Simple calibtration question

Had my Panasonic Plasma GT50 for about a month now. It has nearly 500 hours on the clock and I am very pleased with it. I am thinking of doing some DIYS calibrating, but before I do I want a simple question answered, if you will. Would tips as to how to calibrate a LCD (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/7725390/How-to-calibrate-your-HD-TV.html ) apply to a plasma. I have lots of other sites lined up, but I just need the answer to this as part of my learning. Thanks.

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, plasma and LCD/LED make their images in different ways. They need different approaches. For example, with LCD/LED TVs the contrast and brightness affect each other significantly. This is far less the case with plasma sets. Stick with sites talking about plasma rather than following methods that don't apply to this technology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Chris.,

What an excellent answer. Thanks a lot.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    There are dedicated disks out there that can do the basics in calibration, they have test cards and different sections explaining what each control does etc. You can even find them on certain DVD's.

If your TV allows it's a good idea to have different user settings, one for daytime the other for night time viewing.

If you want to try doing it by yourself, I find the best way is to get a good b&w picture first then add the colour.

Free setup features can be found on some THX DVD's.

If you want something a little more comprehensive have a look at DVD Essentials, they do one for SD and HD sources/displays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the THX one is good. Also, if you have an HD source, look out for this -see http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942385&page=4 - on the BBC HD channel.

Hopefully, the test will be included in the "This is BBC Two" preview loop from the launch of BBC Two HD.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    google avs hd 709