Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    Lesley Gardiner producer of ITV's Jimmy Savile exposure was unsure....
    ... how people would react to the news that Jimmy Savile, knight of the realm, a man who had raised more than £40m for charity, was a paedophile who had preyed on some of the most vulnerable children.

“I feared there’d be a backlash,” said Lesley, 48, who grew up in Sunderland.

I was thinking about this last week what if Newsnight had broadcast their feature just over a month after his death?

It would have been a 10 minute feature on Newsnight with little pre publicity, posibly with not to many extra viewers tuning in.

Would The Mail & The Sun have continued their adulation of Jimmy Savile and been outraged at the BBC trampling over saintly Savile's grave while he was still warm.

In their hatred of the BBC would the papers have dismissed Karin Ward as a lone voice, with a criminal past?

Would those making allegations have been a mere trickle for fear of the newspapers?

By not broadcasting the feature did it allow speculation to rise the BBC had something to hide and that grew and grew over the next 9 months culminating in a number of stories in the press before the ITV programme appeared.

PS. I note the News of The World is now referred to as the Sunday Sun...so no cover up or re-writting of history there then.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    copy M Williams Thomas
    Very sad, sick, evil. Some people need sorting
    ---
    Mark Williams-Thomas Mark Williams-Thomas ‏@mwilliamsthomas

In cambodia over 30,000 children are involved in sexual exploitation, and where an 8yr old child can be rented for 3 days for around $30
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    inquirer64 wrote: »
    Dreadful, if not disgusting, that he did not admit to his sexual conduct immediately because victims suffer further abuse when not believed.

Article in the observer where the question is asked 'why the delay'? One reason given is that the abused have the right to come to terms with what has happened to them in their own time, and when they are ready. Often they come forward when they realise they are not the only one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/02/cardinal-keith-obrien-sex-scandal-priests

I thought that was a very good point re victims of abuse in general. They're not public property and have no obligation to come forward unless and until the circumstances are right for them as individuals. And those circumstances are going to be varied and diverse and very personal and not ones that can be dictated by public opinion. It always bothers me when I see people saying 'they should have come forward sooner' as if their first obligation is to other people, placing an additional burden on them on top of what they've already been through.
  • sozzled2daysozzled2day Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I thought that was a very good point re victims of abuse in general. They're not public property and have no obligation to come forward unless and until the circumstances are right for them as individuals. And those circumstances are going to be varied and diverse and very personal and not ones that can be dictated by public opinion.
    It always bothers me when I see people saying 'they should have come forward sooner' as if their first obligation is to other people, placing an additional burden on them on top of what they've already been through.
    Exactly. There's also the nasty implication that because the victims chose not to come forward earlier, they must all be liars and only doing it for the money. If any of these twerps bothered to read up on child abuse, they'd soon realise that not coming forward at the time is extremely common. Some of the abused may never come forward, choosing only to confide in close friends or a therapist, and that's totally their right. I wish people would belt up about why people don't speak up earlier. Going by many of the judgemental comments on these Savile threads, it's easy to see why they wouldn't want to come forwards. Not only have they been abused, but they then have to tolerate accusations of lying on top of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murun has found a grim article about paedophiles links with Eastern Europe
    http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/the-web-of-pure-evil-28-10-00/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I thought that was a very good point re victims of abuse in general. They're not public property and have no obligation to come forward unless and until the circumstances are right for them as individuals. And those circumstances are going to be varied and diverse and very personal and not ones that can be dictated by public opinion. It always bothers me when I see people saying 'they should have come forward sooner' as if their first obligation is to other people, placing an additional burden on them on top of what they've already been through.

It took me 30 years and the comfort of a loving wife to reveal what my dad did to me.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paedophile ring leader, Colin Peters, linked to Barnes scandal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/paedophile-ring-leader-colin-peters-linked-to-barnes-scandal-8518078.html

Cyril Smith, as with Saville, kicked the bucket, before they could be brought to Justice
    No doubt really, both should have served time. Life in the case of Saville
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. There's also the nasty implication that because the victims chose not to come forward earlier, they must all be liars and only doing it for the money. If any of these twerps bothered to read up on child abuse, they'd soon realise that not coming forward at the time is extremely common. Some of the abused may never come forward, choosing only to confide in close friends or a therapist, and that's totally their right. I wish people would belt up about why people don't speak up earlier. Going by many of the judgemental comments on these Savile threads, it's easy to see why they wouldn't want to come forwards. Not only have they been abused, but they then have to tolerate accusations of lying on top of it.

There was a whole thread on the "Why didn't she come forward earlier" re the musician who committed suicide during the recent trial. It was suggested that she did this because she had been lying and/or was a nutter. Her words were also twisted to suit the OP. I had previously thought this poster was reasonable.

The OP said that he had known people whose lives had been ruined by being falsely accused. This seems to be the same reason why other FMs have occasionally posted on here against the general feeling as I know they have mentioned it too.

They are entitled to do so but on the other hand these same people show a lack of knowledge or any wish to acquire it, and a lack of understanding of and empathy with the subject. The OP I mentioned equated it with someone stealing from you: You should report it straightaway.

When someone has that mindset, it is almost impossible to change it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missed this on Sunday

Police failings put dozens of children at risk from notorious paedophile ring
    Documents reveal some visitors at Elm Guest House went on to commit series of child sex offences

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-failings-put-dozens-of-children-at-risk-from-notorious-paedophile-ring-8518522.html
    Forum Member
    MP's allegations a victim of 'serious sexual harassment' by a former editor of The Sun was paid £500,000 to remain silent.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/nov/11/sun.pressandpublishing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boy Business (ITV documentary on British paedophiles linked with Amsterdam child abuse films)

http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/the-boy-business-itv-documentary-on-british-paedophiles-links-with-amsterdam-child-abuse-films/

Warning - it's pretty unpleasant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Former head of BBC misled Savile inquiry
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article3705552.ece
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Child Abuse Survivors News
    http://paper.li/allgodschilddoc/1307357916
    Forum Member
    Certain links to websites with a set agenda, that claim to be joining up the dots, appear unable to have joined up thinking and so suppress certain facts to suit their agenda.

The Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) had been around and strongly opposed for about 10 years before Leon Brittan became Home Secretary on 11 Jun 1983.

Within 3 months of Leon Brittan becoming Home Secretary three executive members of PIE were arrested on 8 September 1983.

By the summer of 1984 PIE had in affect imploded, so publicity seeking red faced Geoffrey Dickens Private Members Bill on 27 June 1984 to ban PIE was a complete was of time.

PIE officially announced it had disbanded. Later in the year (14 Nov 1984) David Joy and Peter Bremner were found guilty of sending an indecent magazine through the post.
    Forum Member
    Reading some the websites linked to they look homophobic with there nudge, nudge, wink, wink innuendo about people who were arrested in the 1960's and even the 1980's for sex offences, which are these days perfectly legal.

If Richard Wilson (One Foot in The grave) had been sexually active in the 60's he could have been one of those arrested and because of his age even arrested after homosexual acts were dicriminalised.

If had been arrested I'm no doubt one of those homophobic witch hunting websites would be pointing a sinister finger at Richard Wilson.
    Forum Member
    Forced Marriage Unit helped 250 children last year... the youngest case involving a two-year-old.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21665322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vatican accused of cover up over Cardinal Keith O'Brien's 'sexual conduct'
    The Vatican has been accused of orchestrating a cover-up over the disgraced Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien amid claims that it knew of allegations against him for five months but kept them secret.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/9908687/Vatican-accused-of-cover-up-over-Cardinal-Keith-OBriens-sexual-conduct.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murun Buchstansangur ‏@murunbuch

The rest of Europe know about Elm Guest House paedophile cover-up but BBC won't mention it http://www.wikistrike.com/m/article-115910769.html … #Fernbridge
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks Cardinal O'Brien's public humiliation was possibly a quite deliberate attempt to make a sacrificial lamb, to make everyone think the new Pope will be part of a new untaited era?
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE TIMES FRONT PAGE: Prosecutors ordered to crack down on sex abuse #skypapers pic.twitter.com/RAegcEp0tP

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/statuses/309076894790320128
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Lesley Gardiner producer of ITV's Jimmy Savile exposure was unsure....

I was thinking about this last week what if Newsnight had broadcast their feature just over a month after his death?

It would have been a 10 minute feature on Newsnight with little pre publicity, posibly with not to many extra viewers tuning in.

Would The Mail & The Sun have continued their adulation of Jimmy Savile and been outraged at the BBC trampling over saintly Savile's grave while he was still warm.

In their hatred of the BBC would the papers have dismissed Karin Ward as a lone voice, with a criminal past?

Would those making allegations have been a mere trickle for fear of the newspapers?

By not broadcasting the feature did it allow speculation to rise the BBC had something to hide and that grew and grew over the next 9 months culminating in a number of stories in the press before the ITV programme appeared.

PS. I note the News of The World is now referred to as the Sunday Sun...so no cover up or re-writting of history there then.

I think they would first dismiss Karin as an attention seeker with a dubious past and/or after a compo or a book deal, as many people do with victims of child abuse and attack BBC for broadcasting this story so soon after his death. BBC would stand behind the story and much probably more victims would come forward to support it. Then, they would ask why BBC allowed Savile on Radio and TV, why they ignored the rumours, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Reading some the websites linked to they look homophobic with there nudge, nudge, wink, wink innuendo about people who were arrested in the 1960's and even the 1980's for sex offences, which are these days perfectly legal.

If Richard Wilson (One Foot in The grave) had been sexually active in the 60's he could have been one of those arrested and because of his age even arrested after homosexual acts were dicriminalised.

If had been arrested I'm no doubt one of those homophobic witch hunting websites would be pointing a sinister finger at Richard Wilson.

Yes, I've noticed these look very homophobic. They also completely ignore the sexual abuse of girls, as if only victims of paedophiles were boys.
This discussion has been closed.