Ringo Salt & Vinegar flavour crisps

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bloody hell, what do they make these of ? Just had a pack and the roof of my mouth and nose almost melted. I couldn't get through a whole pack. What is in them that make them strong ? The salt content listed on the front doesn't look that high.

Anyone tried them ? I notice in Tesco they have the brand new design and also the older (but still new) ones both in stock side by side, no big shock that the ones before the recent design change were 2g more per pack but still at same price.

Comments

• hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Bloody hell, what do they make these of ? Just had a pack and the roof of my mouth and nose almost melted. I couldn't get through a whole pack. What is in them that make them strong ? The salt content listed on the front doesn't look that high.

Anyone tried them ? I notice in Tesco they have the brand new design and also the older (but still new) ones both in stock side by side, no big shock that the ones before the recent design change were 2g more per pack but still at same price.

No idea what they put in em, but think the salt and vinegar crisp are rather an acquired taste....some are waaaaaaaay to strong a flavour:eek:
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the cheese and onion ones better, probably because I remember one playtime at primary school, I found a huge lump of flavouring in a bag! It was amazingly good.:o
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Ringos?

I haven't seen a packet of those since about 1983!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Never heard of them.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese and onion are so morish, the only problem is, after you've eaten 3-6 packets, they make your breath both feel and taste rank.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of them.

They were around a lot in the 80s. They slowly disappeared but came back recently, not as good as they were:(
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that with salt & vinegar Discos. They are ridiculously flavoursome.

And something about this being in the Food & Drink forum blah blah.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Never heard of them.

They ring a bell but I don't think I've ever tasted or even seen them being sold anywhere.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I find that with salt & vinegar Discos. They are ridiculously flavoursome.

And something about this being in the Food & Drink forum blah blah.

I used to love Discos for that very reason. Come to think of it I haven't seen them anywhere for a while either.
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't touch the salt and vinegar flavour but the cheese and onion ones are tasty. My son often has them after school and I nick his:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Ooh, have they changed the recipe?.

I love salt and vinegar crisps, but find nearly all of them these days are nowhere near as strong as they used to be, and I like them strong.

I'll have to buy some S&V Ringos. :)
  • mcghee76mcghee76 Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Mild curry flavoured Ringos used to be the best back in the day.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    mcghee76 wrote: »
    Mild curry flavoured Ringos used to be the best back in the day.

Mild Curry you say, I never saw those back in the day and I bet I'd of liked them:(

I used to love Ringos, have still not found them in Tesco's yet, need to go to the really big one
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    They were around a lot in the 80s. They slowly disappeared but came back recently, not as good as they were:(

Ahh I'm probably a little bit young to remember them then. Nothings ever as good as it used to be, is it!
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh I'm probably a little bit young to remember them then. Nothings ever as good as it used to be, is it!

The rose tinted glasses I have now are nowhere near as good as my old pair.
    Forum Member
    macsmurray wrote: »
    The rose tinted glasses I have now are nowhere near as good as my old pair.

I like that :D
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Mild Curry you say, I never saw those back in the day and I bet I'd of liked them:(

I used to love Ringos, have still not found them in Tesco's yet, need to go to the really big one

They sell them in iceland and 99p stores for a quid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salt & Vinegar crisps like paper cuts to the lips.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happened to Hedgehog crisps.?
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must try these Ringo as I love S&V and the stronger the flavour the better.

Never buy S&V Pringles any more as they've hardly any vinegar flavour.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting that weird feeling in my throat just reading the OP, the one that vinegar sets off. What the hell is that anyway!? Is it one of life's mysteries?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    They sell them in iceland and 99p stores for a quid.

I'd get Trading Standards onto them! :mead:
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried a packet of Ringos a few weeks back, thought they were a little less crunchy than they used to be. I agree they do have a stong vinegar taste, always have. I aint seen Discos for a while either, these were my fave crisps of all time years ago and then i went and bought a box of 48 packs and went off them for a while.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried some Squares crisps recently, the salt & vinegar was way too strong, Pringles and other posher type crisps are more to my taste.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay seen these in Tesco. £1.48 for 6 bags but they only have 14g each!!! I thought I was reading wrong but no, 14g eac bag. How many Ringos in there then? I'm not paying that for 14g bags. The 28g multi[pack bags are bad enough.