My Mad, Fat Diary

Comments

• whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    That last episode was amazing to watch, although it made me very sad. Great story, actors etc and I will look forward to next series. I hope they don't make Kester Rae's dad, that would ruin it slightly for me. Great ending, Rae getting on with mums new hubby, Finn cliff-hanger, bitchy friend seems nicer than we thought. I am sad it has ended already
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a gem of a show. It really has shone for me. And i need its soundtrack asap please :D
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely, a gem. The only show I've watched religiously since...Torchwood's last series, and before that, Heroes.
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Very good stuff, don't know where they will go with another series though.
  • OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this series from beginning to end, and could relate to bits of it. Would love to know what Finn wrote on her back. Was fab seeing bits of Watford too :D
  • JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved every minute of this series. The finale was very moving. Especially the scenes with Rae and Kester. The bit where Rae told Kester that she liked him because he too had issues like her and Tix had me choaked up. For those who were saying they thought Kester was going to end up being Rae's father - I thought that too at one point, although I'm really glad it didn't happen. I think Kester has turned out to be the father figure Rae never had though. You could tell that when he took her to the wedding reception.
    Looking forward to the next series although it'd be interesting to see how the dynamics will change between the characters now Rae's illness is now in the open and she's trying to overcome it.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OcdGirl wrote: »
    I loved this series from beginning to end, and could relate to bits of it. Would love to know what Finn wrote on her back. Was fab seeing bits of Watford too :D

I think they were clearly implying he wrote "I love you" you saw him draw the I and then the U at the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Great final episode, though a little slow in places and not enough Archie.

Him not yet coming out gives an obvious story strand for the next series. Hopefully he'll feature more heavily.

Also, wasn't sure why Archie was't on her list of people she could talk to. Their friendship was the best part of the series, for me.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I read the book when it came out. I too wish it was set in the late 80s/early 90s but its well acted and the characters as I'd imagine them. Hope its shown on channel 4 as I've missed too many episodes.

Oh so the book is set a bit earlier?
    That makes sense for me, i kept thinking the show should have been set earlier, on the early 90s.

I lived abroad then, so the show actually does not resemble much of the 90s i knew, apart from the raves i guess, My So Called Life in superficial terms, looks, clothes, music is much more similar to what people were doing in continental Europe at the time. Maybe because it was actually filmed at the time...don't know. But the themes and the rawness of this one are quite realistic in my view, and although i started by dismissing it, i quite enjoyed this last episodes. I will track down the rest.
    I just wished Rae and Finn kissed.:o
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the slightly ambiguous ending, I think it leaves some good SLs open for the next series. I hope they don't make Kester Rae's dad either, I did think that was where they were going towards the end of the episode but perhaps (as another poster also said) it was guilt that he has his own abandoned child, or similar.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the actress who plays the main character 16?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the actress who plays the main character 16?

According to this article, Sharon Rooney is 24 - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/comedy-actress-sharon-rooney-says-1503092
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I don't think the adverts and trailers did this show any justce. I thought it was going to be the usual Channel 4 teen drama but i caught episode 3 and found it to be a brilliant show. Well written, funny, emotional and a great cast especially Kester, the troubled therapist could have been so cliched but not so.

I hope series 2 can live up to this one.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen the last episode yet but started reading the book last night, its brilliant :) - got through 1/4 of it already
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    This is a great series... But why did Rae have to be so apologetic in the last episode? Everyone around her was treating her like sh*t... Her mum was a total b*tch was forcing a new foreign stepfather on her who knew nothing about Britain and was obviously a complete dumbo, her 'best friend' was trying to steal her man and was reading her diary without permission, even Kester giving her advice seemed a bit rich as he was just as messed up as she was. The only thing she did wrong was forget to see Tix that evening, but even that was no excuse to feel guilty for Tix going to hospital... that could have happened at anytime. Certainly not worth killing yourself over... Though I had to stifle a laugh when she got mowed down in the middle of the street and barely got injured. Maybe that excess blubber isn't quite so bad after all ;)... But seriously, superb series, and I'm glad it's been recommissioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anxresi2 wrote: »
    Her mum was a total b*tch was forcing a new foreign stepfather on her who knew nothing about Britain and was obviously a complete dumbo, her 'best friend' was trying to steal her man and was reading her diary without permission...

I think that's quite interesting, as it shows how people can watch the same thing but take different things from it - I don't think Karim is a "complete dumbo", he's in a foreign country for (presumably) the first time and is struggling with the language, but he seems nice enough to me.

And I'm not sure if I understood it correctly now, but I thought Chloe hadn't actually read Rae's diary (or if she had, wasn't particularly offended by it) she was just upset about the torn-out page she found with a picture of Finn on it where Rae said Chloe didn't deserve him. As much as Chloe isn't a particular favourite of mine, she wasn't "trying to steal her man" as Finn didn't belong to Rae at that point (if he even does now?) and Chloe didn't know up until then that Rae liked him.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I think that's quite interesting, as it shows how people can watch the same thing but take different things from it - I don't think Karim is a "complete dumbo", he's in a foreign country for (presumably) the first time and is struggling with the language, but he seems nice enough to me.

And I'm not sure if I understood it correctly now, but I thought Chloe hadn't actually read Rae's diary (or if she had, wasn't particularly offended by it) she was just upset about the torn-out page she found with a picture of Finn on it where Rae said Chloe didn't deserve him. As much as Chloe isn't a particular favourite of mine, she wasn't "trying to steal her man" as Finn didn't belong to Rae at that point (if he even does now?) and Chloe didn't know up until then that Rae liked him.

agreed and was lovely to see them bonding eventually at the end. I got the impression Chloe didn't read the diary, which again was a nice surprise and showed she wasn't nasty. I am going to miss this show
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anxresi2 wrote: »
    Though I had to stifle a laugh when she got mowed down in the middle of the street and barely got injured. Maybe that excess blubber isn't quite so bad after all ;)... But seriously, superb series, and I'm glad it's been recommissioned.

I had a problem with the car accident scene as well, because if it had happened as was depicted then she would be lucky to be alive. But in the aftermath it was as if she had just tripped over a kerb stone or something!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out that Rae will be fully involved with the next series, but don't know if it will still be based on true events.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the book for £1.99 in The Works - recommend it. Look forward to a 2nd series. Hope they dont go unrealistic and make it too 'happy'. Plus want to know more about Tix and 2 hats.
  • Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really like the ending of the series, it seemed like it rounded everything off too well, which didn't really fit in with the rest of the series.
    I have had the book on my to-read list for years, but haven't got around to buying it yet. I am planning to buy the DVD soon though.
  • mercykatemercykate Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Purple. wrote: »
    I didn't really like the ending of the series, it seemed like it rounded everything off too well, which didn't really fit in with the rest of the series.
    I have had the book on my to-read list for years, but haven't got around to buying it yet. I am planning to buy the DVD soon though.

The show was filmed like months in advance, when they had no idea if the sow was going to be a hit or not so they kinda have to wrap everything up in case its the only series. Although i think theres still alot left to tell - tix's recovery, rae and finn, archie being gay etc..
    I started watching on episode 2/3 and fell in love! sharon rooney is seriously good as is the actor that plays kester. I hope we see her in more things!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still feel that what made it spaecial was that everything that happened in it (or at least in the book) was absolutely true. To invent a few story lines for a second series would go against the whole ethos in my opinion. I'm just hoping there was enough untold material to give the follow up at least a basis of truth.
  • MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mercykate wrote: »
    The show was filmed like months in advance, when they had no idea if the sow was going to be a hit or not so they kinda have to wrap everything up in case its the only series. Although i think theres still alot left to tell - tix's recovery, rae and finn, archie being gay etc..
    I started watching on episode 2/3 and fell in love! sharon rooney is seriously good as is the actor that plays kester. I hope we see her in more things!

Actually the show was recommissioned while they were still filming the first series months before it was transmitted. Highly unnusual, but by the time the final ep was written they already knew there'd be a second series.
  • mercykatemercykate Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Mercier wrote: »
    Actually the show was recommissioned while they were still filming the first series months before it was transmitted. Highly unnusual, but by the time the final ep was written they already knew there'd be a second series.

When was that said? i follow the actress on twitter and she said they found out that day! i.e when we did