Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I really love this show. Lot of people saying it's not funny. It's not supposed to be. The humour is supposed to be more ironic and a little bittersweet rather than The Office kind of funny.

Didn't like Kev though. I thought his character was unneccessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: the show is called derek - if you dont like how derek is being played, and you dont like derek then dont watch this show and go write your own maybe....Seriously, talk about pulling something to pieces till there's nothing left. :confused:

I completely agree with AlrightMates review. He makes some very valid points.

Candyfloss - It looks like you're saying don't review something unless you want to sing it's praises. You're saying if he doesn't like it, don't watch it which is a decision he is capable of making himself. Your post makes a lot less sense than his does.

I thought Karl was excellent in particular.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes: the show is called derek - if you dont like how derek is being played, and you dont like derek then dont watch this show and go write your own maybe....Seriously, talk about pulling something to pieces till there's nothing left. :confused:

Yeah, well you'd just change the title to 'Dougie' or something then wouldn't you?:p:D

Why don't you want me to watch the show?
    I don't need your advice about whether I should watch it or not.
    There's things I like about it and some things which don't ring true for me.
    Am I supposed to offer a ringing endorsement for it, or is this a discussion forum where people offer various different points of view? I didn't realise that this was a Derek fan thread.
    I think that Derek has good things going for it, as I have said so, but I'm not going to blow smoke up its arse if there's something that I think doesn't quite work for me.

Part of the reason for these threads is to not just say whether you liked or didn't like something, but to offer a critique and have a discussion. What would be the point of endless threads saying how amazing and brilliant something is?

As it goes I do write for my own projects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Actually, it seemed to me that alrightmate's post was considered, well argued and grammatically correct. Unlike many FMs' posts.

Maybe the show deserves being 'pulled to pieces till there's nothing left); that wouldn't be my opinion, but if someone is of that opinion, that's fine.

Thanks for the kind words.:)

I think I'm fair. It's not as though I have an irrational hatred against Ricky Gervais. I really rate some of his things.
    For example the animated 'The Ricky Gervais Show' is one of the best things I've seen for ages and I'd find it hard to find fault in it.
    Sometimes though I think you have to be critical or how would anyone ever get better at anything?
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, well you'd just change the title to 'Dougie' or something then wouldn't you?:p:D

Why don't you want me to watch the show?
    I don't need your advice about whether I should watch it or not.
    There's things I like about it and some things which don't ring true for me.
    Am I supposed to offer a ringing endorsement for it, or is this a discussion forum where people offer various different points of view? I didn't realise that this was a Derek fan thread.
    I think that Derek has good things going for it, as I have said so, but I'm not going to blow smoke up its arse if there's something that I think doesn't quite work for me.

Part of the reason for these threads is to not just say whether you liked or didn't like something, but to offer a critique and have a discussion. What would be the point of endless threads saying how amazing and brilliant something is?

As it goes I do write for my own projects.

I agree that it's a tad cartoonish and his portrayal is somewhat inconsistent possibly, but it's gervais' creation and you can't scrap the whole character on which the whole thing is based. lol. It's a character he's honed for years and the rest of the drama/humour stems from derek. What you're suggesting isn't implausible for a new show but it's redundent to start saying derek needs to go. LOL. It just makes me laugh thats all (what your suggesting). Just maybe, take it for what it is.

BIB - I had an inkling. :D:D
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's exactly what Derek does, just less exaggerated.

Look up the definition of gurning. What you have shown here is expression which seems natural to KP. Gurning in its simplest definition is pulling ugly/unattractive/exaggerated faces. KP Is not pulling faces. He has the similar/practically the same expression in each depiction you have shown and it is quite appealing if anything, the opposite of gurning!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it's a tad cartoonish and his portrayal is somewhat inconsistent possibly, but it's gervais' creation and you can't scrap the whole character on which the whole thing is based. lol. It's a character he's honed for years and the rest of the drama/humour stems from derek. What you're suggesting isn't implausible for a new show but it's redundent to start saying derek needs to go. LOL. It just makes me laugh thats all (what your suggesting). Just maybe, take it for what it is.

BIB - I had an inkling. :D:D

You're right of course. I'm just speaking hypothetically if they could start afresh. I wasn't really insisting that Ricky Gervais just suddenly change it all now. Too late. You're also right in that if the series itself was spawned by the idea of Derek as a character then it would never have existed in the first place without him.

It's as though it could have been very good indeed. But I wouldn't rate it anywhere near as high as The Office, or Extras, or my personal favourite The Ricky Gervais Show.

He says it's supposed to be a 'kind' show, but I find the sentimentality to be too clumsy, as if it's painted on with broad brush strokes. His comedy can be as brash and as bold as he likes, but I think he needs a much more subtle touch if he wants to try for something that's supposed to be emotionally touching.
    As has already been mentioned, the music is heavy handed and is used to crowbar sentiment into the drama, and he just seems to grab at the obvious. For example he knows that a lot of the public love puppies and cats. What better way to push people's emotional buttons by having these poor old people stroking cute little puppies with sentimental mawkish piano music playing over the top.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught a bit late last night and however much I wanted to be outraged, it was quite sweet in places, especially 'Derek' playing with the dog.

Wasn't sure what to make of the bit when the guy suggested Derek may have Autism and everyone appeared to 'defend' him :confused: Suggests there is something 'wrong' with being autistic..... hmm

Lose the pervy character and get RG to admit that Derek is supposed to have a disability of some sort (and that's OK) then I might be converted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I caught a bit late last night and however much I wanted to be outraged, it was quite sweet in places, especially 'Derek' playing with the dog.

Wasn't sure what to make of the bit when the guy suggested Derek may have Autism and everyone appeared to 'defend' him :confused: Suggests there is something 'wrong' with being autistic..... hmm

Lose the pervy character and get RG to admit that Derek is supposed to have a disability of some sort (and that's OK) then I might be converted.

It is a bit strange to be made to feel as though you're judgmental or prejudiced just because you assume that Derek may be autistic.
    As you say, it doesn't mean that the people who think this are coming from a bad place, it's just that Derek portrays some of the character quirks many would normally associate with autism.

It reminds me of the threads you see on DS where a poster speculates about whether a celebrity is gay, and then some other poster responds by asking "Does it matter?" suggesting that there's something somehow a bit homophobic by simply speculating about it.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

i didn't see it quite like that. It was more that everyone knows Derek is probably Aspergers or Autistic or learning disabled but to him and them he is just Derek and what difference does a label make? I thought that was quite nice.

Loved the bit where he had the tadpoles in the bedpan :D
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to tonight's episode.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Could do with less demented piano playing:rolleyes:
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love this show! It's quite emotional already
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight's episode.

Deleted..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying tonight's episode. Very well written and acted.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Sorry if it sounds horribly unkind, but I howled with laughter at the old woman standing in front of the camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could do with less demented piano playing:rolleyes:

Aww Sharrd Arrp...
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is beautiful TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This gives me a great idea for a show.. "Celebrity Undateables"

:D
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Im im pieces again...damn you Gervais!

I knew the new girl's attitude would change, just thought it might take longer.

What was the ending song?
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I really love this show. Lot of people saying it's not funny. It's not supposed to be. The humour is supposed to be more ironic and a little bittersweet rather than The Office kind of funny.

Didn't like Kev though. I thought his character was unneccessary.

Totally agree with this post. Exactly how I see it as well.

Also the bit at the end was lovely tonight. :) Good episode, I'm enjoying the series!
    Forum Member
    Well I think Ricky Gervais has got nothing but affection for this lot. That may not have been the case with Extras - still his funniest, for me - but blimey, with that segue at the end he answered some critics who class him as cynical and exploitative in glorious style.
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Im im pieces again...damn you Gervais!

I knew the new girl's attitude would change, just thought it might take longer.

Radiohead I think. Or Muse.
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Radiohead - Bones
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Another good episode tonight, very heartwarming at the end. Not keen on the Kev character he doesn't bring anything to the show and is quite annoying. I think he needs to be dropped for series 2