Helen Flanagan - is there any end to her stupidity?

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thick as mince.

This expression always makes me laugh. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head, others that are celebrated and praised for being THICK AS SH-- are:

Stacey Solomon

Chantelle Houghton

Chanelle Hayes

Brian Belo

Joey Essex

Mark Wight

In fact, ANYONE OFF TOWIE :rolleyes:

Their defenders' go-to line is always "Aww but they're so nice and sweet and aren't harming any one, so what if they're a bit dim?"

So what if she's nice?! :eek: I'm nice! My brother is nice! That stranger over there is probably NICE too! How on earth is that regarded as some kind of achievement or something to be lauded over?! It's not as if we don't have enough talented "nice" people in showbiz already. Who isn't nice?! *ahem, Christian Bale*

And they ARE harming through making people believe that being that hideously thick, ignorant and clueless about anything other than hair products and Big Brother line-ups is acceptable. It's not!! In my books anyway. I'm not a genius, far from it, and I watch some dire TV too, but at the same time I know who the Prime Minister is, I know the what the capital of France is, and I have a basic opinion on the state of the economy etc I just can't get my head around people who don't know these extremely basic (and sometimes, important) things!

Why are these stupid people famous and filthy rich for being...for being...for being NOTHING but thick?! Jealous? Me? Of course I'm jealous of people who earn tens of thousands of pounds for doing bugger all, really!!! :mad:

:o Wow. Didn't realise how strongly I felt about this subject....

EDIT: I am just one of those people who don't find dim/thick/whatever you want to call it, funny. :sleep:

This is such a great post and you've put into words exactly why I have a problem with "nice but dim" types being celebrated so much.

Marry me? :D
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Off the top of my head, others that are celebrated and praised for being THICK AS SH-- are:

Stacey Solomon

Chantelle Houghton

Chanelle Hayes

Brian Belo

Joey Essex

Mark Wight

I would also add the ever charming Charlotte Crosby to that list aswell :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also add the ever charming Charlotte Crosby to that list aswell :rolleyes:

Thank you. I still can't believe how the White Knights of Digital Spy were rushing to defend her honor in another thread. :eek: :rolleyes:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stupid faces she seems to be constantly pulling distract from any possible sexiness she may or may not possess. I personally don't think she is sexy at all in any way, and wonder what the people who put these ridiculous lists together are smoking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stupid faces she seems to be constantly pulling distract from any possible sexiness she may or may not possess. I personally don't think she is sexy at all in any way, and wonder what the people who put these ridiculous lists together are smoking.

I can't stomach this trend for young women pulling stupid faces and constantly waggling their tongues around. Makes me feel just a bit ill. :o
    Forum Member
    Thank you. I still can't believe how the White Knights of Digital Spy were rushing to defend her honor in another thread. :eek: :rolleyes:

I just fail to see how people like her are being glorified for being thick as s**t, having no talent and in Charlottes case wetting the bed. :mad:
    Joey Essex is another one who really grinds my gears, I refuse to believe he is as thick and as 'I'm a nice guy me' as he makes out.

I actually don't mind Helen Flanagan though :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just fail to see how people like her are being glorified for being thick as s**t, having no talent and in Charlottes case wetting the bed. :mad:
    Joey Essex is another one who really grinds my gears, I refuse to believe he is as thick and as 'I'm a nice guy me' as he makes out.

Totally agree with your first paragraph. The way we celebrate dimness in this country now just makes me wonder what went wrong and when.

I don't give thought to Helen Flanagan most of the time but I do think it's genuinely damaging to society when the press champion women like her.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He isn't. I have several friends who have crossed paths with him and say he's rude, arrogant, foul mouthed and uses 'do you know who I am?'without a hint of irony.
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    He isn't. I have several friends who have crossed paths with him and say he's rude, arrogant, foul mouthed and uses 'do you know who I am?'without a hint of irony.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I can't bear him.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what if she's nice?! :eek: I'm nice! My brother is nice! That stranger over there is probably NICE too! How on earth is that regarded as some kind of achievement or something to be lauded over?! It's not as if we don't have enough talented "nice" people in showbiz already. Who isn't nice?! *ahem, Christian Bale*

Well, I'd say being nice is more laudable than being clever or talented, personally. Being nice - kindness, pleasantness to others - isn't universal at all, and it makes the world better to be in for everyone.
    And they ARE harming through making people believe that being that hideously thick, ignorant and clueless about anything other than hair products and Big Brother line-ups is acceptable. It's not!! In my books anyway. I'm not a genius, far from it, and I watch some dire TV too, but at the same time I know who the Prime Minister is, I know the what the capital of France is, and I have a basic opinion on the state of the economy etc I just can't get my head around people who don't know these extremely basic (and sometimes, important) things!

Stupidity certainly shouldn't be seen as something to aspired to, that I agree with, and if Helen is feigning it, then that's wrong. But if she simply is stupid, then I don't think she can be held to blame if others see that as something to emulate.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    She is on some health diet where she drinks vegetable juice. Has she given up smoking? Someone needs to tell the bimbo that fruit and veg drinks are no much use when she is filling her lungs with protential cancer sticks

Incorrect. Fruit and vegetables are full of vitamin C, which helps to neutralise the free radicals caused by smoking.

In the 50's, the tobacco industry managed to prove cigarettes don't cause lung cancer by testing them on apes, who didn't develop the disease. Probably because they were eating solely fruit and vegetables.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stacey Solomon

Chantelle Houghton

Chanelle Hayes

Brian Belo

Joey Essex

Mark Wight

Their defenders' go-to line is always "Aww but they're so nice and sweet and aren't harming any one, so what if they're a bit dim?"

Why are these stupid people famous and filthy rich for being...for being...for being NOTHING but thick?! Jealous? Me? Of course I'm jealous of people who earn tens of thousands of pounds for doing bugger all, really!!! :mad:

:o Wow. Didn't realise how strongly I felt about this subject....

EDIT: I am just one of those people who don't find dim/thick/whatever you want to call it, funny. :sleep:

Agree. None of these people are truly thick though. They're putting on the whole "I'm such a bimbo!" shtick.

In answer to the OP, yes there is an end to Helen's stupidity, because she's putting it on! I remember when she was much younger, she was of normal intelligence.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Flanagan is not attractive in the slightest and never looks nice. So desperately unsexy, it's actually painful. So she's got a big pair of tits :rolleyes:

Oh come on Tweacle.

Before I get jumped on as a 'Internet white knight' by a baying mob, of rabid outraged females, I should state I am no personal fan of Flanaghan. Having said that, it's exactly your kind of post that prompts so many of the 'you must be jellus' type comments on DS.

She may not be to your liking, but to claim she is 'not attractive in the slightest' and is 'desperately unsexy' is simply absurd and seems pretty baseless. There is a reason she get's so much coverage in the press, has so many pictures etc and I can assure you it's not for her intellect, or insight into the problems facing the world today. Just saying ;)

To give a bit of perspective, I see no appeal whatsoever in the brain dead thicko male types such as Mark Wright or any of the TOWIE lot, but I can understand why certain types of women may find him attractive. I wouldn't come out and say he's pig ugly, or desperately unattractive, as clearly he's not.

There seem to be a lot of double standards in this showbiz section, especially when concerning women that by and large are deeemed to be 'attractive'. I shall tread carefully..:D

*puts on hard hat and readies himself for barrage of abuse for having the audacity to point this out'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Before I get jumped on as a 'Internet white knight' by a baying mob, of rabid outraged females, I should state I am no personal fan of Flanaghan. Having said that, it's exactly your kind of post that prompts so many of the 'you must be jellus' type comments on DS.

Bwhaha.

Some of the posts on this forum really are too much. :D
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I know it's quite sad, but I really hate coming to blows with people on here, and as soon as I posted my rant I thought, "Well, I shan't be visiting that thread again!" :( for fear of seeing post upon post of people calling me out for being too harsh on these types of people, or jealous or whatever else they like to say.

So I'm thrilled that although only a handful, most people seem to agree with large parts of what I've said! I'm not just being cynical and over critical. Hurrah for mankind!! :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on Tweacle.

She may not be to your liking, but to claim she is 'not attractive in the slightest' and is 'desperately unsexy' is simply absurd and seems pretty baseless. There is a reason she get's so much coverage in the press, has so many pictures etc and I can assure you it's not for her intellect, or insight into the problems facing the world today. Just saying ;)

To give a bit of perspective, I see no appeal whatsoever in the brain dead thicko male types such as Mark Wright or any of the TOWIE lot, but I can understand why certain types of women may find him attractive. I wouldn't come out and say he's pig ugly, or desperately unattractive, as clearly he's not.

There seem to be a lot of double standards in this showbiz section, especially when concerning women that by and large are deeemed to be 'attractive'. I shall tread carefully..:D

*puts on hard hat and readies himself for barrage of abuse for having the audacity to point this out'

i'm loathe to re-quote entire posts if i can help it, but i certainly think yours has certainly summed up my feelings about the subject far more eloquently than I ever could.

but hey, rules are rules so i'll send you a spare hard hat :D
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Bwhaha.

Some of the posts on this forum really are too much. :D
    Indeed Molly, indeed! I'm not tarring EVERY female of course with this brush, far from it!!
    i'm loathe to re-quote entire posts if i can help it, but i certainly think yours has certainly summed up my feelings about the subject far more eloquently than I ever could.
    but hey, rules are rules so i'll send you a spare hard hat :D
    Ha ha. Thank you for the kind words Mr Waktins and indeed the extra hard hat- it may well come in useful should I dare to dip my toe again in the murky double standard waters of DS Showbiz section. To be honest I'm kinda amazed I haven't been hung drawn and quatered already. There's still time I suppose... :D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh when The Sun said she was going to play a lead part in the next Bond movie. Wonder what as? Since she has no acting ability, maybe she'll be offered the part of tea girl!
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on Tweacle.

Well, hold up a minute. Obviously I can't speak for Tweacle Tart but I think the point is that although HF is - imo - attractive, she goes out of her way to be unattractive to anyone with a brain because of (a) the uber-sexualised posing and (b) the uber-stupidity. That is a lethal combination as far as objectivity goes and one that generates, at best, impatience and distaste and, at worst, loathing for her and the media climate that encourages it.

Helen has chosen this path, is milking it like crazy and in doing so has made herself really unattractive so it's really not surprising that some people can't see past that anymore. And that's Helen's responsibility, no one else's.

I find her very easy to ignore but I liked her in Corrie and I think it's a real shame that 'being thick' has become her career of choice.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    414,000 followers,come on,who are you ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I still don't understand why she quit Corrie. At the time I think she said she was suffering panic attacks by being in the limelight all the time. What ??!!! So, you quit Corrie and make an entire 'career' out of being in the limelight.

Im sure she is earning more now being a media **** ..... but at least in Corrie you just THOUGHT she was playing dumb.

This. She's boring now with how stupid she is...just shows people will pay you attention if you look pretty with a designer hat and you pout enough.

Flirt your way to success, then get success, quit and be famous for being a dumb bimbo.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    She looks like she in a "how wide can you open your eyes" competition. Ridiculous.

So people shouldn't make fun faces sometimes when they're taking photos of themselves? Riiight. Okaaay.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Oh come on Tweacle.

Oh, I'm certainly not in the dark about what men find attractive. I tend to find it's generally not what women look for. I would hope to God if I was a man I would aim a bit higher than the Jordan types to be honest.

She has a nice body and a big pair of knockers but facially, I don't find her attractive at all. She had piggy eyes, bad skin and looks horrific without make up. Not much better with it on. All those stupid gurning selfies she puts on Facebook don't help either. She looks like a blow up doll. She's not even pretty never mind gorgeous. And don't even get me started on that freakin' topknot!

I'm certainly not afraid to say if I find a woman attractive - I think Audrey Fleurot (French actress) is absolutely stunning but you'll probably say she's an ugly ginger :D - but I just don't get the deal with Flanagan at all.

It's personal taste though innit!
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Well, hold up a minute. Obviously I can't speak for Tweacle Tart but I think the point is that although HF is - imo - attractive, she goes out of her way to be unattractive to anyone with a brain because of (a) the uber-sexualised posing and (b) the uber-stupidity. That is a lethal combination as far as objectivity goes and one that generates, at best, impatience and distaste and, at worst, loathing for her and the media climate that encourages it.

Helen has chosen this path, is milking it like crazy and in doing so has made herself really unattractive so it's really not surprising that some people can't see past that anymore. And that's Helen's responsibility, no one else's.

I find her very easy to ignore but I liked her in Corrie and I think it's a real shame that 'being thick' has become her career of choice.

She is just plain horrid. Everything I dislike in a girl.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Helen's a beautiful lass when her appearance is done up the right way.