 games... look where we are now - a huge catalogue of PS2 classics on the store.

The PS4 CAN play PSN and PS3 games, they just want to wait to see if they can earn more money from us... i.e. downloadable PS3 games on the store for PS4 playback.

PS3 can't play PS2 games natively, they recoded or emulated certain titles they thought would sell. Emulating the cell processor is much harder. But you keep to your tin foil hat conspiracy theories if it makes you feel better.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this will all come good with the Gaikai streaming - PS Cloud thing. I would expect this to be linked to your PSN ID too, so you should be able to have access to all PSN purchases and (in theory) any PS3 game which you have trophies registered for (although rentals may prevent that).
    Beyond your existing library it will be interesting to see the pricing structure. Will it be similar to other streaming services (netflix etc.) or on a title by title basis. It would be cool if it linked into plus. Sony are the consumer champions now, so hopefully it will be a good deal:)
    The worry on that is when it will launch. They specified 2014 launch (so probably December!) for the US and then rolling out to other regions.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nedubiz wrote: »
    I think this will all come good with the Gaikai streaming - PS Cloud thing. I would expect this to be linked to your PSN ID too, so you should be able to have access to all PSN purchases and (in theory) any PS3 game which you have trophies registered for (although rentals may prevent that).
    Beyond your existing library it will be interesting to see the pricing structure. Will it be similar to other streaming services (netflix etc.) or on a title by title basis. It would be cool if it linked into plus. Sony are the consumer champions now, so hopefully it will be a good deal:)
    The worry on that is when it will launch. They specified 2014 launch (so probably December!) for the US and then rolling out to other regions.

On the first point, the simple solution to this would be needing to have the disc in the machine to enable streaming of the game.

On the second, let's not get carried away now, they're a multi-billion$ corporation, they want your money as much as MS do, it's just the way they're going about getting it is more palatable to gamers like me and you. And that's fine by me.

Take my Money Sony, take it now.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was kind of being sarcastic - but I guess that did not come across.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the first point, the simple solution to this would be needing to have the disc in the machine to enable streaming of the game.

I hope they do this, I am not sure if its technically possible though (Although I am sitting here thinking "how hard can it be"). One thing that should certainly be possible is streaming content you have bought from the PSN, this is the least I expect when B/C arrives through streaming.