Slingbox

davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys. I'm thinking about buying a slingbox for my Sky HD so I can watch it on my Galaxy Tab 2 as Sky Go isn't supported. I can't get fibre broadband yet so the max upload I have is about 650kbps (80KB/sec). Would this be enough? Has anyone any experience of a slingbox that could advise me?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Uploads not the important one - what's your download rate?
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

would have wanted to use it out and about over 3G so upload was definitely important lol. As it happens, it's the 10" tablets that dont support Sky Go so I'm happy enough as I can use it :)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Uploads not the important one
    Do you know what a Slingbox is?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I have used a slingbox for many years and use it now on my iPhone, iPad and home W8 desktop.
    I have the legacy Slingbox pro, but it is still providing me with great remote TV.
    It works very well with the sky boxes.

From what you have said, you will be able to use a slingbox with no trouble at all.

An article to read;
    http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000040.html
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member

Upload is the important one. I've had a Slingbox for 3 years and when I had a 448kbps upload speed it didn't work all that well - fast moving stuff like football was unwatcheable although films and the like were OK, I now have fibre and it now works brilliantly and I've used it on 4 continents.

The only downside I've found that occasionally my Sky box refuses to come out of standby and I have to get someone to go to the house and reset it. I keep meaning to switch off Auto Standby on the box before I go away but always forget.
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been mostly for the football but as Sky Go works I now don't need to worry about it :D
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    davybhoy wrote: »
    It would have been mostly for the football but as Sky Go works I now don't need to worry about it :D

You won't be able to use Sky Go abroad though (without a workaround)