EastEnders "is repeated on choice at 10PM"

James2001James2001 Posts: 73,421
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone see the point in the new message added to the end of the EastEnders credits? It imforms us it's repeated on choice at 10PM- but do we really need to know this? If you've watched it on BBC1, you won't need to watch it on choice, and if you're an analogue viewer, this information in useless. This mesage also appears on the Choice repeat, where it is not needed. Another thing is if it's repeated in the future, either on BBC1, UK Gold or abroad, with this mystical message which will have no point whatsoever, no-one will understand it. Anyone know why the BBC has even bothered with this?

Comments

• clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I assume it would be edited out in the future.
    It would be better to have the message just before the start, maybe when they say what is on BBC2 or BBC Choice at 7.30/8pm that way if people did want to watch the other side they'd know EE was repeated.
  • craigwcraigw Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many will be watching EE tonight on Choice, when Star Wars has finished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,270
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by James2001.
    Does anyone see the point in the new message added to the end of the EastEnders credits? It imforms us it's repeated on choice at 10PM- but do we really need to know this?
    Originally posted by clarribo.
    It would be better to have the message just before the start

The message makes perfect sense.

People just getting digital may be unsure what is on offer and could be confused to begin with about where they can find their favourite programmes.

It also serves as a usual piece of advertising to help promote one of the BBC's channels at a peak time of the day.

The message is more suitable at the end rather then the start as statistically a high number of people miss the first few minutes of programmes which would mean they wouldn't see the message if it was at the start of the programme.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but the mystical message telling us it's on choice will make no snese when the programme is aired in the future, UK Gold and abroad, so unless two versions have been made, it's either going to be extremly confusing, or there will be a big piece of fuzz or a block over where the text is meant to be to avoid confusion (which will look nasty).
  • dan2002UKdan2002UK Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    most play uk (RIP end of month :( ) comedies have the web address for the program removed or have a box over them and it looks fine. stop moaning!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But with EastEnders they would palce a big box voer it, and look at the background of the EastEnders map. Putting a big box over that would look stupid & nasty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by James2001
    But with EastEnders they would palce a big box voer it, and look at the background of the EastEnders map. Putting a big box over that would look stupid & nasty.

Does it really matter?? You seem to be getting yourself so worked up about something so trivial!!

IMO The people watching, either from abroad or a repeat episode, will obviously know that this is a repeat so wont really bother about any covered up message regarding the original viewing!! I know it wouldnt bother me!!

K
  • agentzagentz Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the message you are referring to but I agree that blocked or blurred out squares of text can be a real pain - you only have to look at most of the interior shows on UK Style to see big blocks of solid colour all over the screen when they've removed supplier details.

But it is possible that this message was just added live on-air over the broadcast tape of EE (mind you that wouldn't explain why it was on the Choice repeat) - BBC have had text at the end of their shows for ages saying things like 'coming up next' or a web address or some other info and I can't recall seeing any of this on Gold or whatever other channel happens to be repeating shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those coming up next things are usually added by BBC1 as it is broadcast, but this "BBC Choice" message and the URL are recorded onto the programme. Maybe they do have another version for exports/UK Gold, but if they don't it will be a right pain.
  • WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's that good (or so the BBC think) that we all want to watch it twice. Or maybe it's because we couldn't quite get our heads round it first time. :D
  • WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those coming up next things are usually added by BBC1 as it is broadcast, but this "BBC Choice" message and the URL are recorded onto the programme. Maybe they do have another version for exports/UK Gold, but if they don't it will be a right pain.
    They probably have a generic closing titles. If you watch the omnibus on Sunday, all the characters are listed in it - even ones who only appeared in one episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by The Woof Dog
    They probably have a generic closing titles. If you watch the omnibus on Sunday, all the characters are listed in it - even ones who only appeared in one episode.

That makes sense, it would only appear odd if they listed characters who didn't appear!

I'm in the minority here of course, but those captions can be slightly annoying for someone who doesn't have digital TV :)
    yet :)

Have to say tho, the habit of squashing titles to insert promos is *really* annoying. Its not quite so bad on BBC because they make decent credits, but all those generic ITV credit slides are soooo difficult to read!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Does anyone see the point in the new message added to the end of the EastEnders credits? It imforms us it's repeated on choice at 10PM- but do we really need to know this? If you've watched it on BBC1, you won't need to watch it on choice, and if you're an analogue viewer, this information in useless. This mesage also appears on the Choice repeat, where it is not needed. Another thing is if it's repeated in the future, either on BBC1, UK Gold or abroad, with this mystical message which will have no point whatsoever, no-one will understand it. Anyone know why the BBC has even bothered with this?
    Tell me James are you really that bothered about it? Should we all write a partition to the BBC and get it banned for you?
  • stephen2203stephen2203 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might not want to watch that particular episode again but the messages serves as a reminder for future editions. I'm sure that prior to the appearance of the messge, that a substantial number of people did not know that there was a repeat showing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am almost positive that RTÉ don't display this message after Eastenders. they show the same episode on the same nights, strangley enough they start it about 5 or 10 minutes before the BBC but i will have a look out on Monday and see if it's there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope, not a sign of any message and none of that coming next nonscence either but a dirty ad break half way through it so they finish at the same time