Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Tomorrow Veronica has a go at the two women and singles out one of them. She says something to the effect of having it out on the table. :eek: And she is not talking sausages.

Does anyone think she is Dutch? I detect a slight accent of that kind.

great description:D, I don't know.
    I am confused where she is from, I wondered if she may have been a nurse in the Lebanon & that's how she met Saidia
  • Mumsy24Mumsy24 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I don't like confrontation especially as the 2 hostesses were obviously caught off guard. I imagine them all now becoming quite relaxed in each others company enjoying a nice meal and then WHAM- right below the belt!

One thing I have never understood about hotels/ b&b's etc. is the fact that mattresses are so expensive to replace (particularly quality mattresses) so how do you avoid any staining when all and sundry are sleeping on them every night? You couldn't put a hospital rubber sheet on them and even a mattress protector can only protect mild staining.
    So potentially you might have to replace a mattress every week!?
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I just wonder if the other guests would have said anything about the mattress if it was on their bed. If it had been washed what was it like before it was cleaned,

I agree that mattresses should be clean but establishments can't thow them out each time their is a spill of some sort. I suppose a good quality waterproof protector is the solution. I have never checked a mattress but I suspect that if I did it would be stained. Let's not forget people go to bed for more than just sleep! ;) So if the mattress is not protected from fluids it will get stained by a perfectly natural act. And then there are those people who are excessively sweaty! :eek:
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumsy24 wrote: »
    I don't like confrontation especially as the 2 hostesses were obviously caught off guard. I imagine them all now becoming quite relaxed in each others company enjoying a nice meal and then WHAM- right below the belt!

One thing I have never understood about hotels/ b&b's etc. is the fact that mattresses are so expensive to replace (particularly quality mattresses) so how do you avoid any staining when all and sundry are sleeping on them every night? You couldn't put a hospital rubber sheet on them and even a mattress protector can only protect mild staining.
    So potentially you might have to replace a mattress every week!?

Seriously? What on earth are people doing that means a mattress protector that "can only protect against mild staining" is inadequate and "you might have to replace a mattress every week"? Good grief, surely sheets plus a mattress protector should protect the mattress enough unless something exceptional happens.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just rude to not show up for breakfast the next day. That Borrowby woman was a miserable begrudging person and Veronica and Saida seem very similar. I dont know why these people elect to show their flaws on national TV.

I still get confused by Amanda from Borrowby on a certain level. She went first, so only have that to go on, but her B&B was gorgeous and they were great hosts. I think her and Irene would have clashed whatever, but it was all very odd.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this talk of potential causes of mattress staining and how easily it can happen is really putting me off staying anywhere! :(

It's like watching an air disaster movie/documentary a couple of nights before a flight, it just stcks in your head! I just know now I'll be wondering what lurks on my mattress when I stay in the hotel on my next weekend away!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been tempted to take a look at the mattress on a bed in any hotel/B&B I've stayed in. As long as there's a clean sheet on top, I'm blissfully unaware of whatever stainage lurks beneath.

But you would think these people would have watched the programme before and realised that the other B&B owners routinely examine mattresses and go around with magnifying glasses, searching for stray hairs.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this talk of potential causes of mattress staining and how easily it can happen is really putting me off staying anywhere! :(

It's like watching an air disaster movie/documentary a couple of nights before a flight, it just stcks in your head! I just know now I'll be wondering what lurks on my mattress when I stay in the hotel on my next weekend away!

Resist the urge to go looking.;)
  • Mumsy24Mumsy24 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    SueG the only mattress protectors I have come across (other than in hospitals) are not rubber/plastic backed. If they were I may as well be in a hospital bed.

I am sure that when tea and coffee making facilities are available in a hotel room as well as a mini bar and there is spillage it would go right through both a sheet and a mattress protector?

Then of course there are children ( I am thinking perhaps more holiday camps?) with a fizzy drink in hand.

And I did say POTENTIALLY replace a mattress every week. Surely that would have to be considered?
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Resist the urge to go looking.;)

Oh, I will, I just hope I can resist the urge to wonder! :D
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Tomorrow Veronica has a go at the two women and singles out one of them. She says something to the effect of having it out on the table. :eek:
    Well, perhaps everything will become more clear tomorrow.

I've no flag to fly for any of them, the only place I'd be likely to stay is at at Katie and Ben's B&B or one of the cottages.
    1fab wrote: »
    I've never been tempted to take a look at the mattress on a bed in any hotel/B&B I've stayed in. As long as there's a clean sheet on top, I'm blissfully unaware of whatever stainage lurks beneath.

But you would think these people would have watched the programme before and realised that the other B&B owners routinely examine mattresses and go around with magnifying glasses, searching for stray hairs.

I never have either and yes, you would think they'd be almost forensic about the rooms.
    Of course, in the past it's been said that some owners close for the duration of filming and some places have other guests staying at the same time, so I suppose it depends if they have chance to do a deep clean, or just the usual turnaround.

As Gillie says though, it should be an acceptable standard of cleanliness whatever.

Changing the subject really but with the thought of how people are going off the show, has anyone else seen that ITV series with Lisa Faulkener presenting. I think it was on a weekend afternoon not too long ago? That featured holiday lets all around the country.
    In one way it was like one long advertisement, but it was nice to have a nosy.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Your comment particularly amused me due to this true story (sorry off topic)
    My friends parents used to take in foreign students, the mum was mostly in charge. Anyway this one boy had been a bit awkward and strange from start (I think he was Iranian IIRC). He came back one day after work and after going to his room came down and said to the husband 'there's a sheet on my bed'. The hubby was a bit:confused: and just said 'yes a sheet on your bed and'.
    The boy was mad and insisted he go and look and he got up there and found a s*** on the bed:eek: this is honestly true and always makes me laugh to this day. My friends parents are really not that sort to do such a thing and think he must have made enemies at work and brought it home in his bag. Mad but true:D
    LOL I dread to think how this might have happened.
    Thats fine, it is just that being a holiday home manager does give relevant insight that being a guest does not but I do insist on good service, clean rooms and beds and immmaculate bathrooms, if I can do it so can others. I think the personalities of the couples has overshadowed the real problems, if you like the people involved, the view of them is kinder, I dont care for either so it is a level playing field.
    You seem to have a knack for incorrect assumptions today.I dont see how you can know anything of my experience and you also seem to think that people like the female hosts from today when the thread comments suggests that isn't the case for the majority.
    You are defending V&S and now seeking reasons why you need to because of others bias. Is that what you are saying now? :confused:
    You shouldnt settle for mucky conditions when you pay your hard earned money however much you like your hosts
    Nobody has suggest anything different have they? Has liking the host been mentioned as a reason for keeping quiet?
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'll watch tomorrow and next week for completeness, but the show is morphing into something I don't really want to watch - too much about personality clashes and not enough about the actual establishments and their locale. Also think the potential damage to peoples livelyhoods is far too great now.

I am becoming bored with this show, the last few weeks have been very similar with too much unnecessary pickiness and few highlights. It may just be its had its time as far as my interest goes.
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I still get confused by Amanda from Borrowby on a certain level. She went first, so only have that to go on, but her B&B was gorgeous and they were great hosts. I think her and Irene would have clashed whatever, but it was all very odd.

It has often been the person who goes first who has then gone on to be the 'dragon'. i wonder how that comes about.
    It certainly was true that the reviewers all seemed to speak highly of Amanda and her husband as hosts

Lots of things that might cause stainning/leakage occur in beds, and on sofas and even cinema seats. :That will be you housebound now :D:D
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it Anthony and Peta who had a badly stainned mattress, I think it was known about and was reported as coffee.
    They said they would change it but I bet they just flipped it and put the mattress protector back on. As Mumsy says, new mattress's are not cheap.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    LOL I dread to think how this might have happened.

You seem to have a knack for incorrect assumptions today.I dont see how you can know anything of my experience and you also seem to think that people like the female hosts from today when the thread comments suggests that isn't the case for the majority.
    You are defending V&S and now seeking reasons why you need to because of others bias. Is that what you are saying now? :confused:

I wasnt actually referring to you personally, it was a general observation.

We all see things differently, makes a boring old world if we dont, everyone makes assumptions or has opinions and mine seem to be the opposite of yours.

Each to their own:D:D
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    See, if my place were being shown on TV I would go all out to make the place immaculate. Have these people not watched the show before?

I am dipping my toe into the self catering market this year as I have a holiday home I am letting out. I have opted to let an agency look after the premises; okay they get a good percentage but I don't have to worry about advertising and getting maintenance men in if something goes wrong. That's not to say I won't be hands on and will be in there every week making sure their cleaning people are doing their job. Unfortunately after today I am getting the horrors over mattresses:eek:. My mattresses are new and pristine, but how good a mattress protector should I buy? Who in their right mind would want to sleep on a waterproof cover? Yikes.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all down to personal taste I presume.
    I would rather sleep on a stained mattress with a protective cover and an Egyptian cotton sheet than a stain free mattress with a waterproof cover and polyester sheet :-0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't it strike anyone that if you were appearing on this show, you would make sure that your competition did NOT have stained mattress ( unless of course they were ALL stained!)
    Would you make sure that the ones you may just have "slagged off" got the best you had..or it this all meant to wound up the tension? V&S inspected the bed after the offending vomit-smell that no one else could smell. The explanation..this is the daughter's mattress..er why might you choose a child's mattress for likely to be picky guest?
    I do hope I am never tempted to look the mattress in any hostelry I stay. I will listen for the rustle of a protector.
    I note all the different languages spoken at V&S's. Arabic I expect but a fair number of others . The impression given on the programme that these ladies were manfully coping as a lone duo but we read about Kevin on TA and some languages might indicate migrant workers. I live in a seaside resort which probably wouldn't function without our Eastern European staff in coffee bars and hotels.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Kevin sounds like the star of the place from TA reviews. Surely something else happened, a room doesn't suddenly develop a vomit smell. Tomorrow will be good
  • buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own personal view is that if someone fails to stay the night in one of the B&B's they should be kicked out of the competition..........straight away :D

Can someone point me in the direction of a "candid" behind the scenes review of taking part - not just a plug for their particular establishment as most of the ones I can find seem to be.

Unlike CDWM , they seem very thin on the ground !!!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buttsfife wrote: »
    My own personal view is that if someone fails to stay the night in one of the B&B's they should be kicked out of the competition..........straight away :D

Can someone point me in the direction of a "candid" behind the scenes review of taking part - not just a plug for their particular establishment as most of the ones I can find seem to be.

Unlike CDWM , they seem very thin on the ground !!!

There was Graham from a few weeks back posted a blog about his experience etc and how long filming takes and so on. However I can't remember the name of his B&B.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up...think V&S were out of order not asking for another room soon as they discovered the mattress. Seems like they exaggerated about the smell in the room at dinner too. Personally I don't care about stains on a mattress so long as it has been cleaned, doesn't smell and has a cover on. There was no suggestion that the mattress smelled bad. I guess I would sort something like that if I was going on tv knowing how these shows roll...bet the tv crew seek out anything worthy of creating drama, but as helen herself said, lesson learned! On a good note Paul has grown on me after tonight & nice to see the three of them having a laugh at breakfast, which looked very nice. I'd definately stay there.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am cringing already thinking about tomorrow, I dont think either of the couples will come out smelling of roses, the man will stir and the young couple will sit on the fence and be reasonable.

Hope the young couple win

Hope they do too, although I quite like Ty'r Bull as well. Being reasonable doesn't mean you're sitting on the fence, it just means you're...reasonable. They weren't sitting on the fence during mattress-gate; they clearly stood up for Helen.
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was Graham from a few weeks back posted a blog about his experience etc and how long filming takes and so on. However I can't remember the name of his B&B.
    Wellhouse Manor Hotel in Melksham.
    http://www.wellhousemanor.co.uk/?ga=401
    and his blogs
    http://www.wellho.net/resources/M444.html

Anthony Lloyd from Fallowfields http://www.fallowfields.com/ in a previous series also made some posts. I think this is his first post.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57781479&postcount=2176
    And the Paul he refers to also posts as V8 Tigger in the same
    thread headed 'Four In A Bed..New Series..Mon 12 March 5.30pm..Ch 4' (2012)
    On the right-hand side of the top banner of Anthony's post there's a link to the whole thread. Click on it and you'll be at the page Anthony first posted on.
    (That was the week of Aphrodites in the Lake District. :D)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    Wellhouse Manor Hotel in Melksham.
    http://www.wellhousemanor.co.uk/?ga=401
    and his blogs
    http://www.wellho.net/resources/M444.html

Anthony Lloyd from Fallowfields http://www.fallowfields.com/ in a previous series also made some posts. I think this is his first post.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57781479&postcount=2176
    And the Paul he refers to also posts as V8 Tigger in the same
    thread headed 'Four In A Bed..New Series..Mon 12 March 5.30pm..Ch 4' (2012)
    On the right-hand side of the top banner of Anthony's post there's a link to the whole thread. Click on it and you'll be at the page Anthony first posted on.
    (That was the week of Aphrodites in the Lake District. :D)

Thanks Nellie!
  • buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nellie!

Yes thanks to both of you...:D
This discussion has been closed.