Kylie Minogue Enjoy Yourself

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
If this song had been released as intended before PWL went with Never Too Late back in 89 would it have been a big hit or was it best left as a closing track for the album??

Comments

• ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,551
    Forum Member
    I think its definetly single material for that time and would have done really well, it's one of
    My favourite songs from the early recorded kylie stuff I was glad she performed it at the anti tour
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In comparision to the rest on the album it's not the worst song and would have served as a good single choice. Thw album itself is best left in 1989 :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I was only 5 bk then but having listened to it again my choices would have been Hand On Your Heart, Wouldn't Change A Thing, Enjoy Yourself and a double A side with Never Too Late and Over Dreaming Over You. Tears On My Pillow shoulda just been left for the movie.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I don't think Enjoy Yourself was ever seriously intended to be a single. Kylie wanted it to be released as the second single from the album but Pete Waterman vetoed the idea and went with Wouldn't Change a Thing as planned.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Enjoy Yourself was ever seriously intended to be a single. Kylie wanted it to be released as the second single from the album but Pete Waterman vetoed the idea and went with Wouldn't Change a Thing as planned.

i think it was actually the third single "never too late" that kylie requested to replace with "enjoy yourself" and i can see why it would be one or the other. the songs are quite similar in pace, but i think ultimately pete made the right decision in retrospect.

i am sort of on the fence with saw generally. there are posters on here that will insist on asserting the opinion at any given opportunity that saw single handedly ruined the pop landscape forever and while i don't necessarily agree with that view, i do think a lot of their material was lazy and throwaway. however, there were moments of complete brilliance with some of their output and i just think they should have been a lot more aware of quality control.

the early recordings with kylie was hit or miss for me and complacency played a part with some of the earlier single choices. they did massively up their game with the "rhythm of love" singles though, with the first, third and fourth singles from that album still being amongst her greatest single releases for me.

however, "never too late" was quite underrated in my opinion and was one of the highlights on her "abbey road sessions" for me atleast. i always think if a song can work with a vastly different production, then there is at least some substance to the song and i couldn't imagine "enjoy yourself" working as well in that context.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Enjoy Yourself would have been a greath fourth single and would have been a nice transition to the material she released on Rhythm of Love. You can already hear the production begin to move in that direction on Enjoy Yourself.

I love Kylie to bits but I would be quite happy if I never heard Tears On My Pillow ever again. :eek:
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    newplanet wrote: »
    Enjoy Yourself would have been a greath fourth single and would have been a nice transition to the material she released on Rhythm of Love. You can already hear the production begin to move in that direction on Enjoy Yourself.

I love Kylie to bits but I would be quite happy if I never heard Tears On My Pillow ever again. :eek:

I've always thought the song Enjoy Yourself has a Rhythm of Love vibe to it, same with the b-side We Know the Meaning of Love.They definitely wouldn't have been out of place on ROL.
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I've always thought Over Dreaming Over You should've been a single
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's my favourite track on the album.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    It's my favourite track on the album.

Mine is "Wouldn't Change a Thing" oh the amount of times I have listened to that one song....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the Enjoy Yourself 1st week album sales?
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer this album to her debut!
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    Best song on the album - originally track 3 (as printed on the booklet) but they changed the running order on the CD after the booklet was printed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newplanet wrote: »

Oh I love Tears On My Pillow, I must be the only one :D

I really like Enjoy Yourself (the song and the album). The song would have been a good single and is better (imo) than Rhythm Of Love's Title track

It's all about Never Too Late for me though, I blooming love that song!
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    A few of the songs on EY seem to be have been written/recorded with The Delinquents in mind. TOMP obviously, but also My Secret Heart and Tell Tale Signs
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like WCAT very much so. I don't think Kylie looks totally happy in the video, but hey, as you said, KM didn't want this as a single, originally. When PW mentioned it to Kylie, she gradually warmed to the idea.

I like this live version on Wogan in 1989:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ByhPyMg1vGo#t=20s
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Oh I love Tears On My Pillow, I must be the only one :D

I really like Enjoy Yourself (the song and the album). The song would have been a good single and is better (imo) than Rhythm Of Love's Title track

It's all about Never Too Late for me though, I blooming love that song!

You aren't. I love it too. :D
  • Gunner DLGunner DL Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it's more of a nostalgia thing, as it was the first CD I had at six years old, but I still love this whole album!

I really like 'Tears on My Pillow', too! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the Enjoy Yourself 1st week album sales?

According to Wiki 600,000 and 1m in ten days but i think thats probably a huge over estimation.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember rushing down to Woolies on the morning Enjoy Yourself was released to get a copy, lol. I played it over and over. I still like the album a lot, although some of the songs do sound very dated now. I love the title track, Wouldn't Change A Thing, Heaven And Earth and I'm Over Dreaming Over You in particular.

Btw, why aren't Kylie's first 4 studio albums available to listen to/download online at places like itunes, Napster, Amazon, etc? I have them all on CD but are they not considered good enough for online mp3 purchasing/streaming or what?! I don't understand.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Btw, why aren't Kylie's first 4 studio albums available to listen to/download online at places like itunes, Napster, Amazon, etc? I have them all on CD but are they not considered good enough for online mp3 purchasing/streaming or what?! I don't understand.

Isn't her fourth album deleted?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still remember rushing down to Woolies on the morning Enjoy Yourself was released, lol. I played it over and over. I still like the album a lot, although some of the songs do sound very dated now. I love the title track, Wouldn't Change A Thing, Heaven And Earth and I'm Over Dreaming Over You in particular.

It's the same with Britney's Baby One More Time which sold 28m WW and nowhere on any MP3 site to DL. I think it's just that most will start with a GH of hers and go from KM94 as her PWL days are dismissed and looked down on with only the singles worthy of attention.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    It's the same with Britney's Baby One More Time which sold 28m WW and nowhere on any MP3 site to DL. I think it's just that most will start with a GH of hers and go from KM94 as her PWL days are dismissed and looked down on with only the singles worthy of attention.

God, that's crazy. She has lots of brilliant non-single tracks on those first 4 albums. Especially on her Rhythm Of Love and Let's Get To It albums. Such a shame a lot of youngsters today won't get to hear those songs, or at least those who only ever download stuff and don't bother to buy CD's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, that's crazy. She has lots of brilliant non-single tracks on those first 4 albums. Especially on her Rhythm Of Love and Let's Get To It albums. Such a shame a lot of youngsters today won't get to hear those songs, or at least those who only ever download stuff and don't bother to buy CD's.

Don't deapair they are on Youtube in full :) Though it is odd considering KM94 and IP got extensive releases so maybe in the future there is hope for PWL KM.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member

Unless they've pulled them recently, Kylie's entire back catalogue with PWL - albums, singles, mixes, the lot, are all available to download on iTunes.