Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    That was indeed the late and appallingly underrated Mick Tucker on drums.

I'll second that!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HughJasss wrote: »
    If you want Love Games by Belle & The Devotions but cannot get it anywhere,

Get this

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter.htm

Paste the Youtube URL of that song in there -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIkZX7viv_4

there you go.

Sorry if that comes across as a spambot, but it really is easy to use.

Thanks for the links. I will give it a checkout. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Towards the end of his life Brian was a gibbering wreck, he had several heart attacks and could barely speak with severe shakes. I felt so sorry for him, he used to be a tremendous looking guy with a great rock voice.

I'd heard that he infact had a series of about 14 heart attacks way back in 1981. He didn't pass away until this week ahead back in 1997 quite some time later, just a young 51. The saddest thing I ever saw regards him was a documentary some point in the mid 90's I think where he was mocked by some young twerps who likely had no idea who the hell he actually had been in the 1970's. The whole scene, and his shuddering old man body stays in my mind. Sorry I cannot recall the programme it was.

On the last big Sweet hit, Love Is Like Oxygen, there seemed to me to be a kind of resigned sadness about him, and even in the vocal in some way. Maybe it was a hit they didn't expect by as late as 1978, and knew it was the final hurrah?
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    This would be the one Rich. It's a difficult watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YnQSS6uQus
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised when I first heard that Brian Connolly was born and raised north of the border as I could detect no trace of a Scottish accent whenever I heard him interviewed.

I first saw Mark McManus in 1973 playing the role of Sam in the eponymous TV drama serial set in a Yorkshire coal mining town. When he began playing the TV detective Taggart 10 years later I assumed his thick Glaswegian accent was testament to his acting skills.

It would seem the two are not blood-related and any facial resemblance is purely coincidental.

Whilst there is no blood connection, I did notice a remarkable facial resemblance between Connolly and McManus. They could have easily passed as full brothers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i couldnt belive that anthea & donna(i think)garbage got to no.1. truly abysmal reggae song.(as they all are)
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    If god forbid DLT gets charged next month, could BBC Four yet review the repeats' future? I don't think there would be any point continuing if we had to miss around 15 episodes or so each year.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    'Eagle' should definitely have been released as a single here. It's one of their best recordings and still sounds great now. As for 'Summer Night City,' it should have been another #1 for them here! Darn that other 'Summer Nights' song for selling so many copies! :D

Agreed!! - And I cannot believe Summer Night City only made No5 in the UK -It should have been higher!!! :eek: - Especially after all the No1's they'd been having! ;)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    i couldnt belive that anthea & donna(i think)garbage got to no.1. truly abysmal reggae song.(as they all are)

Two pretty dumb comments there:rolleyes:
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Two pretty dumb comments there:rolleyes:

.... says someone who hates most of the music on TOTP, so what's wrong with someone else hating this song? :rolleyes:
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'd heard that he infact had a series of about 14 heart attacks way back in 1981. He didn't pass away until this week ahead back in 1997 quite some time later, just a young 51. The saddest thing I ever saw regards him was a documentary some point in the mid 90's I think where he was mocked by some young twerps who likely had no idea who the hell he actually had been in the 1970's. The whole scene, and his shuddering old man body stays in my mind. Sorry I cannot recall the programme it was.

On the last big Sweet hit, Love Is Like Oxygen, there seemed to me to be a kind of resigned sadness about him, and even in the vocal in some way. Maybe it was a hit they didn't expect by as late as 1978, and knew it was the final hurrah?

I recall this as well Rich Tea. I think the programme was something like the top 10 Glam Rock acts. Channel 4 ran a wonderful series of top 10 specials in the late 90s and I remember seeing Brian on this as well as an ageing Les Gray of Mud fame. Similarly on the top 10 New Romantics I recall seeing a worse for wear Steve Strange. Incredible what happens to these dudes we used to idolise when we were bairns ...
    Forum Member
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    Incredible what happens to these dudes we used to idolise when we were bairns ...

That's their Rock n Roll lifestyle for you! :rolleyes: - Infact I'm surprised most of The Rolling Stones are still standing after all these years!! :o
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bands like Sweet, Slade, Glitter and Mud were older than you remember, and had been around since the mid to late 1960s, so they had had a hard life, slogging themselves around the circuit looking for that break, the hit single.

It's no wonder they looked a bit knackered in the 1990s.
    Forum Member
    Bands like Sweet, Slade, Glitter and Mud were older than you remember, and had been around since the mid to late 1960s, so they had had a hard life, slogging themselves around the circuit looking for that break, the hit single.

It's no wonder they looked a bit knackered in the 1990s.

Very true! - they didn't get it handed to them on a plate - like all these XFactor wannabies!! :rolleyes:
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    I recall this as well Rich Tea. I think the programme was something like the top 10 Glam Rock acts. Channel 4 ran a wonderful series of top 10 specials in the late 90s and I remember seeing Brian on this as well as an ageing Les Gray of Mud fame. Similarly on the top 10 New Romantics I recall seeing a worse for wear Steve Strange. Incredible what happens to these dudes we used to idolise when we were bairns ...

I saw that programme too, and I'm sure it was the one presented by Tony Blackburn and Fluff Freeman: The Glam Top 10. I've found the footage of it on YT, though it's been edited together with clips from the Beeb's 'I Love 1973' too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDzfsu_eChY

The channel 4 'top 10...songs' from the late 90s were excellent. I taped so many of those but I bet I can't find any of them now. My favourite of those was one called 'Top 10 X-rated.' It had links from John Lydon and amongst the top 10 included The Sex Pistols and Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Looking forward to seeing 'What a Waste' again in a few months. I so hope we get to see the May 11th episode.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this is the interview you mean, circa 1987 and in his mid 40's, less than a decade on from 'Oxygen' although shaky he didn't look as shockingly ill as he did in the link posted up thread. It is uncomfortable to watch purely because of Brian's graciousness even though the 'twerps' are trying to take the rise and showing no respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg5-air_xzg
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bands like Sweet, Slade, Glitter and Mud were older than you remember, and had been around since the mid to late 1960s

BIB - before he started working with the Beatles in 1962 George Martin produced two singles on Parlophone for 17 year old Paul Gadd a.k.a. Gary Glitter in 1961 under his stage name of Paul Raven; both records flopped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... says someone who hates most of the music on TOTP, so what's wrong with someone else hating this song? :rolleyes:

.....says someone who himself took me to task for liking what he described as an inferior version of a particular track! Such beautiful hypocrisy. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erithian wrote: »
    This would be the one Rich. It's a difficult watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YnQSS6uQus

Yes Erithian this was indeed the piece I saw, presumably from the summer in 1996 before he passed away from the look of it. It would also suggest that he must have frittered away most of his earnings from his heyday period?

I also saw the associated clip next to this on You Tube of his funeral from the local news at the time, and despite what was said in the clip you helped me with, that Andy Scott and Brian Connelly couldn't stand each other and barely spoke, it was heartwarming to actually see in the associated news clip at the funeral that Andy Scott was clearly devastated and said he would miss him terribly when he spoke to camera before choking up and moving away. Love and hate can sometimes be the same side of the coin it appears in this case.

Alcoholics Anonymous should show Brian as a wake up call to the ravages of the substance in excess. I don't touch the stuff, but I actually had a lovely former classmate who passed away before making 30 through drinking, and only a few months ago I found out that an ex neighbour who was a similar age to me had also passed away at a young late 30's purely through drinking a couple of years back. Quite shocking.

Thanks for your clip Keicar, but have never seen that one. He looked positively well in your clip from about 1987 compared to the later one from 1996 I recalled. ;)

Les Gray of Mud's name has been mentioned. I was gobsmacked when I saw late pictures of what he looked like in the 90's, virtually un-recognisable as this thin and gaunt featured old man, yet just in his 50's too.

Fate seems to have dealt so many of these 70's major pop stars an appalling later journey post adulation. :(
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....says someone who himself took me to task for liking what he described as an inferior version of a particular track! Such beautiful hypocrisy. :yawn:

... says someone who didn't even think Yugoslavia was a proper country! Give it a rest Richard and stop picking on me, you're becoming an embarrassment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Eagle' should definitely have been released as a single here. It's one of their best recordings and still sounds great now. The gym I go to went through a phase of playing background music in the changing rooms at a pleasant level a few years ago, and one of the tunes on the CD they had made up was 'Eagle.' I had a hard time convincing one of the guys that it was an ABBA song for some reason. I think it's pretty obvious that it's them. As for 'Summer Night City,' it should have been another #1 for them here! Darn that other 'Summer Nights' song for selling so many copies! :D

I like ABBA a lot, and Eagle is a great song but I've never been keen on Summer Night City. I actually think it's the least good of the singles that ABBA released here. Not to say that it's a bad song, but they recorded so many good ones that this one just doesn't compare and I find it rather bland.

Anyway, back to TOTP. Recognised quite a few of the songs this week. God help me, but Figaro is starting to grow on me. Take A Chance on Me over the end credits with ABBA showing their emulators how it's done. I might have asked this before, but did ABBA not perform on TOTP again after Fernando in the second 1976 episode that BBC4 showed? Is it all videos and the end credits from here on in? What did they actually perform on TOTP over the years?
    Uptown Top Wanking definitely sounds better when not done in the TOTP studio. Favourite was Love Is Like Oxygen. I think it's one of Sweet's better songs (by the way, are they Sweet or THE Sweet?? I never can tell.), though my absolute favourite of theirs is their first hit, the exceptionally catchy Funny Funny.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like ABBA a lot, and Eagle is a great song but I've never been keen on Summer Night City. I actually think it's the least good of the singles that ABBA released here. Not to say that it's a bad song, but they recorded so many good ones that this one just doesn't compare and I find it rather bland.

Anyway, back to TOTP. Recognised quite a few of the songs this week. God help me, but Figaro is starting to grow on me. Take A Chance on Me over the end credits with ABBA showing their emulators how it's done. I might have asked this before, but did ABBA not perform on TOTP again after Fernando in the second 1976 episode that BBC4 showed? Is it all videos and the end credits from here on in? What did they actually perform on TOTP over the years?
    Uptown Top Wanking definitely sounds better when not done in the TOTP studio. Favourite was Love Is Like Oxygen. I think it's one of Sweet's better songs (by the way, are they Sweet or THE Sweet?? I never can tell.), though my absolute favourite of theirs is their first hit, the exceptionally catchy Funny Funny.

I was never that sold on 'Summer Night City' when it was first released, but rediscovered it when I heard the version with the orchestral intro - which (I dunno why!) made it sound so much better.

I don't recall Abba making any TOTP appearances after 'Fernando'. Prior to that, I recall 'Waterloo' (obv), 'Mamma Mia' and 'So Long' in the studio - and I'd guess 'SOS' merited an appearance in the flesh? I'm sure that featured on Seaside Special (:eek:) ... But beyond that - I only recall promo videos ...

And I think 'The' got dropped by the group after Sweet split with Chinnichap ...
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member

My taste in ABBA songs is a bit quirky mind you because I can't stand a lot of their other popular singles. 'The Winner Takes it All,' 'Chiquitita' and 'I Have A Dream' are ones I particularly think are worthy of being erased from history! :D

...God help me, but Figaro is starting to grow on me....Favourite was Love Is Like Oxygen. I think it's one of Sweet's better songs (by the way, are they Sweet or THE Sweet?? I never can tell.), though my absolute favourite of theirs is their first hit, the exceptionally catchy Funny Funny.

Lord help you indeed! You should go and see a Doctor about developing a liking for 'Figaro.' :p

'Funny Funny' by Sweet is a great song, as is 'Co-Co.' They may be examples of early 70s bubblegum pop but they are infectious and deserving of more attention. I heard 'Funny Funny' on Radio 2 last year though, and it wasn't on Pick of the Pops either!

As for your ABBA question, I think it's correct to say they didn't actually appear in the studio again after the 'Fernando' performance you mentioned. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were put off by the whole having to re-record the track and mime or sing live to the backing track, which was why they didn't perform that often.

As far as I'm aware, Servalan's provided all of the appearances they made. There were 3 performances for 'Waterloo' as far as I've seen on Youtube (one was April 10th 1974 - this is the clip that's been on TOTP 2 a few times, then again on April 30th 1974, and a performance for the Christmas Day 1974 edition); a performance for 'So Long,' which I believe wasn't actually broadcast because of a strike*; a performance for 'SOS'; one for 'Mamma Mia' and the final one for 'Fernando.'

*EDIT - Conflicting accounts exist for this particular episode. Some say it was broadcast but only in England, others just say it was filmed but not broadcast because of a strike.
    Forum Member
    My taste in ABBA songs is a bit quirky mind you because I can't stand a lot of their other popular singles. 'The Winner Takes it All,' 'Chiquitita' and 'I Have A Dream' are ones I particularly think are worthy of being erased from history! :D

!

As for your ABBA question, I think it's correct to say they didn't actually appear in the studio again after the 'Fernando' performance you mentioned. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were put off by the whole having to re-record the track and mime or sing live to the backing track, which was why they didn't perform that often.

As far as I'm aware, Servalan's provided all of the appearances they made. There were 3 performances for 'Waterloo' as far as I've seen on Youtube (one was April 10th 1974 - this is the clip that's been on TOTP 2 a few times, then again on April 30th 1974, and a performance for the Christmas Day 1974 edition); a performance for 'So Long,' which I believe wasn't actually broadcast because of a strike*; a performance for 'SOS'; one for 'Mamma Mia' and the final one for 'Fernando.'

Didn't Abba's So Long flop? - Hence why it was never shown on TOTP.
    Also by the middle of 1976 I think Abba had become so big that they wouldn't have had time to do many music shows - hence why they made the videos - so they could circulate them round the world! ;)
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Didn't Abba's So Long flop? - Hence why it was never shown on TOTP.
    Also by the middle of 1976 I think Abba had become so big that they wouldn't have had time to do many music shows - hence why they made the videos - so they could circulate them round the world! ;)

'So Long' did indeed not make the Top 50 - but it definitely featured on TOTP as a new release. There are clips on Youtube - it really did happen, Tortfeasor, I remember it! ;)
This discussion has been closed.