Windows 7 memory shortage

I have a Win 7 desktop with 8GB of ram a 256GB SSD C drive and a 1.5TB data drive. In the last couple of weeks I have every day received error messages as follow:

"Close programs to prevent information loss. Windows. Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs: Microsoft Outlook." or:

"Your computer is low on memory. To restore enough memory for programs to work correctly save your files and then close or restart all open programs". Apart from Outlook no other files were open in both of these cases (I tend not to open many programs together at one time). I should also add that I also run exactly the same Outlook on my laptop which has only 1GB ram and it works without problems.

Any suggestions for helping me resolve these error messages will be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When's the last time you did a proper reboot?

Have you check Task Manager and/or Resource Monitor to see if any particular application or service is hogging the memory?
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I get such messages sometimes, when I run old stuff. Outlook is not all that old, I know, but it counts as such for this purpose. You did not mention what you do about pagefile. Check to make sure you have it set big enough and managed by Windows.

Also, of course you have other things running. Software will have sneaked in all sorts of junk. Try and install Anvir (its free) and you will find you can stop at least 50 processes running all the time (checking for updates and the like).
    Anvir does loads of things if you want, but the thing for you is to use it as a startup manager.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i run with windows 7 pro 2 gb memory 40gb hDD and thats it.and have never had any problems whatsoever. but i use IE and i been told firefox does not like being used with 2gb memory and nver had such problems. i shudder tothink how many vids you are downloading there yusimply useing far too much of it to run windoes yu need to limitthe amount of memory its useing
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i run with windows 7 pro 2 gb memory 40gb hDD and thats it.and have never had any problems whatsoever. but i use IE and i been told firefox does not like being used with 2gb memory and nver had such problems. i shudder tothink how many vids you are downloading there yusimply useing far too much of it to run windoes yu need to limitthe amount of memory its useing

What? Whose post are you answering?
  • CholasCholas Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. As I said in my OP I run very little in the way of software and to answer Flash Gordon specifically I never download videos. I like the sound of Anvir Johnbee and will take a closer look at that. Perhaps the most significant thing I have done since my post is to use the Norton Removal tool and then reinstall Norton which may well be the culprit as I know it is capable of causing memory problems. We shall see.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 16gigs of Ram and my games get interrupted by a message saying I have low memory and need to turn off Aero. Been thinking it might be a a W7 bug. Task Manager, Virus scan as above have said.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I have 16gigs of Ram and my games get interrupted by a message saying I have low memory and need to turn off Aero. Been thinking it might be a a W7 bug. Task Manager, Virus scan as above have said.

Upgrade to windows 8, it has better memory handling and does not suffer the Aero issue as it no longer has aero :D
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Upgrade to windows 8, it has better memory handling and does not suffer the Aero issue as it no longer has aero :D
    That is if you can get to boot more than once after installing anything.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is if you can get to boot more than once after installing anything.

Explain further :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: