School puddings. .

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
Forum Member
✭✭
My favourite was caramel shortcake

does anyone remember this? shortbread, with caramel and chocolate sprinkles ontop?

would this be similar recipe to millionaires shortbread minus the choc layer ontop?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember chocolate concrete with pink custard?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Don't remember any of these, we had something called a sh!t slab, AKA an Australian Crunchie. Or pink iced buns-hmmmm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pink custard?? wow! i hate custard but i would be tempted to try some again if it was pink
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xjulezyx wrote: »
    pink custard?? wow! i hate custard but i would be tempted to try some again if it was pink

We called it blancmange. It was disgusting.

My favorite was chocolate sponge; some things don't change :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha choc sponge very tasty!!

oh like an angel delight thing? :(
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite from primary school was a caramel tart (like a treacle tart but with a fudge type caramel) with custard came in squares cut from a big metal tray, all home made (well school made but done by hand), the strawberry coconut sponge with pink custard was heaven too, we had great cooks at primary school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    My fave was Manchester Tart..............I now want some!
  • flower faerieflower faerie Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Chocolate sheetcake with a thick chocolate frosting.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha choc sponge very tasty!!

oh like an angel delight thing? :(

No it is custard but flavoured with almond instead of vanilla and coloured pink - I guess to distinguish it from yellow custard? Disgusting stuff either way :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornflake cake and custard was my fav. Cornflake topping with biscuit base and a layer of jam.

The pink custard in my day was cornflour custard or something i seem to remember??

God i hated tapioca (frog spawn) with currants or rasins or some such devils food!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite was caramel shortcake

does anyone remember this? shortbread, with caramel and chocolate sprinkles ontop?

would this be similar recipe to millionaires shortbread minus the choc layer ontop?

We called it butterscotch tart. Used to love it with custard so the toffee melted.

I was actually a fan of school dinners as my mum was such a crap cook.
  • bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved any kind of fruit crumble with custard, or steamed sponge pudding.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    sirpipe wrote: »
    Anyone remember chocolate concrete with pink custard?

I was only thinking about this yesterday - used to love :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rice pudding we had was disgusting, as was the custard when you got the skin. :( Some people used to fight over it (the skin) but it used to make me feel sick.

I liked the caramel shortcake too though OP, as well as the chocolate sponge :)

Sometimes they used to cheat us by giving us a milkshake for pudding :rolleyes: :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a book yesterday called School Dinners, and it had all these pudding recipes in it, as well as the first course recipes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmm its making my mouth water jsut thinking about it... i saw it in a market the other day and it just got me thinking about how to make it and other tasty school puddings we got.

i loved the chocolate cake too, probably a cheap version of choc fudge cake mmmm
  • fairyqueenfairyqueen Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    My favourite from primary school was a caramel tart (like a treacle tart but with a fudge type caramel) with custard came in squares cut from a big metal tray, all home made (well school made but done by hand), the strawberry coconut sponge with pink custard was heaven too, we had great cooks at primary school.

I remember that! I wonder how they made that? we used to line up for 2nd and 3rds until it was all gone! It was the most popular pudding in primary but never saw it again after that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use to love school dinners (well if you sampled my mums food you'd know why ) :o
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the puddings at my school.

Manchester tart - already mentioned I see, only had this at primary school. COmbination of pastry, bananas, jam and thick cold custard. What's not to like?

Cornflake tart - also already mentioned

Jam roly poly - still my favourite of the traditional British stodgy puddings

Syrup sponge - a good tactic was to turn on the charm with the dinner ladies so they'd scrape round the bottom and give you extra syrup gunk.

And the custard was great (never a fan of the pink stuff but that thankfully was limited to primary school - never saw it after the age of 11) - I was one of those oddities who actually wanted the skin.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arctic Roll or treacle sponge were my favourites. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swarfega wrote: »
    Loved the puddings at my school.

Manchester tart - already mentioned I see, only had this at primary school. COmbination of pastry, bananas, jam and thick cold custard. What's not to like?

Cornflake tart - also already mentioned

Jam roly poly - still my favourite of the traditional British stodgy puddings

Syrup sponge - a good tactic was to turn on the charm with the dinner ladies so they'd scrape round the bottom and give you extra syrup gunk.

And the custard was great (never a fan of the pink stuff but that thankfully was limited to primary school - never saw it after the age of 11) - I was one of those oddities who actually wanted the skin.

We called that "Banana cream pie" I still make that but with a biscuit base (sometimes ginger biscuits) Mmm
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    School dineers and puddings in the fifties were revolting -

Rice pudding with a blob of jam
    Tapioca
    Prunes and custard
    plums and custard
    blancmange

The only decent thing was chocolate cispy with white sauce

I was always the one who was kept in crying because I wouldn't eat it.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caramel Tarts were lovely :D
    So was the chocolate cake and custard *drools*
    Chocolate custard never tastes as good as it did back then :(