Should Murray Gold Leave Doctor Who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
Forum Member
Let's be completely honest here, he's lost a lot of his originality recently; he's become much too reliant on past themes, and the orchestrations he and Ben Foster produce often overpower the dialogue. Now I'll be the first to admit he's very talented as a composer, but I think he's had his time. His work on Series 1 & 2 was amazing, really, and Series 3 was OK, but the colourful style he started out with has vanished, and he just re-iterates all the old compositions, only introducing a completely new piece maybe 3 or four times in each 13 episode series. I know you're all going to kill me :eek:. but I'm just trying to be frank here. He needs to go. Bye Murray. ;)

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its fine if you don't think he is up to scratch anymore. A shame. But hey. Its what you think. But please not more of the 'lets be honest' nonsense to frame your argument as if its some daring exercise in truth telling. It isn't. I happen to continue liking Murray Golds work and I think some of his finest works have been in the last few seasons. That's not me being dishonest or deluded. Its just what I think. I happen to disagree...I think his work got alot better after S3 and onwards.

Out of interest who would you prefer to see taking over and why?
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Murray Gold is one of the best assests of modern who, from Rose through to The Name Of The Doctor

No, he should never leave, he should be anchored down to the series forever more.

And if you think his music overpowers the dialogue, check your TV's sound settings.
    If your TV is fine, check your hearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Murray Gold is one of the best assests of modern who, from Rose through to The Name Of The Doctor

No, he should never leave, he should be anchored down to the series forever more.

And if you think his music overpowers the dialogue, check your TV's sound settings.
    If your TV is fine, check your hearing.

I agree that he's good at his job, but it seems to me that it's become just, to him, anyway- a job. And my TV's sound settings are fine, it's the drums and horns that aren't
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I couldn't disagree more. I love Murray Gold's music, and thought The Rings of Akhaten was magic largely because of it. I can't wait for the DW Proms!

As for originality - in a long running programme of course some themes are repeated - and I love it when I hear a familiar theme. But Gold can still work wonders - have you actually listened to Clara's theme? It's lovely.

I'm sure you are being honest, OP. No one is going to "kill" you for that - it's just a tad annoying when you imply that everyone secretly agrees with you, and they don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gwylock1 wrote: »
    I agree that he's good at his job, but it seems to me that it's become just, to him, anyway- a job. And my TV's sound settings are fine, it's the drums and horns that aren't

No its your TV sound settings or your own hearing. I have never had problems hearing the dialogue watching DW and over the years I have watched on an old mono set, a mobile phone, a tablet and on an HD TV with full speaker set up. I have never missed a word of the dialogue due to the music.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man who wrote the Rings of Akhaten score is not coasting on past ideas.
    Forum Member
    Its fine if you don't think he is up to scratch anymore. A shame. But hey. Its what you think. But please not more of the 'lets be honest' nonsense to frame your argument as if its some daring exercise in truth telling.
    Here: :mad:
    I'm just trying to point out how few pieces of music he's produced lately haven't been variations upon previous themes of his. It's not that he's not up to scratch anymore, it's that he feels complacent in his job!
    I think his work got alot better after S3 and onwards.

Example? I liked Series 4/5, too, I'm not singling them out, I just thought they were... lacking, somehow.
    Out of interest who would you prefer to see taking over and why?
    Mark Ayres, Dominic Glynn, Peter Howell, Danny Elfman, maybe even Hans Zimmer! (just so long as he didn't become too theme-centered like he has with those Sherlock Holmes movies) Any other talented composer who has time! I'd even like it if they circled through different composers like they did in the classic series, that prevented the show's soundtracks from getting repetetive...
    I agree that Murray has done a great job, but I think it's time he moved on. Yes, he was good, but it's time for someone else to come along and give us some newer, fresher stuff. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also when it comes to repeating motifs or themes in his music some may call it unoriginal, I call it him having his own individual sound that is recognizable.

You could say the same about John Williams or Hans Zimmer. Their work is always pretty instantly recognizable and that's because they have a certain sound and certain melodies they return to. Doesn't make them any less talented.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the same way. His music just doesn't feel that original to me anymore, and I think sometimes that he's getting bored with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The repeated themes give knowing viewers hints to what's happening. One piece is another played backwards which is insanely cool.
    Forum Member
    Personally, I couldn't disagree more. I love Murray Gold's music, and thought The Rings of Akhaten was magic largely because of it. I can't wait for the DW Proms!

As for originality - in a long running programme of course some themes are repeated - and I love it when I hear a familiar theme. But Gold can still work wonders - have you actually listened to Clara's theme? It's lovely.

I'm sure you are being honest, OP. No one is going to "kill" you for that - it's just a tad annoying when you imply that everyone secretly agrees with you, and they don't.

Yes, he has put out some great music, and I can't wait for the Proms either. I just think we should have some new blood, so to speak, in the programme. I didn't mean to imply that everyone secretly agrees, I'm just trying to express how I feel, and I KNOW there are a lot of people who agree with me. :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    One piece is another played backwards which is insanely cool.

Which ones are those?
    Forum Member
    No its your TV sound settings or your own hearing. I have never had problems hearing the dialogue watching DW and over the years I have watched on an old mono set, a mobile phone, a tablet and on an HD TV with full speaker set up. I have never missed a word of the dialogue due to the music.
    I didn't say it made you miss dialogue, just that the audio mixing makes it a bit difficult to hear sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here: :mad:
    I'm just trying to point out how few pieces of music he's produced lately haven't been variations upon previous themes of his. It's not that he's not up to scratch anymore, it's that he feels complacent in his job!

Example? I liked Series 4/5, too, I'm not singling them out, I just thought they were... lacking, somehow.

Mark Ayres, Dominic Glynn, Peter Howell, Danny Elfman, maybe even Hans Zimmer! (just so long as he didn't become too theme-centered like he has with those Sherlock Holmes movies) Any other talented composer who has time! I'd even like it if they circled through different composers like they did in the classic series, that prevented the show's soundtracks from getting repetetive...
    I agree that Murray has done a great job, but I think it's time he moved on. Yes, he was good, but it's time for someone else to come along and give us some newer, fresher stuff. :D

Hey. Its fine if you don't like him. Its just that phrase 'lets be honest' which implies you are speaking for us all and that those that disagree are somehow not being honest. That isn't the case.

I loved his S3 work especially in the finale. Amys theme, I am the Doctor, Claras Theme, The Rings entire soundtrack...i could go on.

Its funny you say Elfman as I feel about him as you do Gold. He became a parody of himself years ago and in my opinion its been years and years since he produced a truly memorable piece of work. Bit like Tim Burton his mentor.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be completely honest OP, you're talking rubbish. ;)
    I don't know how anyone can watch the rooftop scene in The Angels Take Manhattan or the Doctor's speech in The Rings of Akhaten and say that Murray Gold has lost his way. I personally can't wait for the Doctor Who prom and the Series 7 soundtrack.
    And as for his music being so loud, it makes it difficult to hear the dialogue- I've never had this problem. It must be your TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    The repeated themes give knowing viewers hints to what's happening. One piece is another played backwards which is insanely cool.

I didn't know that.:eek: Which themes are they?
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I feel the same way. His music just doesn't feel that original to me anymore, and I think sometimes that he's getting bored with it.

I was starting to think I was the only one in these forums who was of that opinion. I wonder if we did a survey and found out how many of the people who are composers or musicians were people who agree, what that would show...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was starting to think I was the only one in these forums who was of that opinion. I wonder if we did a survey and found out how many of the people who are composers or musicians were people who agree, what that would show...

That musicians always think they can do better than other musicians, perhaps? ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upon hearing 'This is Gallifrey' in the Name of the Doctor I was cheering at the screen! Those references back are a real treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upon hearing 'This is Gallifrey' in the Name of the Doctor I was cheering at the screen! Those references back are a real treat.

Yes, me too! (Thanks for providing an example - I couldn't think of one. :))
    Forum Member
    Hey. Its fine if you don't like him. Its just that phrase 'lets be honest' which implies you are speaking for us all and that those that disagree are somehow not being honest. That isn't the case.

I loved his S3 work especially in the finale. Amys theme, I am the Doctor, Claras Theme, The Rings entire soundtrack...i could go on.

Its funny you say Elfman as I feel about him as you do Gold. He became a parody of himself years ago and in my opinion its been years and years since he produced a truly memorable piece of work. Bit like Tim Burton his mentor.

I'm not talking memorable, I'm talking music. If you analyze the composition of most of Murray's recent pieces, you find simple harmonies and cheap tricks all over the place. And I think you may be right about Danny Elfman, but at least his work still has SOME variation in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, me too! (Thanks for providing an example - I couldn't think of one. :))

Murray Gold is the most constant thing and in a way binds the seasons together. When hearing that piece played suddenly it transports you back to Saxon and the Valiant and then The End of Time and Dalton and mad witch timelords. Love it!
    Forum Member
    Let's be completely honest OP, you're talking rubbish. ;)
    I don't know how anyone can watch the rooftop scene in The Angels Take Manhattan or the Doctor's speech in The Rings of Akhaten and say that Murray Gold has lost his way. I personally can't wait for the Doctor Who prom and the Series 7 soundtrack.
    And as for his music being so loud, it makes it difficult to hear the dialogue- I've never had this problem. It must be your TV.
    Sounds like we'll just have to disagree on this.
    Forum Member
    That musicians always think they can do better than other musicians, perhaps? ;):D
    Or perhaps that they know what they're taking about. :cool:
    Forum Member
    Murray Gold is the most constant thing and in a way binds the seasons together. When hearing that piece played suddenly it transports you back to Saxon and the Valiant and then The End of Time and Dalton and mad witch timelords. Love it!
    I have nothing against musical references, but I think it's definitely out of hand if these take up 90% of each episode's soundtrack.