tomtom stolen ... Any way to track it?

Toilet-DuckToilet-Duck Posts: 718
Forum Member
✭✭
I know this probably isnt possible since its a GPS unit but I thought Id ask, is it possible for a TOMTOM to be tracked?

For example when they maybe update the software on the unit or connect it to the internet?

It was stolen this afternoon when my car was broken into, I always put the tomtom under my seat out of view...

They took the holder, cig adapter and the tomtom unit...

Ive reported it to the police and they are coming to visit shortly, told them the rock that they used to break in was still there...

Is it possible to track it?

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    nope , sorry , it sends no signal out so therefore .... , the problem here is the SCUM know where people hide things :mad:
  • Toilet-DuckToilet-Duck Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok thanks is it not possible to report to tomtom thats its stolen, so that when its actually connected to a PC and updated it alerts you?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say you had a holder? Was that in view? If they see that then they will know you will be hiding your device in the car.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The suction cup marks on the screen are a dead giveaway too. On another note, did you have 'home' programmed in there? If so, they'll know where you live and, if they also stole keys, might come and burgle you. Keep alert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    The suction cup marks on the screen are a dead giveaway too. On another note, did you have 'home' programmed in there? If so, they'll know where you live and, if they also stole keys, might come and burgle you. Keep alert.

I know I was just about to ask about that, I have the suction actually on my windscreen for years never had a break in or anything...

However I did put a PIN on it and it shows my full address and name.........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

good advice there , i gave up on the suction thing for my garmin and created a custom mount , and to reiterate , NEVER put your home address in as HOME , seriously bad move :eek:
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same thing happened to my satnav last year, and I did have Home programmed in - fortunately they didn't have the keys and we have an alarm system anyway, so it didn't matter. When I got the new satnav, I put my address in under one of the cat's names!
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best advice would be to use the address and postcode of a nearby pub as 'home'.
    Most of us know the immediate area around where we live so if travelling back from the unknown the satnav gets you close to where you live - you have to use your brains for the last mile!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they not be able to use it then because of the PIN? Or is it easy to get it cracked?
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the best advice would be to use the address and postcode of a nearby pub as 'home'.
    Most of us know the immediate area around where we live so if travelling back from the unknown the satnav gets you close to where you live - you have to use your brains for the last mile!!

:eek::eek::eek:
    Never occurred to me: going straight out to reprogram my tom tom now...
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or enter your real home address, but as a favourite named "John" or some similar fictitious name.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put in the local police station, as said before I know my way home from there.
    Dave
  • 83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know where the TomTom is.

Leave your drive way.

turn left

go straight on for 400 yards

turn right. make a U turn :D
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they not be able to use it then because of the PIN? Or is it easy to get it cracked?
    Unfortunately the pin protection on Satnav devices can be got around.

If the OP has had their unit stolen the best they can do is report it to the police and make sure they pass on the serial number. If it's ever recovered then there's more of a chance to get it back.

I find the best thing to do is to stop using these dedicated satnav devices. Get yourself a mobile like the N95 8 gig and put Tomtom or Garmin on it. Then buy a bluetooth GPS receiver for between £16-30 from Ebay to use instead of the built in GPS (much quicker, more reliable, works extremely well) and you're sorted. Each time you leave the car you'll take your mobile with you and it works just as well as a dedicated unit does.
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this probably isnt possible since its a GPS unit but I thought Id ask, is it possible for a TOMTOM to be tracked?

For example when they maybe update the software on the unit or connect it to the internet?

It was stolen this afternoon when my car was broken into, I always put the tomtom under my seat out of view...

They took the holder, cig adapter and the tomtom unit...

Ive reported it to the police and they are coming to visit shortly, told them the rock that they used to break in was still there...

Is it possible to track it?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear of this. A similar thing happened to me. Sadly, it can't be tracked and it's doubtful you'll ever see it again.

As annoying as the whole thing is, try to take it as a learning experience. Don't store valuable things in your car in future, because there are opportunistic theiving bastards everywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    It may be that the only way (or the easiest way) to get around the PIN is to do a factory reset of the device, in which case all your data will be wiped from it. Please don't take my word for it though!
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,424
    Forum Member
    my car got broken into a few weeks ago because they saw the suction marks on the windscreen the holder wasn't actually there but you could tell one had been, fortunately I never ever leave my tom tom or stereo in my car so the little f#ckers got nothing for their efforts, apart from my works fleece (i work for a charity so that was nice of them to nick something like that....not), I had to pay for a new window though but better that than a window and a new tom tom, now if I use my sat nav, I take the holder off the window and keep a cloth in the car to wipe off the sucker marks, it only takes a few seconds and I rather that than fork out money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    my car got broken into a few weeks ago because they saw the suction marks on the windscreen the holder wasn't actually there but you could tell one had been, fortunately I never ever leave my tom tom or stereo in my car so the little f#ckers got nothing for their efforts, apart from my works fleece (i work for a charity so that was nice of them to nick something like that....not), I had to pay for a new window though but better that than a window and a new tom tom, now if I use my sat nav, I take the holder off the window and keep a cloth in the car to wipe off the sucker marks, it only takes a few seconds and I rather that than fork out money

That's a good point. I now keep a duster and a bottle of window polish in my car for the same reason.
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    I find the best thing to do is to stop using these dedicated satnav devices. Get yourself a mobile like the N95 8 gig and put Tomtom or Garmin on it. Then buy a bluetooth GPS receiver for between £16-30 from Ebay to use instead of the built in GPS (much quicker, more reliable, works extremely well) and you're sorted. Each time you leave the car you'll take your mobile with you and it works just as well as a dedicated unit does.

Unless your mobile gets stolen like mine did :cry:

They got the mobile but not the GPS unit, but the Tom Tom application on the mobile isn't protected and had all my contacts on.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member

So what makes your house a better proposition than the thousands of houses a potential criminal goes past every day?

Its a bit of a myth that having your home in a satnav is a dangerous thing.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    So what makes your house a better proposition than the thousands of houses a potential criminal goes past every day?

Its a bit of a myth that having your home in a satnav is a dangerous thing.
    The point is that Mr Toerag has broken into your motor, nicked your SatNav and potentially the keys to said motor and your house.

Now unless the car was sat in your drive at the time Mr Toerag knows you are not at home, so there is a fighting chance there is a nice empty house waiting for him. Plus all the information he needs to go find it.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »

The Sat Navs you have used must have been dire to say the least for a GPS phone to match it. I use a Garmin Zumo for the motorcycle and car and it out performs the N95 without breaking a sweat.

Also I have put the coppers address over the road as my home address, love to see what they do with his German Shepherds when they go after them if it ever gets stolen.:D
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    That's a good point. I now keep a duster and a bottle of window polish in my car for the same reason.

I bet they are now breaking in if they see a yellow duster!

I attatch my satnav to the dash with a 2" round velcro patch from B&Q. It works well with flat sat nav. the black circle is very hard to see on a black dash.
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my Sat Nav nicked too, it was my phone but I left it in the car as I had got a new one on contract. Now I've just installed TomTom on my N95 and therefore have Sat Nav "on me" at all times again.

The thieving scum still cost me a fair bit though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony13579 wrote: »
    I bet they are now breaking in if they see a yellow duster!

I bet some are!!! I make sure I keep the yellow duster and window polish in my glove compartment!