Emmerdale:Katie's Mineshaft Drama

pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do like the storyline but Sammy who plays Katie is annoying me im finding all her scenes in this cringeworthy and totally false,am i alone in this or do people think she is putting in great performances.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon does :D
  • SIOPHIE_FIERCESIOPHIE_FIERCE Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved how in at least 3 episodes she woke up, raised her head, did a little whimper, touched her a leg, cried and then the scene cut :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    As much as I love Katie, the scenes down the mine didn't actually make good TV. Just a few brief close ups of her contorted face, and after all that we never saw her being rescued . One minute she was in full wimpering mode, the next strapped to some stretcher. Couldn't we have actually seen her being dragged out the mineshaft .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    As much as I love Katie, the scenes down the mine didn't actually make good TV. Just a few brief close ups of her contorted face, and after all that we never saw her being rescued . One minute she was in full wimpering mode, the next strapped to some stretcher. Couldn't we have actually seen her being dragged out the mineshaft .

Yes that was a bit rubbish - one minute in full prostrate "what's that Skippy? She's fallen down a mineshaft?" whimper mode, next strapped to a gurney.

It was the most boring non-event ever and handy for me when we returned to the mine as I could look to see how I was doing on eBay.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emmerdales worst ever storyline... well worst executed storyline. bullshit from begining to end.
    Forum Member
    maisymoo wrote: »
    Yes that was a bit rubbish - one minute in full prostrate "what's that Skippy? She's fallen down a mineshaft?" whimper mode, next strapped to a gurney.

It was the most boring non-event ever and handy for me when we returned to the mine as I could look to see how I was doing on eBay.

In situations like that we normally get an heroic fireman lifting her out of the abyss with crowds of onlookers cheering. Well at least Declan and Moira could have cheered .

And full marks to the poster , I can't remember who or which thread , who predicted from the outset that Sam would find her . He will now get his pay rise .
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emmerdales worst ever storyline... well worst executed storyline. bullshit from begining to end.
    This is the problem I have with ED at the moment.

SB is not short of some decent storyline ideas - but he has no ability to bring them to the screen in a compelling or interesting way.

The narrative continuity doesn't flow, the dialogue flat & one dimensional. The plot dictates the pace and the characters just become puppets to the plot.
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Is she out then? Haven't seen it yet but omg how long was she supposed to be down there? A couple of days or the long miserable week we have been suffering it-
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

SB is not short of some decent storyline ideas - but he has no ability to bring them to the screen in a compelling or interesting way.

The narrative continuity doesn't flow, the dialogue flat & one dimensional. The plot dictates the pace and the characters just become puppets to the plot.

Exactly!!!

How this man became a series producer is beyond me and how he was offered Corrie. He must know where the bodies are buried!!.

I just wonder if Corrie fans will be vocal if he starts changing the character personalities too much. I mean will Emily suddenly become a drug addict and find herself out on the streets and looses everything to fund her habit. Will Norris suddenly come out as cross-dresser!!!

We will all wait with baited breath
  • CRP2012CRP2012 Posts: 2,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    Exactly!!!

How this man became a series producer is beyond me and how he was offered Corrie. He must know where the bodies are buried!!.

I just wonder if Corrie fans will be vocal if he starts changing the character personalities too much. I mean will Emily suddenly become a drug addict and find herself out on the streets and looses everything to fund her habit. Will Norris suddenly come out as cross-dresser!!!

dont forget rita will get pregnant 45 times & claim child support from 90 blokes,its realistic dont you know ;);)
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what makes this storyline fail for me, is that you know she's not going to die. They always have these big drama stories lines, same with Sophie falling off the church roof, and recently getting hit by a car in Corrie. Because if they we're leaving it would have been spoilt ages ago.

(that's not a spoiler. She may die, but my gut feeling is she won't).

So all this will she live/won't she live seems abit pointless to me, although having said that, it's made Emmerdale more interesting for a week
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you mrsmoose. Pretty obvious she wasn't/isn't going to die.
    No matter how long she was down there she would be found and will recover from her injuries, hence there was no real suspense.
    The whole storyline seemed pointless. Just a cynical attempt to make the viewer have some sympathy for Katie after her recent nastiness and stuck-up behaviour since becoming Mrs Macey.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong on this and I am quite happy for someone to correct me but, I always thought that if you phoned 999 from any phone, that phone number would register with the emergency service. I also think even though it cut off, he would still regisiter.
    If that is the case, the phone provider would know it was Katie's phone and they would pass that information on to the police/rescuers so they would at least know she was alive.
    I said earlier on another thread which I can't find, Sam would find her through his knowledge of the area and he would get his long awaited pay rise. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon she's been convincing.
    Forum Member
    In situations like that we normally get an heroic fireman lifting her out of the abyss with crowds of onlookers cheering. Well at least Declan and Moira could have cheered .

And full marks to the poster , I can't remember who or which thread , who predicted from the outset that Sam would find her . He will now get his pay rise .
    I could be wrong on this and I am quite happy for someone to correct me but, I always thought that if you phoned 999 from any phone, that phone number would register with the emergency service. I also think even though it cut off, he would still regisiter.
    If that is the case, the phone provider would know it was Katie's phone and they would pass that information on to the police/rescuers so they would at least know she was alive.
    I said earlier on another thread which I can't find, Sam would find her through his knowledge of the area and he would get his long awaited pay rise. :D

Well done Daisychain I didn't know who it was , but I remember someone saying that from the outset.

With so many spoilers about there was no real tension as we all knew Katie would survive. I don't blame any one on here for spoilers , but the producers would have made it clear that Katie would not have survived before the whole farce started .
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maisymoo wrote: »

Yeah right, like anybody would put in a bid for you. :rolleyes:

:D:D
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    I think what makes this storyline fail for me, is that you know she's not going to die. They always have these big drama stories lines, same with Sophie falling off the church roof, and recently getting hit by a car in Corrie. Because if they we're leaving it would have been spoilt ages ago.

(that's not a spoiler. She may die, but my gut feeling is she won't).

So all this will she live/won't she live seems abit pointless to me, although having said that, it's made Emmerdale more interesting for a week

LOL, that spoiled it for all of us. :D:D

But seriously, the problem is that we all only 'know' these outcomes (of all soap dramas), because they are always given away in spoilers from the previews of later eps. I personally have no will power, so I always read spoilers, but the fact is, if those spoilers were not available, none of us would know the outcome, (just like in the old days). I suspect we would enjoy the stories more if we didn't already know the outcome :)
  • matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale was great coming up to the live episode and the couple of weeks after but the past two weeks of episodes have been dire, The Katie storyline is totally un-realistic, For nearly a full week we've had about 2 minutes worth of her Mine drama per episode that feature her crawling along a small tunnel and ending with her lying unconcious at the end of nearly every episode, Like seriously?
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing that bugs me, is that when a character has been vile, the producers then come up with storylines to make us feel sorry for them.
    Like when Ashley beat his dad, then they made him homeless and a victim.

Now this mine drama with Katie.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Storyline idea is good but i agree the execution was terrible, and the whole not seeing her been rescued was a terrible idea. Sammys scenes weren't great either if anything i was like your annoying me so much i just want u to die, she was just cringe worthy in all of her underground scenes, anyhow it was used as a plot device to get Megan back on screen.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Daisychain I didn't know who it was , but I remember someone saying that from the outset.

With so many spoilers about there was no real tension as we all knew Katie would survive. I don't blame any one on here for spoilers , but the producers would have made it clear that Katie would not have survived before the whole farce started .

Thanks David, you are very kind. I was a good guesser as far as our house was concerned last night too getting the prediction correct. Well I say prediction, Sam hasn't had the pay rise yet has he?:D He will though.
    I honestly think with some of the scripts, us DS's could write a fair few ourselves couldn't we?
    I am liking Emmerdale most of the time but just can't get my head around the hate filled Charity and the vile way she is with Edna. She is horrid to her and how Enda keeps her cool is beyond me.

Now Katie has had a knock on the head from the mine shaft, she will return to her friendly, sweet nature she was before the fall;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the last couple of eps have been a big improvement over the ones from last week and Monday... I've enjoyed seeing Megan pull together with Declan, and the scene between Nikhil and Declan last night was brilliant. I guess there's only so much they do actually down the mineshaft.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    I reckon she's been convincing.

Me too!
    Whatever the faults in all this, she neither overacted or underacted, and when they gave the odd close up of her face i could see fear in her eyes and pain on her face, and that's what she had to show imo.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree with the above two posts.
    jude007 wrote: »
    Exactly!!!

I'm convinced he's going to want to 'make his mark' by killing off Ken Barlow or something :rolleyes:

Good point. But all the soaps have this in common nowadays, they never let reality get in the way of a storyline! The portrayal of the rescue workers was abysmal and I've said on another thread that if I was them I'd be fuming and perhaps putting in a complaint.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Another thing that bugs me, is that when a character has been vile, the producers then come up with storylines to make us feel sorry for them.
    Like when Ashley beat his dad, then they made him homeless and a victim.

Now this mine drama with Katie.

I don't think it's the reason in Katie's case.
    I think it's to make Katie have a look at how she, and her life, has changed since she hooked up with Declan.
    Losing her best mates and becoming increasingly isolated.
    Being told to her face that's she's changed for the worst.
    Bringing out the worst in her character with the Megan and Robbie stuff, and now this mine accident.
    I think It's the beggining of the end for Katie and Declan, which wouldn't be a bad thing imo.