Timed recordings on HDR1000S

paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
Forum Member
Hi,

Is it possible to manually set a timed recording on the HDR1000S ?

The reason I ask is that I record a few programs from ITV3 and it seems they're always approx 5 minutes behind schedule and they don't use accurate record.

The only other option is to set a 10 minute padding to the end of all recordings but if I do that does anyone know what happens when I record two consecutive programs on the same channel ?
If the channel uses accurate record does everything work out OK ?
If the channel doesn't have accurate record does it mean the first 10 minutes of the second program is on the end of the first ?
I know I can try this but thought someone might know already.

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Padding between two programmes using the same tuner is dropped so the second recording should start at it's scheduled start time cutting off the first recording.

To set a manual timer, open the planned recording list and press right to select setrecordings.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious, is it possible to edit a timer set from the EPG (e.g. to add padding to the end of that specific event - I'm looking at you, Channel 4, who have not implemented Freesat Accurate Record as you promised me), or do you have to set a separate manual recording?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    Just curious, is it possible to edit a timer set from the EPG (e.g. to add padding to the end of that specific event - I'm looking at you, Channel 4, who have not implemented Freesat Accurate Record as you promised me), or do you have to set a separate manual recording?

What's the promised me all about :confused:

You can't edit an existing recording, you have to replace with a manual one if you don't want to use autopadding.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the promised me all about :confused:

I got fed up and complained to Channel 4 about their lack of Accurate Recording on Freesat (and/or their inability to run to their scheduled time time) and they assured me by email they were going to implement this in early 2012 (I contacted them in Nov/Dec 2011). Needless to say it did not materialise. Strange considering their support of Freesat is actually pretty good, but this lets it down massively.
    You can't edit an existing recording, you have to replace with a manual one if you don't want to use autopadding.

Thanks for confirming that. That's a pain then, I often have to edit C4 events so that I won't miss the end, and to do that I generally run down the ones I've set from the EPG and add a couple of minutes to the end, and if necessary convert them to manual weekly repeating recordings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    ...so the second recording should start at it's scheduled start time cutting off the first recording...
    That is exactly what happens, but this has some unwanted drawbacks in my case, where I have +2 min start / +10 min end.
    1) Where two successive pgms are recorded on the same channel the second one starts 2 min before it's scheduled time, in other words the +10 is dropped from the first recording.The first pgm ends prematurely and the end of that first is now the beginning of the second. Not a problem on commercial channels showing ads, but a big problem on BBC channels where there is a very short break between pgms.
    2) Where only one pgm is being recorded, when that pgm ends the one immediately following on the same channel shows on the guide as being recorded (for the first 10 mins due to the padding). This confuses some into thinking that this following pgm is actually set to record, and they are subsequently disappointed when it does not turn up on the recordings list. If you do actually want to record that second pgm you have to cancel the short +10 min false recording and set a new one. Essentially the same thing happens if at the last few mins of a pgm (not being recorded) you go into the guide and press "R" on the immediately following pgm on the same channel. Both the current pgm (false recording) and the following one (real recording) now show on the guide as recording.

These problems are clearly due to some false logic in the code supporting the EPG.
  • paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. Shame there isn't a nice work around :(
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Padding between two programmes using the same tuner is dropped so the second recording should start at it's scheduled start time cutting off the first recording.

To set a manual timer, open the planned recording list and press right to select setrecordings.

Does the HDR 1000S not have a dynamic EPG Graham?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fixerman wrote: »
    Does the HDR 1000S not have a dynamic EPG Graham?:confused:

Of course it does, not sure what your point is. I was asked about auto padding and setting manual recordings.

If you set autopadding then accurate record doesn't operate.

Try and record the 2 channel 5 lunchtime soaps on your freesat box. It will work the first day and then switch channels to next episode in the early evening - down to CH5 not having a clue as to how crids work. Only way is a manual weekday repeating timer. Of course with some boxes you don't have the option do you :eek:
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it does, not sure what your point is. I was asked about auto padding and setting manual recordings.

If you set autopadding then accurate record doesn't operate.

Try and record the 2 channel 5 lunchtime soaps on your freesat box. It will work the first day and then switch channels to next episode in the early evening - down to CH5 not having a clue as to how crids work. Only way is a manual weekday repeating timer. Of course with some boxes you don't have the option do you :eek:

I only asked out of genuine curiosity!:o