Having some trouble selecting WPA-2.

After selecting WPA-2, this is the message I get;

The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.

I have already tried to change the settings under "manage wireless networks", but that doesn't work as well.

:(:(

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Don't configure any of the settings manually. If its messed up for some reason it would be better to delete the connection from the list and start fresh - Windows should sort out the security details for you when you try to connect and prompt for the WPA key.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    What are the settings in your router, is the security set to WPA-2 ??
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    What are the settings in your router, is the security set to WPA-2 ??

No, it's not.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not.
    That will explain the message you are getting then.

Both ends of the link have to be set the same. So if you want to use WPA 2 you have to set the router to it. Usually the laptop will work out for itself that it needs to switch to WPA 2 when it negotiates a connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    That will explain the message you are getting then.

Both ends of the link have to be set the same. So if you want to use WPA 2 you have to set the router to it. Usually the laptop will work out for itself that it needs to switch to WPA 2 when it negotiates a connection.

I set the router to WPA 2, then "manage wireless networks" & that's when the message appears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you changed the router settings did you do so via ethernet cable or WiFi? Quite often if you change the settings via WiFi you get kicked off which is why it's advisable to make changes using a cable connection.

If you are kicked off the laptop should try to reconnect and set it self up accordingly. Presumably you have an internet connection that is letting you post here. If the laptop isn't using WPA 2 and won't let you select it then that suggests the router isn't set to WPA 2 either.

What make and model of router are you using? That might help diagnose the problem better.

Also what happens if you tell the laptop to disconnect from the router then tell it to connect again? Does that switch it to WPA 2? Assuming the router actually has switched as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you changed the router settings did you do so via ethernet cable or WiFi? Quite often if you change the settings via WiFi you get kicked off which is why it's advisable to make changes using a cable connection.

If you are kicked off the laptop should try to reconnect and set it self up accordingly. Presumably you have an internet connection that is letting you post here. If the laptop isn't using WPA 2 and won't let you select it then that suggests the router isn't set to WPA 2 either.

What make and model of router are you using? That might help diagnose the problem better.

Also what happens if you tell the laptop to disconnect from the router then tell it to connect again? Does that switch it to WPA 2? Assuming the router actually has switched as well.

I'm using an ethernet cable, the router is a Netgear DG834G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using an ethernet cable, the router is a Netgear DG834G.
    Connect to the router via cable. Turn OFF the WiFi on the laptop so you are only using the cable connection.

Log on to the router configuration and go to the Wireless Security settings. Make the changes and remember to save them (Save or Apply button). Log out of the router set up. Then go back in and double check that the settings changes are still in place.

Now disconnect the cable and turn WiFi back on on the laptop. It should just connect normally. If you also changed the security password it will prompt for that.

But you should not need to do anything to select WPA2 or whatever you set the router to. If you then go into the properties of the WiFi connection you should see it has set itself to WPA2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Connect to the router via cable. Turn OFF the WiFi on the laptop so you are only using the cable connection.

Log on to the router configuration and go to the Wireless Security settings. Make the changes and remember to save them (Save or Apply button). Log out of the router set up. Then go back in and double check that the settings changes are still in place.

Now disconnect the cable and turn WiFi back on on the laptop. It should just connect normally. If you also changed the security password it will prompt for that.

But you should not need to do anything to select WPA2 or whatever you set the router to. If you then go into the properties of the WiFi connection you should see it has set itself to WPA2.

Same thing keeps happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing keeps happening.
    I presume when you turned on the WiFi that the laptop found the network and connected OK and you have internet access?

If you have internet access and the laptop is in WPA mode then that suggests the router is also in WPA mode. In which case you won't be able to change the laptop mode.

So either you are not changing the router mode correctly or the router is not saving the changes and despite you selecting WPA 2 it's going back to WPA.

It would help diagnose the problem if you described exactly what you are doing step by step. Also there are several variants of the DG834 with subtly different firmware so it would also help to know which version you have.
    Forum Member
    Another possibility is the security type, if the laptop was using a different type than was set on the router.
    There may be a mixed mode as on my router ?

http://s24.postimg.org/7cxsq5jqt/AES.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another possibility is the security type, if the laptop was using a different type than was set on the router.
    There may be a mixed mode as on my router ?

http://s24.postimg.org/7cxsq5jqt/AES.png
    It is a while since I set up a DG834 but don't recall seeing any option like that. Nor did I see one on the couple of manuals I downloaded from the Netgear website.

Certainly have seen it on other kit though so a real possibility. Though even so, if the router were set to mixed mode and the laptop was able to do WPA 2, it doesn't really explain why it won't let the sandman select it.

Just looked up another manual on the Netgear website. One version of the DG834 at least does do mixed WPA/WPA2 so that is a real possibility. Still doesn't explain why the laptop won't select WPA2 either automatically on connection or later manually.
    Forum Member
    It is a while since I set up a DG834 but don't recall seeing any option like that. Nor did I see one on the couple of manuals I downloaded from the Netgear website.

Certainly have seen it on other kit though so a real possibility. Though even so, if the router were set to mixed mode and the laptop was able to do WPA 2, it doesn't really explain why it won't let the sandman select it.

Just looked up another manual on the Netgear website. One version of the DG834 at least does do mixed WPA/WPA2 so that is a real possibility. Still doesn't explain why the laptop won't select WPA2 either automatically on connection or later manually.

That screenshot I left was a Sky supplied Sagem router and I think you are right that the choice may not be there on the DG834G whether AES or TKIP or mixed mode. I have a DG834G V3 in a box somewhere but it has been a good while since I used it.
    I was using a Huawei router after the Netgear on TalkTalk, that did have TKIP or AES or mixed and had a problem with one laptop connecting until I changed it to mixed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume when you turned on the WiFi that the laptop found the network and connected OK and you have internet access?

If you have internet access and the laptop is in WPA mode then that suggests the router is also in WPA mode. In which case you won't be able to change the laptop mode.

So either you are not changing the router mode correctly or the router is not saving the changes and despite you selecting WPA 2 it's going back to WPA.

It would help diagnose the problem if you described exactly what you are doing step by step. Also there are several variants of the DG834 with subtly different firmware so it would also help to know which version you have.

First, I'm disconnecting from the internet using the network & sharing centre, then I'm connecting the ethernet cable before accessing the router. The firmware is V4.01.40 .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First, I'm disconnecting from the internet using the network & sharing centre, then I'm connecting the ethernet cable before accessing the router. The firmware is V4.01.40 .
    Not enough detail.

You need to tell us every single thing you do otherwise we have no idea what you are doing and where it might be going wrong.

From what I have found so far firmware v4.01.40 might be for the DG834GV3 which as far as I can tell doesn't do WPA 2 though I can't so far find out if that version firmware added WPA 2.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Look up the specifications of your Wireless Security for your specific Modem/Router/Wireless Access point. There are various versions of the DG834G, earlier ones did not do WPA2 at all.
    2. Look up the specifications of your Wireless Card/Chipset of your PC/Laptop.

Other sources:
    http://www.wi-fi.org/certified-products-search

All the above is available on the internet, and looking at your device manager in Windows. Router setup pages etc. If either 1. or 2. is quite old then check particularly whether it is actually capable of WPA2 at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not enough detail.

You need to tell us every single thing you do otherwise we have no idea what you are doing and where it might be going wrong.

From what I have found so far firmware v4.01.40 might be for the DG834GV3 which as far as I can tell doesn't do WPA 2 though I can't so far find out if that version firmware added WPA 2.

Ok. after disconnecting using network & sharing centre, I 'm accessing the router & looking under the wireless options section. I'm selecting WPA2 & then clicking on apply, that's when that message appears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. after disconnecting using network & sharing centre, I 'm accessing the router & looking under the wireless options section. I'm selecting WPA2 & then clicking on apply, that's when that message appears.
    It sounds like you are not disconnecting the WiFi properly. Click on the network icon on the Taskbar to open the list of connections. Click on the entry for your router and a Disconnect button appears. Click that and you will be kicked off your router. Confirm that by trying to go to any random website you like and it should fail.

Now connect via cable and go into the router and double check it has remembered you've set WPA 2. Back out of the router and disconnect the cable.

Then click the network icon again and on the entry for your router will be a Connect button so click that. If the laptop connects OK then it should select WPA 2 all by itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like you are not disconnecting the WiFi properly. Click on the network icon on the Taskbar to open the list of connections. Click on the entry for your router and a Disconnect button appears. Click that and you will be kicked off your router. Confirm that by trying to go to any random website you like and it should fail.

Now connect via cable and go into the router and double check it has remembered you've set WPA 2. Back out of the router and disconnect the cable.

Then click the network icon again and on the entry for your router will be a Connect button so click that. If the laptop connects OK then it should select WPA 2 all by itself.

Same message keeps appearing.

Disable
    WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
    WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
    WPA2-PSK(Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key)
    WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
    WPA-802.1x
    WPA2-802.1x
    WPA-802.1x+WPA2-802.1x

The one highlighted is the one I'm trying to select.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Have you followed the advice in post #2? You need to delete the existing wireless connection on the computer and then try reconnecting to the router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Have you followed the advice in post #2? You need to delete the existing wireless connection on the computer and then try reconnecting to the router.

How do I delete it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I delete it?
    Firstly, either copy and paste the security key from the router into a text document and save that document to your computer somewhere you can easily find it later or write the key down. You will need it to reconnect.

Go into Network and Sharing Center and on the left you'll see Manage Wireless Networks. Click on that, In the box that pops up you should see your router listed.

Click on it and Remove will appear in the bar at the top of the list. Click on Remove and say yes to the warning that appears.

That will zap your WiFi connection.

Now try connecting via cable to the router and select WPA 2. You should not get any error message. Apply the settings, back out of the router set up and disconnect the cable.

Now click the network icon in the Taskbar and select your router from the list. Click the Connect button and it will prompt for the entry of the security key. So either copy and paste from the text document you created at step one or copy from the written note. Copy and paste is better as you are less likely to get it wrong.

The laptop will think about it for a bit and eventually connect you up. If it has worked you will be back on the internet exactly as before and with WPA 2.
    Forum Member
    If all the above doesn't work try the security setting underneath the one that you are trying ' WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK '.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have we even got the basic information here:
    What version of Windows?
    What PC, specifically what wireless network adaptor?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same advice as
    If all the above doesn't work try the security setting underneath the one that you are trying ' WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK '.

doing it via a cable not wireless.