Withdrawing police statement?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
Forum Member
Is it possible to withdraw a statement made to the police which you have signed?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is, you might get a ticking off for wasting police time though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    humphryb wrote: »
    I believe it is, you might get a ticking off for wasting police time though.

whats the process i have to go threw? i dont really want to have to go into detail as to why I made the statement, but the police came to my house and interviewed me... it was against one of my friends and now i want to withdraw it... The whole case hasnt gone to court or anything yet.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AgentBauer wrote: »
    whats the process i have to go threw? i dont really want to have to go into detail as to why I made the statement, but the police came to my house and interviewed me... it was against one of my friends and now i want to withdraw it... The whole case hasnt gone to court or anything yet.

I'm not sure, but i've known people who have been arrested before and been let off as witnessess have withdrawn the statements.
    You might want to PM DeepPurple he's Ex Police should be able to help http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=139737 :)
  • mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible to withdraw a statement made to the police which you have signed?

if your going to withdraw it, id do it before it goes to court, as my hubby knew someone who did this once it went to court, and he almost was prosecuted himself for wasting police time.
    i cant really see there being a problem though if you do it now :)
    good luck!

molly xxx
  • tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should stick to whatever you said in the statement. Have some principles. Even if they are friends of yours, if they have committed a crime they should take the punishment for it, it's not your fault. Don't feel guilty about it.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a statement is signed it becomes part of the case papers and it cannot be withdrawn. If you recall something you should have said you can make a further statement. Try going to www.cjsonline.gov.uk/witness and that may explain things for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but i think you can withdraw a statement. The Police will check with you and make sure that you are not withdrawing it under duress/pressure and you will probably need to make another statement saying you are withdrawing your complaint.

Again, not 100% sure, but I think CPS could still prosecute your friend if they feel necessary.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of statement is it? Are you accusing someone of a crime against you? The police may be sympathetic if you are the victim but not if your statement is as a witness to a crime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    It depends on the circumstances under which you made it.
    If you made it as an aggrieved person - ie you were formally making a complaint and now you are retracting it and wish for no further police action to be taken, this is possible, however it largely depends on what the offence itself was and whether there were any other witnesses/evidence

You would need to make what is known as a "retraction statement" which details your reasons for doing so and that the decision is of your own free will - however under certain circumstances, a prosecution may still go ahead, if there is other evidence and it is in the public interest for it to do so.

If you made a statement as a witness to an incident you cannot retract that statement as you have signed a declaration stating that what you have said in your statement is true.
    You may state that you are now unwilling to attend court and give evidence, however you may still be summonsed to court to do so if the court deem it necessary.

Hope this helps :)
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    stumblebum wrote: »
    It depends on the circumstances under which you made it.
    If you made it as an aggrieved person - ie you were formally making a complaint and now you are retracting it and wish for no further police action to be taken, this is possible, however it largely depends on what the offence itself was and whether there were any other witnesses/evidence

You would need to make what is known as a "retraction statement" which details your reasons for doing so and that the decision is of your own free will - however under certain circumstances, a prosecution may still go ahead, if there is other evidence and it is in the public interest for it to do so.

If you made a statement as a witness to an incident you cannot retract that statement as you have signed a declaration stating that what you have said in your statement is true.
    You may state that you are now unwilling to attend court and give evidence, however you may still be summonsed to court to do so if the court deem it necessary.

Hope this helps :)

Correct!!! You can apply to modify a statement, or as you stated, say you dont wish to attend court to have your statement challenged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but they won't be best pleased however they are unlikely to do u for wasting police time unless you make ahabit of it