Best browser

gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Youngest just had a new lap top so looking to find a decent browser for it which is best at the minute please.:)

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anything other than IE would be fine pretty much
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FireFox or Chrome are my recommendations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think chrome is pretty good at the minute
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Chrome, but you could always try a few different ones, and see which one you feel more comfortable with.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this may help http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/ but, as already suggested,try them and see which you prefer.
    My personal choices are Chrome and Opera as one can offer features (that I like) that the other doesn't
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no best browser .... I've got multiple browsers installed here .. mostly use firefox, then comodo dragon (a version of chromium with some google bits missing/disabled) & up until recently often used opera too but as it's become just another version of chromium/chrome I'll probably bin it
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Chrome or Firefox would suit IMO. You didn't say what OS was on the laptop.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    anything other than IE would be fine pretty much

Even IE isn't a bad browser nowadays. Its not like the IE6 vs. Firefox years anymore!

Personally, I use IE, Firefox and Chrome. I use all three as I find some web pages render better in certain browsers. Plus, its not like they conflict with each other or take up tons of space, so there's no real problem with having all three installed.
  • gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a windows 7.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ^ How did you manage to get a Windows 7 machine? :cool:

Anyway I think Firefox or Chrome would be the best browsers. They're both better than IE.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to use Firefox all the time until about a year ago when I switched primarily to Chrome. However I stick to Safari on my iPad and iPhone as I prefer it to the Chrome for iOS.

Not used IE at home in years, still have to use it for intranet services at work though and we are still on IE6 there!! No idea why the IT department don't upgrade it, they have however installed Firefox on the PCs although they don't update that very often either.
    Forum Member
    ^ How did you manage to get a Windows 7 machine? :cool:

Anyway I think Firefox or Chrome would be the best browsers. They're both better than IE.

There are plenty out there.....It's a myth that they are rare..
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to find moral objections to using Chrome, but in practise I don't use anything else. Firefox is pants as far as I'm concerned.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are free. Why not just try some out and decide?

Personally I use Chrome
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use IE, Firefox and Chrome. All the websites I use tend to perform best in one of those three but never the same one.

I generally prefer Firefox as my main browser, principally for the UI. I generally use Chrome when I want to use the tab sync feature to carry on a browsing session on another device.

So OP, give them a choice, there's no need to force them to use just a single browser.
  • gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've put her chrome on she how she goes with it.
  • PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrome is great if you like the worlds biggest spying entity recording your every online movement.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrome is great if you like the worlds biggest spying entity recording your every online movement.

Is Google a bigger spying entity than the US or Chinese governments? It's hard to say.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    There are plenty out there.....It's a myth that they are rare..

Well you can't really buy Windows 7 machines in shops any more (they want to sell you W8) but I've seen them online and advertised in the likes of PC Pro magazine. Companies who sell business computers also have W7 machines.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people like Chrome?

I think its pretty crude and the fact it just randomly installs itself onto my computer without been asked is enough reason to think that its no better than spyware.
    Forum Member
    Well you can't really buy Windows 7 machines in shops any more (they want to sell you W8) but I've seen them online and advertised in the likes of PC Pro magazine. Companies who sell business computers also have W7 machines.

Shops? You mean PCworld? Try Argos and Tesco, probably ASDA You can buy windows 7 laptops and desktops from plenty of online shops. Even PCworld will sell you a refurbished W7 laptop online.
    So not so rare really....;)
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think its pretty crude and the fact it just randomly installs itself onto my computer without been asked is enough reason to think that its no better than spyware.
    It doesn't just install itself, if its been installed without you downloading it and installing it manually, chances are you've installed something like Flash, Java, etc and left the check box ticked to install Chrome too.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you mean by crude? It does what it is suppose to do and does it well.

Not that I use chrome as such but a chrome clone.

As for installing itself, nope, it don't do that, it is software you have downloaded and installed that gives you the option of chrome that have done it. Look when you install stuff.

As for the best browser, which ever one works for you, ok not for you as such, but for who ever is asking.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more a matter of personal preference when it comes to browsers. Personally I mainly use Chrome these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firefox for me.