Radio 1 - what are they playing at?

MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a458619/bbc-radio-1-rejects-nicole-scherzinger-hurts-from-playlist.html

Talk about rub their noses in it too by tweeting the artists to say there are better new singles out such as One Direction.

Comments

• ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they mean they are adding them next week? i don't get why they would advertise acts that they are never adding, especially since Nicole Scherzinger helped promote Nick Grimshaw's breakfast show..
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure. That's what I'm hoping and not that they won't be on the playlist at all.

Sorry. I produced a duplicate thread. I didn't realise there's another one already about this and I can't delete mine. Oops
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It's a massive shame that neither Nicole or Hurts have been added yet, but they have said they will discuss them again next week.

Anyone who has been following the AAA stuff will have seen that last week they didn't playlist Maroon 5s new track, but that they would return to it this week to discuss again - which they did - and it's now in the C list.

Having said that, they have no excuse for playlisting 1D over these two tracks. :mad:
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So strange, maybe its just a bit of PR for all involved.

Scherzinger seems popular with R1, she's been on Breakfast with Nick Grimeshaw twice I think and Greg James Twice since X Factor live show started and they played her single early on.

Must be getting playlisted but they are drumming up publicity for all involved by doing this.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    They said last week they were going to get back at ke$ha

They said the same thing this weeks so it doesn't really say anything
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit harsh to tweet the acts in question that they're not playing. Poor Nicole and the rest.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I like Nicole, but Boomerang doesn't deserve to be playlisted by Radio 1 imo. It's too generic. If she comes back with something a bit more interesting as her next single I'm sure they'll playlist her. The reason Radio 1 gets so many 40+ listeners is because they're playing those safe generic pop songs like C'mon and Boomerang. Those belong to Capital and Heart FM.

If Nicole releases something more in the direction of Right There as her next single I'm sure she'll find herself back on the Radio 1 playlist.

Also Radio 1 will play Boomerang a few times a week still anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Fine if you are going to tweet this information, but to personally tag the artist is a bit of a poor show from Radio 1. It comes across a tad childish like "we're having a party and YOU'RE not invited" :sleep:
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very strange. It was an intern who was tweeting and he even tweeted something like "we're currently discussing how terrible the Scott Mills show is". I thought they had been hacked at first.
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very strange. It was an intern who was tweeting and he even tweeted something like "we're currently discussing how terrible the Scott Mills show is". I thought they had been hacked at first.

:eek: They did that!

I think it's harsh to tweet them that they aren't going to be playing their song. Just highlights that they are not being played. I know the 1D song is a charity song but since they seem to absolutely love them I can't see them not playing any old song they put out.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    SarahJam wrote: »
    :eek: They did that!

I think it's harsh to tweet them that they aren't going to be playing their song. Just highlights that they are not being played. I know the 1D song is a charity song but since they seem to absolutely love them I can't see them not playing any old song they put out.

They will be playing those songs. The fact that they're not on the playlist means they're going to be played 3 times a week rather than 15 times a week.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    /me smugly looks at 350+ track Spotify playlist of new releases from the last three weeks and thanks Allah he never has to listen to this country's dire popular music radio ever again*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:rolleyes: It wasnt quite as simple as that!

Scott Mills and Chris Stark were on air at the time. They decided on air that as they also obviously have access to the Radio One Twitter account, they'd post some fake prank tweets, pretending to be the intern at the meeting, to make things awkward for them.

First they tweeted:

Pete here. Im soooooooooo bored. Hoping this finishes up soon. Trying to pass time by imagining everyone here naked #R1Playlist

So Pete sent one saying:

Although, now conversation has gone on to how Scott Mills show is terrible...

To which Scott put:

Still bored. Couldn't do this every week. Although the person opposite the table from me is really dishy. #R1Playlist - Pete

And the intern put:

As distracted as I am, I have pictures of a certain DJ picking is nose I'm prepared to leak..#DontTryItScott ;)

It was all a joke and mentioned on air plenty of times.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They normally play crap like Nicole's song so I am shocked on why they are giving it a miss
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    They will be playing those songs. The fact that they're not on the playlist means they're going to be played 3 times a week rather than 15 times a week.

3 times is not that much.

They should really add more songs to their playlist tho. You listen to R1 for about an hour and then it all repeats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Scherzinger's song is rubbish but Radio 1 is just garbage anyway, so why is anyone surprised?
    Tweeting the acts to tell them their decision is crass as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more "important releases" like certain labels have paid them the biggest cheques to playlist the ones they have

i don`t really listen to radio anymore but i find it really rude to personally tweet them and say we`re not playing you, is this the first time they`ve publicly done this? to an act / group they`ve ignored?
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: It wasnt quite as simple as that!

Scott Mills and Chris Stark were on air at the time. They decided on air that as they also obviously have access to the Radio One Twitter account, they'd post some fake prank tweets, pretending to be the intern at the meeting, to make things awkward for them.

First they tweeted:

Pete here. Im soooooooooo bored. Hoping this finishes up soon. Trying to pass time by imagining everyone here naked #R1Playlist

So Pete sent one saying:

Although, now conversation has gone on to how Scott Mills show is terrible...

To which Scott put:

Still bored. Couldn't do this every week. Although the person opposite the table from me is really dishy. #R1Playlist - Pete

And the intern put:

As distracted as I am, I have pictures of a certain DJ picking is nose I'm prepared to leak..#DontTryItScott ;)

It was all a joke and mentioned on air plenty of times.

Ahh right ok. I dont listen to R1 - it was Popjustice' tweets which directed me to their page.