Could Paul McGann be the 12th Doctor??

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
I was thinking, it's not fair that PM didn't get a full series so I would love to have seen all his adventures, maybe he could somehow be the 12th Dr, or maybe a series of flashback specials with PM as the 8th Dr, giving matt some time off before the next full series, or would that be too confusing for the viewers??

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not aware of any rule that says, the Doctor cant have two very similar regenerations, or even a degeneration.

Personally I favour a mini series for the 8th Doctor, possibly framed by the 11th Doctor, but I dont think they should have another regeneration to bring back Paul McGann.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    Which he has said he would consider. Nice idea. The only thing which held him back last time was the US joint rights holder not wishing to commission a series.

Was he considered at the time by the BBC in 2005 when they started up the series again and chose Christopher Eccleston?
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best case scenario would be for the theatrical movie which they have been talking about to the The Time War starring Paul McGann as the Doctor (which would be perfect since he is older now as would be his incarnation of The Doctor if it were set properly in the Timeline). It would open up with an older eighth Doctor on an adventure. He is called back to Gallifrey. Then, after a long and complicated plot, The Time War breaks out between The Time Lords and The Daleks. Eventually, The Doctor destroys everything and everyone by detonating a special bomb which implodes the special space-timey-wimey-ness around Gallifrey. Being at the center of the implosion, the nucleus, The Doctor is able to squeeze The Tardis through a singularity allowing him to survive the implosion. However, the resulting radiation as he escapes kills him and his companion and he regenerates into the ninth Doctor.

It would be about two and a half hours and it could be so amazing. :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Paul McGann did continue his characterisation of the Doctor within a number of audio adventures, I am not sure whether it would be productive for McGann to be a successor to Smith.... unfortunately, the 1963-89 original series and 1996 movie have no bearing on the series which was commissioned after 2005.

Of course, if the new series, commissioned in 2005, ever reaches the 50th year of production, which will take place in 2055, then We should all celebrate the series 50th anniversary.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Although Paul McGann did continue his characterisation of the Doctor within a number of audio adventures, I am not sure whether it would be productive for McGann to be a successor to Smith.... unfortunately, the 1963-89 original series and 1996 movie have no bearing on the series which was commissioned after 2005.

Of course, if the new series, commissioned in 2005, ever reaches the 50th year of production, which will take place in 2055, then We should all celebrate the series 50th anniversary.

The initial run of the series, the 1996 revival and the current revival are all the same series. There are way too many references back to the original run for it to be otherwise: many episodes show all of the Doctors in succession, Sarah Jane Smith knowing The Doctor and being known by him, and way too many allusions backwards to count. It is the same show with a couple of long hiatuses. Futurama and a couple of other shows have also had long hiatuses before being revived and continuing. Do not allow the Seasons/Movie/Series denotations for each run fool you.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it'd be good for him to be the 12th Doctor, it'd be stupid and defy the whole idea of regeneration for the Doctor to turn into someone he used to be, but I'd like to see the 8th Doctor back for at least 1 episode, preferably more. More than any other past Doctor, he has unfinished business, and thats why, although I dont really want to see the time war or anything (though I'd like to see how it began so we have a bridge between the classic series and NuWho but can actually fill in the details ourselves), they HAVE to bring him back. Even if they dont bring all the Doctors still around back, even if they dont have a proper multi-Doctor anniversarry, they definately SHOULD, MUST bring 8 back for a bit
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    he should only be apart of the new doctor who movie, if (rather than when) it goes ahead.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

do you think the gay agenda would of finished by then.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an idea which I put on the Eleven Reasons thread. I thought it could be good if they did a series (or more depending) with the 8th Doctor. This would be set before, not flashbacks and the writers would return to Matt or whoever the current doctor is, whenever they decided.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have an episode where doctors 8,9,10 & 11 keep switching between each other..could be interesting..if CE would do it that is
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I don't think poor Paul will ever play the Doctor on TV again-since his one turn
    as the Doctor was a failure in the US, he's had no chance of reprising the role. This
    was probably why RTD & co. recast the role with the Ninth Doctor-having McGann reprise
    his role in a expensive, then-risky BBC production would have been vetoed by
    BBC high-ups.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Stop being a troll. You either have no idea what anniversary means - despite myself and others explaining to you on numerous occasions - or you are being wilfully ignorant. Unfortunately, I have to be polite on here, otherwise I might have to take a forum holiday, but you need to drop your repeated nonsense, as it has been explained to you time and time again. You don't know what you are talking about - that much is evident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's be nothing stopping Matt Smith talking about somehting he did in a past incarnation, then having a whole series about that event. Would be a good device for giving Matt a rest ( they all want a rest and to play different roles after a while), and then let us see some Paul McGann adventures ( or even other doctors) At the end of that run (call it a spin off or whatever you want) the story would continue where Matt let off and wherever he was when he started remembering.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love to see mcgann play the doctor agan but cannot see it apart from an appearance in the 50th special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what??

What???

WHAT???!!!

:D
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Stop being a troll. You either have no idea what anniversary means - despite myself and others explaining to you on numerous occasions - or you are being wilfully ignorant. Unfortunately, I have to be polite on here, otherwise I might have to take a forum holiday, but you need to drop your repeated nonsense, as it has been explained to you time and time again. You don't know what you are talking about - that much is evident.

Doctor Who fans. Why do we have to be so mean to each other on internet forums? As far as franchises go, we are one of the very worst for elitist bullying. :(
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I am not aware of any rule that says, the Doctor cant have two very similar regenerations, or even a degeneration.
    That would be a regression, not a degeneration.

Degeneration is what happened to The Master when he ran out of regenerations, and became a cloaked zombie.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Doctor Who fans. Why do we have to be so mean to each other on internet forums? As far as franchises go, we are one of the very worst for elitist bullying. :(

its nothing to do with elitism or bullying. As a certain other thread proves there are wilfully moronic people on this forum who deserve challenging and to have their stupidity pointed out to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back on topic I loved Mcgann and it was a shame he never got more than one episode on screen but I think anyone who seriously thinks that its a good idea to have a degeneration or that a multi million pound movie is going to delve back into a now distant part of the shows continuity is setting themselves up for serious disappointment.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member

Sorry, Delboy, but DariaM has history here. S/he regularly drops in to post almost identical remarks making the same point each time.
    Forum Member

I don't bully - and you are probably unaware that DariaM does this all the time. I know I should just ignore it, but I'm feeling under the weather, and it really got to me. I ignored it the last few times, but I just couldn't today.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. Sorry sebbie. :)
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. Sorry sebbie. :)

You're right, though. I shouldn't have said anything! Sorry for seeming awful. I'd hate that people might think that of me. I can be argumentative - in the truest sense of the word - but I don't want to come across as a bully.
    Forum Member
    Anyway, as for my opinion of McGann being 12 - I just don't see it being accepted. Not when they give nods to the past and have McGann as Doc 8. It just wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, I think we will just have to make do with the audios (which are pretty fantastic, IMHO).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    You're right, though. I shouldn't have said anything! Sorry for seeming awful. I'd hate that people might think that of me. I can be argumentative - in the truest sense of the word - but I don't want to come across as a bully.

I don't think you should apologize. There are a very small minority of wind up merchants on here that are pretty disruptive and it gets frustrating.