BT TV and YouView for those without Infinity

Comments

• VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    This does sort of confuse things a little bit.

Since it is a BT Branded YouView box, as you would get from BT, it might get the update required.

I have taken what BT have said to mean that non BT branded YouView boxes will not receive the update and so will not be able to get the channels.

Yes thats true. And fair too. Will this situation change in the future? Who knows? As both BTV and YV are platforms in flux at the moment.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I've missed something in this thread that answers my question already, but I'm really tired after skim-reading the big one in the Broadcasting forum.

I have asked the following question directly to BT but not yet had a reply.

If I understand it correctly, if you don't have Infinity, then you can't get the BT Sport channels through your YouView box.

Luckily I am an ex-Sky customer so I have a Sky receiver to watch it on for free, but I'd rather watch it through my YouView box.

My question is why is it not possible for it to be streamed to the YouView unless you have Infinity? It can't be a speed issue as I can concurrently stream HD iPlayer on my YouView CatchUp and HD on my laptop - my 6.5Mbps download speed can cope with both at the same time, with no bufferring.

Even if HD was the problem, I don't care about HD! BT Vision and all of the catch-up services stream quite happily so why can't BT Sport?

Is this a case of BT making you upgrade even though you really don't have to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why BT are using their two DTT channels for BT1 and BT2. Surely one channel is enough for the sports rights BT have so far secured.
    The fact they appear to be not offering ESPN on DTT means non infinity enabled customers will not have any access to FA Cup matches, Europe League games etc.

Surely BT1 and ESPN would be a more attractive proposition?
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think two BT Sports channels are needed, particularly at weekends due to clashes between football and rugby, and at other times due to tennis etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Personally I can see BT shifting some of the more premium rights (FA Cup matches) from ESPN to BT Sport - maybe not initially but eventually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    Sorry if I've missed something in this thread that answers my question already, but I'm really tired after skim-reading the big one in the Broadcasting forum.

If I understand it correctly, if you don't have Infinity, then you can't get the BT Sport channels through your YouView box.

Luckily I am an ex-Sky customer so I have a Sky receiver to watch it on for free, but I'd rather watch it through my YouView box.

My question is why is it not possible for it to be streamed to the YouView unless you have Infinity? It can't be a speed issue as I can concurrently stream HD iPlayer on my YouView CatchUp and HD on my laptop - my 6.5Mbps download speed can cope with both at the same time, with no bufferring.

Even if HD was the problem, I don't care about HD! BT Vision and all of the catch-up services stream quite happily so why can't BT Sport?

At the moment, live internet TV is only available over fibre. But in the future, that situation may change. Maybe.

There have been no announcements yet on developments on the YouView platform, but there will shortly be many. Before the start of the football season. So atm, its just a case of wait and see.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need greater bandwidth for multicast live streaming than you do for iPlayer which, due to buffering, can cope with uneven download speed.

There is a BT SIN document somewhere that states that the TV Connect product can cope with delivery over ADSL2+ for a limited number of SD TV channels at 2.5 or 3Mbps but I don't know what connection rate these require for a reliable service.

BT has only equipped Infinity exchanges with the necessary multicast equipment for starters. However the fact the service is capable of running over ADSL2+ means there is some hope that you might be able to get it at some future date if they roll out further.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,507
    Forum Member
    You need greater bandwidth for multicast live streaming than you do for iPlayer which, due to buffering, can cope with uneven download speed.

True, but at the expense of delays, of course - it's often more than a few seconds behind 'live', far more than the 7-8 second HD delays, and even then is subject to suddenly stopping/rebuffering at critical points in popular events. This afternoon's Grand Prix was a good example of that and it happens regularly with iPlayer and other streams of popular events - they are often chase-play events in effect.

BT's Multicast/TV Connect services should avoid not only buffering and rebuffering but also signal delays, they are the future if they work as planned under heavy load. So let's hope they do, first over fibre and then over adsl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is a BT SIN document somewhere that states that the TV Connect product can cope with delivery over ADSL2+ for a limited number of SD TV channels at 2.5 or 3Mbps but I don't know what connection rate these require for a reliable service.

BT has only equipped Infinity exchanges with the necessary multicast equipment for starters. However the fact the service is capable of running over ADSL2+ means there is some hope that you might be able to get it at some future date if they roll out further.

What he said. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    True, but at the expense of delays, of course - it's often more than a few seconds behind 'live', far more than the 7-8 second HD delays, and even then is subject to suddenly stopping/rebuffering at critical points in popular events. This afternoon's Grand Prix was a good example of that and it happens regularly with iPlayer and other streams of popular events - they are often chase-play events in effect.

BT's Multicast/TV Connect services should avoid not only buffering and rebuffering but also signal delays, they are the future if they work as planned under heavy load. So let's hope they do, first over fibre and then over adsl.

And what you said too. :D

There may be and probably will be, many interesting developments in the short to long term future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member

SIN 511 " BT Wholesale TV Connect (TVC) ". It uses multicast over the 21CN core to deliver the service so it has a lot of bandwidth available to deliver the service.

Infinidim :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Hup_73 wrote: »
    Personally I can see BT shifting some of the more premium rights (FA Cup matches) from ESPN to BT Sport - maybe not initially but eventually.

I seem to remember the whole purpose of keeping the ESPN brand was because the existing rights ESPN hold had to be shown on an ESPN branded channel. Some of these rights still have 2 years t run so I don't see how they can be switched.

However I'm sure BT know what they are doing :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember the whole purpose of keeping the ESPN brand was because the existing rights ESPN hold had to be shown on an ESPN branded channel. Some of these rights still have 2 years t run so I don't see how they can be switched.

Ha ha.. Let's hope so!! ;)

I think the deal was, when BT bought ESPN and ESPN America they had to keep one channel branded as ESPN. I don't believe anything was said about the rights (but I could be wrong!). Obviously haven't officially taken over ESPN hence why I don' think the subject will be broached officially until after 1st Aug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member

ESPN will be kept for the mainly europrean distribution of the live American sports.

i.e. ESPN UK HD > BT Sport 1/2
    ESPN America HD > ESPN Branded Channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN will be kept for the mainly europrean distribution of the live American sports.

i.e. ESPN UK HD > BT Sport 1/2
    ESPN America HD > ESPN Branded Channel.

Have you got a source for that?

As far as I am are a part from their online stuff ESPN is leaving the european market, leaving just the UK channel operated by BT. No more ESPN America for Europe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Have you got a source for that?

As far as I am are a part from their online stuff ESPN is leaving the european market, leaving just the UK channel operated by BT. No more ESPN America for Europe.

yes, have you not read the reports in the guardian with the interview with both the head of BT and the "exec's" at disney?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    At the moment, live internet TV is only available over fibre. But in the future, that situation may change. Maybe.

There have been no announcements yet on developments on the YouView platform, but there will shortly be many. Before the start of the football season. So atm, its just a case of wait and see.

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I wasn't aware that live streaming would require any different type of tech in place from that required for streaming VOD such as catch-up services.

I suppose I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that improvements will be made soon - preferably before the footie starts! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I wasn't aware that live streaming would require any different type of tech in place from that required for streaming VOD such as catch-up services.

I suppose I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that improvements will be made soon - preferably before the footie starts! :)

BT are using multicast to distribute the video data streams as it doesn't use as much back-bone capacity. The technology has been around for quite a while as I implemented it on some very large networks 6 years ago :D. It does take a while to implement but once the technology is in the network it can be used for various applications ;).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    As I understand it, Sky Sports 1 & 2 will be leaving DTT to be replaced by BT Sport 1&2. The ESPN channel will be kept as BT's third sports channel. BT will then make a CI+ CAM available to those who want the channels - this means that most TVs of the "connected" kind will be able to have the CAM inserted in them. A BT press release on Thursday mentioned this would cost a one-off fee of £10, I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    infinidim wrote: »
    BT are using multicast to distribute the video data streams as it doesn't use as much back-bone capacity. The technology has been around for quite a while as I implemented it on some very large networks 6 years ago :D. It does take a while to implement but once the technology is in the network it can be used for various applications ;).

So what is your best guess at when live streaming will be available for non-Infinity subscribers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    This does sort of confuse things a little bit.

Since it is a BT Branded YouView box, as you would get from BT, it might get the update required.

I have taken what BT have said to mean that non BT branded YouView boxes will not receive the update and so will not be able to get the channels.

This situation has changed now -
    BT says it will offer its new sports channels to owners of retail YouView boxes after customer complaints.
    Last week the ISP announced its three new channels would be provided free to broadband customers, including those receiving its BT Infinity service.

The channels will offer sports fans 38 Barclays Premier League matches per season, exclusive Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) coverage and 800 hours of live tennis, including the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships.

Broadband customers with BT Vision and Sky+ boxes, PCs tablets and YouView boxes will all be able to receive the channels at no cost. Those registering before the August 1st launch will also receive the channels in HD free for 12 months

However following the media launch, BT’s website said YouView owners wanting to take up the offer “need to have bought your YouView box directly from BT”.

This condition, confirmed by BT’s call centres and Twitter support team, meant owners who’d purchased their boxes from retailers would be excluded from receiving the channels.

News of the exclusion prompted complaints on the BT and YouView support forums.

BT has now said it will provide a “technical solution” to allow retail box owners who also have BT infinity to receive the channels on the same terms as other broadband customers.

In a statement the company said: “We do intend to make BT Sport available to YouView retail customers who have BT infinity, and to make this available in time for the launch of BT Sport in August.

“These customers should call us, we will register their details and will contact them again when the technical solution is available.”

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-to-make-sports-channels-to-youview-retail-boxes/0527313/
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the info update. Thats made me a little happier. Although it was ok getting it free on PC its better on my YouView box as dad would not want to sit in my room to watch a scottish football game on my PC but he would watch it if it was via the YouView box on the main TV in living room.
    Im no to bothered about getting the HD version of the channels the now as long as I can get the sports channels on my retail YouView box.

Darren
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hup_73 wrote: »
    Ha ha.. Let's hope so!! ;)

I think the deal was, when BT bought ESPN and ESPN America they had to keep one channel branded as ESPN. I don't believe anything was said about the rights (but I could be wrong!). Obviously haven't officially taken over ESPN hence why I don' think the subject will be broached officially until after 1st Aug.
    That's my understanding too. On 1st August BT will acquire ESPN EMEA Ltd and all its sporting rights and that entity will probably be renamed. Before then, ESPN EMEA will have sold its online operations to a sister ESPN company, possibly ESPN Global Ventures Ltd as that company was renamed from Cricinfo UK Ltd on 17th April.

If there's any changes of ownership clauses for the sporting rights that ESPN EMEA has, then the new owners may be able to exercise them. Otherwise BT will be able to use them in line with the terms of the contracts signed between ESPN EMEA and the sporting bodies. It can then promote the sporting rights it has acquired and potentially reallocate some ESPN events to the BT-branded channels.

I think if BT acquired rights from ESPN and placed them on a theoretical BT Sport 10 channel that no one would see then the rights owners may have an issue as it would go against the terms of the original agreement they signed with ESPN EMEA. I can't see any sports rights owner having an issue with them being moved to a more prominent channel eg BT Sport 1 as this would potentially raise the value of the rights at the next tender whilst getting that sport exposed to a wide an audience as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I understand it, Sky Sports 1 & 2 will be leaving DTT to be replaced by BT Sport 1&2. The ESPN channel will be kept as BT's third sports channel. BT will then make a CI+ CAM available to those who want the channels - this means that most TVs of the "connected" kind will be able to have the CAM inserted in them. A BT press release on Thursday mentioned this would cost a one-off fee of £10, I believe.
    Interesting, thank you. Do you have a link to the press release?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not my situation but a future question will be - if you have a TalkTalk YouView box out of contract, can you swap to BT broadband and use the TalkTalk box saving the £5pm fee?