The Mary Berry Story

Comments

• PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    If only more women could grow old gracefully as Mary Berry has. Still you you can't make a silk purse out of a Sour's ear can you?
    I see so many hags walking around where a bit of grooming wouldn't go amiss but the trouble, that cannot easily be rectified, is the terrible speech and grammar that issues from their mouths when they speak. I suppose a lot is due to the genes however.

Speaking of speech and grammar

Proverb : you can't make a silk purse of a sow's ear
    It is not possible to produce something refined, admirable, or valuable from something which is unrefined, unpleasant, or of little or no value
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this....looking forward to the second part.

ktla5 wrote: »
    Mary Berry = Houseparty = Southern TV :-)
    I remember Mary Berry being on Farmhouse Kitchen in the 70's I think.....Made by Yorkshire TV.:rolleyes:
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    This isn't to do with the programme but I absolutely loved one of her demos on the GBBO when she was making a cake using chocolate and said something like "I don't bother with that expensive 80% cocoa solids stuff, good plain chocolate will do!".

Hurrah! An ordinary cook at last, who doesn't have a bowel-moving seizure when someone dares use a 'taboo' product like bournville chocolate!
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Speaking of speech and grammar

Proverb : you can't make a silk purse of a sow's ear
    It is not possible to produce something refined, admirable, or valuable from something which is unrefined, unpleasant, or of little or no value

Exactly, and that's what Hitch was trying to convey. (Isn't it?)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that it's genes where speech and grammar is concerned, that's down to whoever it was who taught those people to speak in the first place.

You do, however, have a point about the grooming, or lack of it, and it does appear to follow a pattern. I'd best not say any more but there is a section of society who all seem to look alike, greasy hair scraped back into a thin ponytail, overweight and wearing tight leggings with a short top that emphasises the rolls of Michelin Man fat.

The education system probably carries a lot of the responsibility. Children might not have had prospects of going to university with lots of worthless qualifications but I bet they got a better education than has happened for many years.

Then years of Labour politicians telling people of their "right" to live off benefits.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd episode on now. Found that interesting how she was given a picture of some strange food to replicate as they couldn't afford to photograph the food. lol!
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't made fish pie for a long time but after seeing Mary's I think I'll make one soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am not a fan of fish pie but even I fancied that. Made me want a potato ricer too. :D
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh wow how sad is that. just tuned in at the bit with the people celebrating their new microwave beautifully positioned in their living room, and then moving on to the sad tale about William :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( It didn't make me cry.... honest... :o
  • azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »

Me either...

She really does seem such a lovely lady. Watching her on British bake off she always has nice comments to make.
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »

No I didn't cry either..."sniff sniff" :(
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    I do love mary berry her comments on bake off are so positive but after that sad story I just admire her spirit even more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That cake looks amazing. Does anyone know which, if any of Mary's books that white chocolate icing is in?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marvellous woman. So sad to see her at her son's grave.

I want that white chocolate filling!
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this. I haven't seen any of Bake Off but next time it's on I will watch it.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider the amount of cake and other baked stuff she and her family must get through, none of them are obese.
    When she tastes food on the TV, she actually eats it. Dosen't have a tiny sliver and then spits it out.

Even the bread baking man with his own oven in the garden was really skinny.

Everyone I know who is on a diet, tries to cut out stuff like carbs and wheat. They must be doing something right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider the amount of cake and other baked stuff she and her family must get through, none of them are obese.
    When she tastes food on the TV, she actually eats it. Dosen't have a tiny sliver and then spits it out.

Even the bread baking man with his own oven in the garden was really skinny.

Everyone I know who is on a diet, tries to cut out stuff like carbs and wheat. They must be doing something right.

You can have all that stuff, in moderation. No diet will be sustainable if you try to completely cut them out.

I think it is lifestyle more than what we actually eat. Her and her family seem active too, going for a walk after lunch and what not rather than just sitting in front of the telly and falling asleep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    white chocolate icing on here for anyone that wants it:

http://social.marksandspencer.com/recipes/mary-berrys-christmas-sweet-treats/
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We really enjoyed that again, I had to blow my nose very hard when her son died.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My heart went out to Mary as she was talking about how her son died. She seems a very decent and hard working woman with a good life style and close family.
    Good for her, she deserves all her success. She had a good start in life and despite the polio, has had health and happiness - and you can tell that she appreciates it all.
    A very interesting couple of programmes about someone who deserves their fame and acclaim - for a change.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,676
    Forum Member
    Very little I could add to that quatro, only that she was obviously a very determined woman in a time when it wasn't easy for women to have a career let alone a career and a family too.

She's a real role model I think, on all counts.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Am not a fan of fish pie but even I fancied that. Made me want a potato ricer too.

I have a potato ricer, there is something very satisfying in pushing those spuds through the holes, far better than a masher, and no lumps. I have a very strong urge to buy a Mary Berry cook book now.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing isn't it - I have watched Mary Berry umpteen times on the Bake off and never imagined that she had polio as a child - I thought she had maybe arthritis in her hands. I never imagined that she had known such devastation in the loss of a child. You just never know, do you.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Amazing isn't it - I have watched Mary Berry umpteen times on the Bake off and never imagined that she had polio as a child - I thought she had maybe arthritis in her hands. I never imagined that she had known such devastation in the loss of a child. You just never know, do you.
    I have just watched this last part of Mary's story as I was out earlier so recorded it and I knew she'd had polio as she told us last week but I didn't know she had lost her son and seeing her at the cemetry brought tears to my eyes.

Isn't she just the most adorable lady... she looks and sounds like she doesn't have an angry bone in her body and sees something good in everything and everyone, especially in the GBBO. Hard to think she's 77-years old.