• bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone got 5Live details for yesterday?

I'll try and use iPlayer later if not
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Presented by John Sinclair from Bloomfield Road (14:00-18:00) and Charles Dagnall from Welford Road (18:00-22:30)

Championship
    Blackpool v Leicester City - Jason Bourne and Alan Young (15:00 commentary)

Conference North
    Hinckley United v Workington - Andy Gibbs

Premiership Rugby
    Leicester Tigers v Saracens - Bleddyn Jones and Steve Johnson (20:00 commentary)

Six Nations
    England v France - Russell Hargreaves
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 24th February - talkSPORT

Georgie Bingham presenting Sunday Exclusive from Wembley Stadium, followed by Call Collymore from Wembley Stadium

Capital One Cup Final
    Bradford City v Swansea City - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (4pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside, Mike Bovill and Matt Holland on Wembley Way and Carl Ralley producing

Premier League
    Manchester City v Chelsea - Nigel Adderley and Ray Parlour (1.30pm commentary), with Robbie Fowler providing "expert comment", Dom McGuinness at pitchside and James Dodd producing
    Newcastle United v Southampton - Graham Courtney

Championship
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Cardiff City - Dave Rowe

Rugby Union: Six Nations
    Scotland v Ireland - Stuart Cameron

talkSPORT Live

Capital One Cup Final
    Bradford City v Swansea City - Alex Crook and Matt Lawrence

Premier League
    Manchester City v Chelsea - Richard Connelly and Paul McVeigh (featured 1.30pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Newcastle United v Southampton - Adam Bridge
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,535
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Anyone got 5Live details for yesterday?

I'll try and use iPlayer later if not
    BBC Radio Five Live
    Fulham v Stoke Darren Fletcher and Nigel Spackman (commentary)
    Arsenal v Villa Jonathan Legard
    Norwich v Everton Russell Fuller
    QPR v Man Utd John Murray and Graham Le Saux (commentary)
    Reading v Wigan Jonathan Overend
    WBA v Sunderland Pat Murphy
    Bolton v Hull Alistair Yeomans
    Blackpool v Leicester Gary Flintoff
    Sheff Wed v Crystal Palace ?
    Watford v Derby Jacqui Oatley
    Swindon v Preston Steve May
    Hearts v Inverness CT Ian Turner
    R/U: England v France Alistair Eykyn, Ian Robertson, Matt Dawson and Paul Grayson (commentary)
    R/L: Bradford v St Helens Dave Woods
    I don't think the above list is necessarily complete.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Ian, that's a decent round up!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Peter Slater at Sheff Weds given his location
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradford City V Jackland (League Cup Final)

BBC Radio Wales

Simon Davies hosting from (the new) Wembley stadium, with commentary from Rob Phillips, Ian Walsh and Leighton James. Gareth Blainey is pitchside reporter.

On 'Swansea at Wembley' before hand, you had Mal Pope and Owen Money interviewing fans and people from BBC Radio Leeds (Wes Butters and ?), with Jason Phelps interviewing pople who will be watching the game at a pub somewhere in Jackland

BBC Radio Wales commentary photo (left to right:- Mal Pope, Rob Phillips, John Hardy, Leighton James and Gareth Blainey)

BBC Radio Cymru

Eleri Siôn hosting from Wembley stadium, with commentary from John Hardy, Iwan Roberts and Owain Tudor Jones. Gareth Blainey is pitchside reporter.

On a special 'Ar Y Marc' before it, Dylan Jones hosted from a bus near Olympic Way, with Dylan Llewellyn, Ywain Gwynedd and Glyn Griffiths. One fan interviewed spoke uncannily like 'Janice' from Friends, despite being from deepest darkest Carmarthenshire.

Swansea Sound - Antony O'Connell
    IRN News - Richard Newman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    BBC Radio Wales

Newport County V AFC Telford United - Mark Poyser and Jason Perry (Online)
    Me wrote: »
    The same two will be doing commentary (on SE FM only) of Wolverhampton Wanders V Cardiff City* / Cardiff* / Cardiff Dragons* / Cardiff Redbirds* (*delete as appropriate) tomorrow.

Owain Llyr for Radio Cymru
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Sunday 24th February

BBC WM

Championship
    Richard Wilford and Mark Regan: Wolves v Cardiff

BBC WM Sport was presented by Mark Regan
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 24/2/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 810MW.

Celtic v Dundee (12.45pm) - Rob Maclean, Murdo MacLeod and Billy Dodds (commentary)
    Dundee Utd v Celtic (4.30pm) - Scott Davie and Craig Paterson (commentary) with Jim Spence pitchside

Billy Dodds joined Richard Gordon in the studio at Pacific Quay for the second game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    League Cup Final - Alan Green, Mike Ingham & Robbie Savage

Darren Fletcher was at Wolves/Cardiff

Not sure who was at the 2 PL games
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the cliche been used to describe Robbie Savage in the past is 'love him or hate him'. I'm actually somewhat in the middle. I think he's a reasonable enough pundit but nowhere near the top of 5 Live's list. I've hence been somewhat surprised and disappointed to see him getting Real Madrid V Manchester United and the League Cup final in recent weeks. The likes of Armfield, Taylor, Burley and Nevin are all somewhat better in my opinion, not to mention a few others.

I'd be interessted to know why Talksport don't use Andy Gray for any of their domestic coverage. I know he's done UEFA games before (including Euro 2012) but I don't think he's done any Premier League commentaries, etc. I know he generally works every weekday so can understand him not being given low-profile matches like Southampton V Fulham or whatever. But I'd have thought on a day such as this when there are 2 clearly strong matches it would make sense to have Gray on one and Collymore and the other.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    League Cup Final - Alan Green, Mike Ingham & Robbie Savage

Darren Fletcher was at Wolves/Cardiff

Not sure who was at the 2 PL games

Man City v Chelsea - John Murray + Phil Brown
    Newcastle v Southampton - Alistair Yeomans
    Celtic v Dundee - Roddy Forsyth

Wolves v Cardiff - Mike Sewell + Dean Kiely for Sports Extra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Shaun :)

Ian Payne presented from Wembley with Paul Jewell
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking something today as I listened to Radio Newcastle. They cover both Sunderland and Newcastle (as well as Gateshead online)

In the increasingly rare event they both play at the same time

Home team gets AM and DAB

Away gets FM.

If FM/AM went, how would they air both games?
  • jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I was just thinking something today as I listened to Radio Newcastle. They cover both Sunderland and Newcastle (as well as Gateshead online)

In the increasingly rare event they both play at the same time

Home team gets AM and DAB

Away gets FM.

Have a second DAB channel?
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds FM*, and official Bradford City website
    host: Gareth Jones
    commentator: Dave Fletcher
    summariser: John Hendrie
    reporters: Adam Pope and Katherine Hannah

The Pulse**
    host and commentator: Tim Thornton
    summariser: Ian Ormondroyd

*The rugby league and the first hour of Connections was on all other platforms. Yorkshire Brass was only on Radio York.
    **The pulse could have done with an additional reporter to get postmatch reaction. The postmatch coverage was poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 24th February - Newstalk 106-108FM

Joe Molloy presented Newstalk Sport Sunday alongside Reggie Corrigan, with Ger Gilroy taking the reigns after the commentary

Premier League
    Manchester City v Chelsea - Dave McIntyre and Kevin Kilbane (1.30pm commentary)
    Newcastle United v Southampton - Al Ross (as IRN)

Capital One Cup Final
    Bradford City v Swansea City - Richard Newman (as IRN)

Rugby Union: Six Nations
    Scotland v Ireland - Cian Murtagh, with Reggie Corrigan providing studio analysis

Newstalk just took IRN's updates on the Capital One Cup Final, leaving their programme pretty blank after 4pm. This has been the case on League Cup Final day for a few seasons now. If I was running Newstalk Sport, I'd see if I could get one-off commentary rights to just the final of the League Cup, something talkSPORT did for a number of years before extending their commentary access to the competition this season.

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presented The Goalzone from Molineux

Championship
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Cardiff City - Tom Ross and Matt Murray (2pm commentary in the Black Country and Shropshire), with Steve Hermon conducting post-match interviews

I can relate Ambassador's question about BBC Radio Newcastle to local radio in the West Midlands:
    Ambassador wrote: »
    jimmylad wrote: »
    Have a second DAB channel?

Both BBC WM and Free Radio 80s cover five teams from their patch, so have similar scheduling conflicts. As BRMB, Beacon Radio, Mercia and Gold prior to the rebrand last season, the now Free Radio stations used to split between FM and AM, with the home teams on FM and away teams on AM. This season, the divide has changed to an AM/DAB split - so if Villa are at home and Blues are away, the former will be on Free Radio 80s DAB platform in Birmingham with the latter commentary going out on 1152AM in the Second City.

BBC WM's situation is a fair bit different. They only have the one analogue frequency - 95.6FM - so prior to the arrival of DAB they didn't have much room for manoeuvre. However, WM is covered by two DAB multiplexes, those serving Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Thus there are occasions when they'll do three game splits - say Aston Villa on FM, West Brom on DAB in Birmingham and Wolves on DAB in Wolverhampton. Other times they'll do a two way split, but with the DAB multiplex that isn't the home region of the team selected for DAB coverage (say the Birmingham MUX when Wolves are on the Wolverhampton MUX) taking the FM coverage as it usually would.

Are Newcastle and Sunderland covered by different DAB multiplexes? If so, then if FM and/or AM coverage was to disappear, a similar solution to the one BBC WM uses could be the answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Both BBC WM and Free Radio 80s cover five teams from their patch, so have similar scheduling conflicts. As BRMB, Beacon Radio, Mercia and Gold prior to the rebrand last season, the now Free Radio stations used to split between FM and AM, with the home teams on FM and away teams on AM. This season, the divide has changed to an AM/DAB split - so if Villa are at home and Blues are away, the former will be on Free Radio 80s DAB platform in Birmingham with the latter commentary going out on 1152AM in the Second City.

BBC WM's situation is a fair bit different. They only have the one analogue frequency - 95.6FM - so prior to the arrival of DAB they didn't have much room for manoeuvre. However, WM is covered by two DAB multiplexes, those serving Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Thus there are occasions when they'll do three game splits - say Aston Villa on FM, West Brom on DAB in Birmingham and Wolves on DAB in Wolverhampton. Other times they'll do a two way split, but with the DAB multiplex that isn't the home region of the team selected for DAB coverage (say the Birmingham MUX when Wolves are on the Wolverhampton MUX) taking the FM coverage as it usually would.

Are Newcastle and Sunderland covered by different DAB multiplexes? If so, then if FM and/or AM coverage was to disappear, a similar solution to the one BBC WM uses could be the answer.

I know it is going back a bit but I remember in the early days of local radio commentary in the Manchester area, when 2nd half-only commentary was normal, Piccadilly Sport used to be on 1152 AM only, and often United and City played at the same time, and the away team would almost certainly get the commentary. But if both were away at the same time, they used to switch between the two games every few mins. I'm pretty sure that Oldham Athletic used to get a few comentaries as they were having a good time in Div2 - whereas other local sides were relatively poor then - Bolton and Wigan were playing at the same level as Bury, Rochdale, Stockport etc, so didn't justify commentaries normally.

Doesn't matter much now anyway as Man United don't get any local commentary on radio anyway!
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5live: 25/02/2013.
    Mark Chapman presenting 5Live sport from Upton Park.

West Ham V Tottenham: Darren Fletcher, John Motson and Steve Claridge (commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those contributors to/readers of this thread mulling over what newspaper they should pick up today, may I recommend The Times. With it being the 20th anniversary of Bobby Moore's death this week, Jonathan Pearce has written a long article in today's Times about his memories of working with Bobby on Capital Radio during the late 1980s and early 1990s, with them working together right up until the week of Bobby's untimely death.

I'm pleased to say Jonathan Pearce's tribute to Bobby Moore has been reproduced on the BBC Sport website. Good on The Times for agreeing to this, JP's memories of working with Bobby deserve a wider audience than to be limited to Thursday's print copy of the newspaper and then behind their online paywall. It's well worth a read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21554794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 25th February - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Monday Night Feist Night alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur - Ian Abrahams

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur - Kevin Hatchard and Jason Euell
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In 2010 the BBC carried out a trial in Northern Ireland where they split their 128k allocation into two 64k streams to allow both the Radio Ulster & Radio Foyle programming to be broadcast in mono. The response was generally positive as most listeners preferred to have both stations rather than just the one in stereo.

In time the BBC will probably replicate this on all of the local multiplexes, so there could be Radio Newcastle & Radio Newcastle Extra, with both labels pointing at the one 128k stream when the extra station is off-air.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,535
    Forum Member
    BBC London
    West Ham v Tottenham Andy Rowley and Bradley Allen (commentary) with Jamie Hill
    Studio Jamie Reid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    BBC Radio Scotland, 24/2/13

Celtic v Dundee (12.45pm)
    Dundee Utd v Celtic (4.30pm)

Hands up those who believe the Old Firm teams have too much dominance over Scottish Football?
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hands up those who believe the Old Firm teams have too much dominance over Scottish Football?
    Ah crap.

Dundee Utd were, of course, playing Hibernian.