Top Gear

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Wasn't it said after a previous 'race' that a lot of the shots of the car on the road are taken later?

Yes but the crews still have to film him arriving, a lot of the long shots where the camera crew are on top of a mountain looking down etc will be the after shots, but the point is he can't arrive any faster than the crew, they could send a crew ahead to film him but when you look at their long shots you typically see a Range Rover and normally a van or MPV of some sort.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Good episode last night - I've always enjoyed the races, though I was slightly distracted by the awfulness of Hammond's jacket during last night's one!:D:o

What a great guest Amy McDonald was, too - really knowledgeable, but I thought also very sweet and humble.
    And a Woman....:eek:....she was very good.
    Just checking one of her tunes on Youtube, and there's an ad before it......for Land Rover.:)
    saralund wrote: »
    Is it really ten years since they did the last public transport vs car one? I could have sworn the race to City Airport was only five years or so ago.
    Sadly the one last night was awful.....just felt like I'd seen it all before.

Loved the GT86.....:cool:
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit contrived how he kept saying that there was no longer the fast catamaran/ferry across the channel and that it was going to take longer now and couldn't go across any quicker. What's that tunnely thing?
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy MacDonald "Slow It Down " http://youtu.be/oGwXzrW5mFc
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering why James had such a big bag :D
    I was hoping he would win for once, then I remembered his nickname!
    :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:
    Aren't you same person who watched the previous two episodes and found them both not entertaining for you? If you are - honest question - why are you still watching it?
    Jen-B wrote: »
    I loved tonight's episode. To me, that's the best episode they've done in years. Mucking around to a minimum, great race, great guest, great stuff about cars.
    Nicely put. :) Normally the star in the car part is a time for me to go make a cuppa or nip out to do something else, especially when it's someone I've never heard of before like Amy McDonald, but she had an attitude and honesty that was a welcome to see in a 'celeb'. Great episode.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I have seen or heard her she has come across as a very nice person and a good singer. But I can't help but thinking of "The Lovely" Aimi MacDonald every time I hear them name! :):):)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm due to be in the audience for the next show. Has anyone here been before? Anything I need to know?
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Movie sound track tonight tonight. We've had Hunt For Red October, Heat, Bourne Identity and now Run Lola Run.
    Also a bit of Amon Tobin 44 minutes in. If anyone wants to know the specific track:

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory OST - Ruthless

They have used The Lighthouse before. Great soundtrack...

Seen Amy Macdonald before on The Wright Stuff, I have to say she was a great fit for Top Gear. Lovely accent.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    What's that tunnely thing?

Its called a TRAIN!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm due to be in the audience for the next show. Has anyone here been before? Anything I need to know?

If you stand next to an attractive woman you are sure to be on TV.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If you stand next to an attractive woman you are sure to be on TV.

Sound advice which I now feel duty bound to follow. Thank you. :D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj2 wrote: »
    Amy MacDonald "Slow It Down " http://youtu.be/oGwXzrW5mFc

I'm not Scottish but this is one of the best renditions of Flower of Scotland ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkYiCdn834

or Springstein classic with The German Philharmonic Orchestra: a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGmyOgnXsQ

Good looking, good voice, likes cars and football. She's almost perfect. Surprised that so may people haven't heard of her but hopefully her TG appearance will bring her some new fans.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea did you see that blonde during the news :p
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode of the series so far. Testing a car that many people could afford (without making it a small family hatchback with economic engine), the race was reasonably entertaining, and the SITRPC was sweet.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit contrived how he kept saying that there was no longer the fast catamaran/ferry across the channel and that it was going to take longer now and couldn't go across any quicker. What's that tunnely thing?

They probably worked out that for May and Hammond to stand a chance of winning, they'd need to be more than an hour ahead of Clarkson so they put him on the ferry.

Also at night time the shuttle service only runs typically one tourist shuttle an hour, so it's possible the ferry wasn't that much slower overall.

Bottom line is we know it's set up, I really don't see what the problem is, the last bit is what counts and that is a free for all.
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm not Scottish but this is one of the best renditions of Flower of Scotland ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkYiCdn834

or Springstein classic with The German Philharmonic Orchestra: a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGmyOgnXsQ

Good looking, good voice, likes cars and football. She's almost perfect. Surprised that so may people haven't heard of her but hopefully her TG appearance will bring her some new fans.
    I only heard her first time last summer when i was flicking through the channels on my satellite receiver came across the video for " Slow it Down " on a Hungarian tv channel and was hooked straight away
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Loved the GT86.....:cool:
    I don't mean to be smug but they genuinely are that much fun. Even if you're not getting it sideways it's just a really sorted, enjoyable car to drive. It's a fair lump of cash but I do love driving it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    There is a small price difference - Subaru is a bit more expensive, but no by much. I own a GT-86 (disclaimer). The parts the cars are built from are the same in most casesl but the Subaru is set up a bit 'harder' than the Toyota - slightly firmer suspension, that kind of thing. Only a slight difference apparently. There's also minor cosmetic differences in the nose. In reality, Jeremy was about right. There's not enough differences to make one better than the other as a car to drive. The main reason I went for the GT-86 in the end was that the nearest Subaru dealer to me was miles away and they arsed about when I asked for test drive. The Toyota dealership was much more helpful. If that's the way they act when they haven't even got your money yet...

The main functional difference, oddly, is in the in-car entertainment kit. The GT-86 comes with a fairly up to date setup with bluetooth connectivity, touch screen controls and (if you pay) built in sat satnav. The Subaru comes with a stereo taken out of a 1982 SAAB.
    Cheers for the info :)
    I did wonder if the Subaru would be dearer just because of the badge
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Severian wrote: »
    He'd probably have won the race if he'd been in one of the cars that May and Hammond were pondering before the start in Wembley. Or even a Jag. If he'd only had to stop once for petrol/diesel ...... Makes me wonder this..

Given that he couldn't break the speed limits by much, if anything, I'll bet that the film crew could have beaten May and Hammond if they hadn't had to wait for J.C. to stop 5 times instead of once for fuel. That would have been shocking.

I was surprised with the choice of car. I did wonder as a joke he'd turn up in a modeo or omega :p or some travelling exec type car.

Didn't the Ford suffer from reliability problems when it came out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Lewis Hamilton is having another go at SITRPC later this series.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »
    You watched it though.......

Gullible fools.

Of course I watched it ...how would i know it was boring if i didnt watch it ??

people in a train
    man in a car
    +editing man doing his job
    = does not make edge of seat viewing unless your easily fooled.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gullible fools.

Of course I watched it ...how would i know it was boring if i didnt watch it ??

people in a train
    man in a car
    +editing man doing his job
    = does not make edge of seat viewing unless your easily fooled.
    :yawn::yawn:
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Oh f*** off, same old boring s*** comments every week. You obviously watched this with a gun to your head :yawn:

yep that will be the TOP Gear demograph at its most eloquant:rolleyes:

if you cant take the criticism then dont done praise and hail that mysoginist, xenophobic, controvertial, attention seeking deliberately INSULTING bigot ....Clarkson then.

if you cant take it dont dish it.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if you cant take the criticism then dont done praise and hail that mysoginist, xenophobic, contravertial, attention seeking deliberately INSULTING bigot ....Clarkson then.

If you don't like Top Gear, why watch?
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if you cant take the criticism then dont done praise and hail that mysoginist, xenophobic, controvertial, attention seeking deliberately INSULTING bigot ....Clarkson then.

You like him then? :D

I do have to confess to being genuinely confused here though. I feel the same way as you seem to feel about Clarkson about Ann Widdecombe. Difference is, I avoid anything that she appears on like the plague and if she happens to be sullying a programme I rather like, I turn off while she's on. She makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty teaspoon.

Therefore, I cannot understand why you would sit through one, let alone several, episodes of something when you detest one of the main presenters as much as you seem to.

Still, if we all understood each of our fellow men, the world would be a much more peaceful (and, dare I say, boring) place.
This discussion has been closed.