Ice Road Truckers C5 Fridays 8.00pm

Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched ep 2 in this series and have a couple of thoughts...

1. Editing is so bad it destroys the program eg Alex crossing the slushy river...one minute his rig has chains on, next shot it dosent...kind of destroys the anticipation and

2. What a bunch of arrogant tossers

Comments

• spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy watching this show.:)
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    I agree about the continuity - the changes of snow chains and clothes spoils a lot of it.

Can't remember his name, but the one who is in his rookie year after being on that "world's best trucker" competition a year or so ago, comes across as being very arrogant and as a result I have a general dislike for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    I agree about the continuity - the changes of snow chains and clothes spoils a lot of it.

Can't remember his name, but the one who is in his rookie year after being on that "world's best trucker" competition a year or so ago, comes across as being very arrogant and as a result I have a general dislike for him.

Do you mean Rick (the one with the blue hair)?
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Do you mean Rick (the one with the blue hair)?

think means Dave, Rick isnt a rookie he was in the earlier series
    Forum Member
    Yeah, think it was Dave. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh & Rick are lost - how come they don't have satnav?:confused:

Hugh has got his nickname (Polar Bear) on his truck - yet he's with a different truck company now.:confused:
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Hugh & Rick are lost - how come they don't have satnav?:confused:

Hugh has got his nickname (Polar Bear) on his truck - yet he's with a different truck company now.:confused:

hugh owns the truck
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Rick is my favourite :)
    Forum Member
    In the "coming up next week" bit at the end, was that Dave getting the sack?
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was funny when Rick started to threaten the camera man, but then the camera man gave as good as he got and Rick was the one that walked away like a big girls blouse!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not being sexist, but Lisa & Maya seem too sort of, well, delicate to be doing that job, not so much their gender really because if some large gnarled woman got behind the wheel then I wouldn't think that.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I've always watched the show, it makes for appropriate winter viewing whenever there's some ice and snow outside. The biggest issue for me isn't continuity, it's all the repetitive, overly dramatic build-ups at the start of the episode and before ad breaks. These either turn into a slower-paced anticlimax or, in the case of the opening one, it includes series highlights so that the episode feels short-changed. This worked well enough in the first couple of seasons when the format was new, but it now only seems like padding.

Alex is my favourite. He's like a sweet-mouthed version of Quint (Robert Shaw) from Jaws. He even has the missing tooth. He's also, along with the less sweet Dave, the only one (this series) who can string a sentence together for camera, and do so without the need for subtitles.

I've had a soft spot for Rick for years. The thing which draws me to him is how emotional he is. He is there as the series clown, his own worst enemy, always messing up, a short guy trying too hard to be the big man, but always set to be in Polar Bear's shadow. I nearly fell off my sofa this week when Hugh suggested the reason Rick got stuck with his empty trailer was because he drives too fast - this coming from Mr 'dash for the cash" himself, who has previously escaped speeding endorsements by the skin of his teeth, and recently completely wrecked a trailer by driving too fast over bumps.

Not keen on Maya, it seemed like she was originally introduced as a bit of page 3 glamour, complete with her being shown in a bikini enjoying an outdoor spa at the end of a tiring day's training. Main thing is I can't stand the whiney voice, it always sounds like she's speaking through a pinched nose. And I'd sooner watch Dave than Tony, who besides being Captain Slow, also has a temper. Lisa has been great in the past, and became the star of the show, but the novelty's wearing off, especially following her heavy-haul setback, although I did like seeing the peanut butter pony in her kitchen on her day off.