Nuisance PPI calls every day!

technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the last 6 months or so I've been getting nuisance Payment Protection Insurance calls from a different company each day on my work phone. The front end message often changes but its always the same thing.

So I started pressing 5 to speak to someone who would just say, sorry, we'll take your number off our books. The next day someone else calls. Happens at least twice a day.

I registered with TPS but that hasn't helped.

After giving up on being able to do anything else about I resorted to animal noises and random discussions such as DIY enema kits (they cut me off quick).

Yesterday I told a caller I'd taken a loan out three years ago to have a disc in my back removed so I could perform felatio on myself but that they had cocked up the op and I needed a second disc removed to actually get my head down there and was I entitled to get my PPI back?

Now I'm bored of silly conversations but the calls keep coming.

Does anyone else get this everyday and what can I do about it?

Comments

• technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just me then? :(

Oh the pain......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to get at least 1 a day at work - I just put the phone down and get on with my day. Life's too short to worry about it too much.
  • hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh the pain......

Cant say I've ever had one at work or home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanndav wrote: »
    Cant say I've ever had one at work or home.

Lucky you (seriously). They are a right pain.
    Im busy thinking of what I should talk to them about next (although I do a mean Gorilla screech impersonation)
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I get them all the time on my home phone, it's bloody annoying!!!

Is there any way to make them stop?
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look OP time to get harsh with them. The next time they call tell them to "**** off and die or you'll sue for harrassment".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I get them all the time on my home phone, it's bloody annoying!!!

Is there any way to make them stop?

In a word, no.

At least thats what it seems. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »
    Look OP time to get harsh with them. The next time they call tell them to "**** off and die or you'll sue for harrassment".

I tried that route - "sorry sir, we'll take you off our books and our company wont call again"

New company rings next day........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting these for a while. I would wait for the message to finish, press 5, and then either hang up or leave it while the operator was on the other end (they tend to hang up fairly quickly).

My reasoning was that if each call costs them money and they're getting messed around that they'll eventually remove my number from their list.

The calls did stop after a few weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting these for a while. I would wait for the message to finish, press 5, and then either hang up or leave it while the operator was on the other end (they tend to hang up fairly quickly).

My reasoning was that if each call costs them money and they're getting messed around that they'll eventually remove my number from their list.

The calls did stop after a few weeks.
    AH lucky you.

They keep calling me :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I have just been lucky!

I think they key may have been the fact that I actually answered the calls rather than cutting them off - that's what might have worked.

I never spoke - just went through the process till I pressed 5 and then did nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I have just been lucky!

I think they key may have been the fact that I actually answered the calls rather than cutting them off - that's what might have worked.

I never spoke - just went through the process till I pressed 5 and then did nothing

Ok. When they call later I'll do that instead discussing the irritation of piles.
  • chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    I have a sure of a police whistle near the phone. I wait until they start talking and then let 'em have it.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot get away from these people both on the phone TV and Radio :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot get away from these people both on the phone TV and Radio :(

Yup. I hear the adverts on the radio too and get the calls at least twice a day. I don't even qualify but what if I did? Go through the process with a caller and then get called over and over from others? Gah!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a cheap solution but if these calls really are driving you round the proverbial....

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

You can program it with a list of allowed numbers that get through uninterrupted. Or a set of numbers you never want to answer which just get dumped without you having to do anything.

Everything in between and it intercepts the call and asks the caller to identify themselves. It then rings the phone tells you who is calling and lets you decide if you want to talk to them or not. Anyone who doesn't identify themselves just gets dropped.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh the pain......

You need to give people longer than 20 minutes to reply you know...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chebby wrote: »
    I have a sure of a police whistle near the phone. I wait until they start talking and then let 'em have it.

Fortunately, phones have limiters, so its not actually that loud at the other end!
    All that'll happen is a note will be put on your number, so that the next person to get your call knows that it might happen. They might even schedule a call back for the next day, or add you to a list to be sold on just to spite you.

Don't forget that your data may well have been acquired legitimately, if so, then they're well within their rights to call you! It's also not the call center employee's fault that they've rung you, they'll have just had a beep in their ear and are made aware of who they're speaking to.

Your best bet is to just ignore the phone, if you do it for long enough then the number will be marked as dead. Make sure that you always check/uncheck (where relevant) any box that states that your information may be shared/used for marketing,and register with the TPS.

In short, be nice, respectful, and ask politely to be removed from any marketing lists/added to Do Not Call, also enquire as to where they've got your data from, so that you can pursue it with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had calls asking me to do a survey, four times a day for the past week. It is always the same woman, asking for someone who does not live hear!!!!!!!
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Tell them you are signed up for TPS and that it's illegal for them to be phoning you bit they don't hang up ask to speak to their supervisor and ask why their company is breaking the law.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I say "Just hang while I get a pen"
    Then put the phone on the table and go back to whatever I was doing.
    I started doing this after I got one call one day from a young woman selling something or other. She was in full flow when I politely as I could cut across her and said "I'm sorry but no thanks love, I'm not interested " and hung up.
    Ten seconds later she called back and said " I just want you to know, I know where you live!" and slammed the phone down.
    Unfortunately it didn't sound as threatening as she was obviously hoping for due to the thick Brummy accent. :¬)
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I receive endless text messages re PPI, injury claims etc. I block the number but then they start using a new one. I also have someone who calls 'Out of area' on my landline but I leave those unanswered.It's a nusiance but you just have to let it go and hope they'll eventually get fed up
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just say "I am registered with TPS and what you are doing is illegal and Ill be getting my solicitor. Now what was the name of your company again?"

*Click*

Normally does the trick.

Also when did you register? It can take months to have an effect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I just say Enfield police station how can I help you Today!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    sometimes I say pizza hut, can I take your order