Which 7" tablet?

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
Looking at getting a 7" tablet for use out and about, in bed and when travelling. It won't replace my phone or Macs but it'll definitely have its uses. I'm currently torn between the iPad Mini, Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0. Which one of those would you guys say is the best?

Comments

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to a store and play with them. They all work, I found the iPAD mini the easiest and most intuitive but you may not agree which is why you need to try them all yourself.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have lots of iPhone apps already then think about the mini. If not I definitely think the Nexus, the 1920x1200 screen is far superior, the processor packs a punch and it's cheaper.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Nexus 7 is the best if you are already an Android user. It's the most powerful and has the best screen in this size.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend the Mini in its current state as it's using pretty old hardware at this point. If it however gets upgraded to the A7X and Retina display I would recommend it over an Android device due to the higher quality apps.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Go to a store and play with them. They all work, I found the iPAD mini the easiest and most intuitive but you may not agree which is why you need to try them all yourself.

That's what I plan to do. Looking at the specs the Nexus 7 sounds the most promising but I really need to try them out first before buying. Trouble with the iPad Mini is that it's basically a smaller version of the iPad 2 and it's more expensive than the Nexus.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    That's what I plan to do. Looking at the specs the Nexus 7 sounds the most promising but I really need to try them out first before buying. Trouble with the iPad Mini is that it's basically a smaller version of the iPad 2 and it's more expensive than the Nexus.

One thing I prefer about iPads though is the 4:3 screen ratio, I'm not a massive fan of the 16:9 Android screen, but it's all down to personal choice.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I don't think the iPad mini is worth the price. The Nexus 7 is very slim and portable, and I think the iPad 4:3 ratio can sometimes be awkward, whereas the Nexus 7 is more like carrying a thin book, it's easier to use with one hand.

Plus the Nexus 7 does have the quad-core processor, highest resolution screen at that size, and is guaranteed updates instantly direct from Google.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tesco Hudl must be worth considering I think.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I prefer about iPads though is the 4:3 screen ratio, I'm not a massive fan of the 16:9 Android screen, but it's all down to personal choice.

Yeah I have an N7 and an iPad and I have to agree. It's odd as on the phone I prefer the 16:9 ratio as per my N4 although I think at iPhone size 4:3 works better as it's too skinny.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's got to be the Nexus. And I say that as a Mac and iPhone user. I couldn't justify the cost of an iPad Mini so got myself a Nexus 7 and I love it!
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    The Tesco Hudl must be worth considering I think.

I'm a bit sceptical about that one. When it comes to electronics I prefer to go for a known brand.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit sceptical about that one. When it comes to electronics I prefer to go for a known brand.

Tesco are a huge known brand :D
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah I have an N7 and an iPad and I have to agree. It's odd as on the phone I prefer the 16:9 ratio as per my N4 although I think at iPhone size 4:3 works better as it's too skinny.

A phone is generally designed to be used in the portait mode, perhaps except for watching a film. A tablet tends to be used in the landscape mode and I think the 4:3 screen ratio just makes that better.

Even using an Android tablet as an ebook reader I find the screen a bit to narrow compared to a Kindle ereader or iPad.

Sure if you want to watch a film then the 16:9 radio is great but I bet people web browse more than watch films and I've never really found the 16:9 format works for web pages.

I still prefer the 4:3 laptop screen but that is very rare these days.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Tesco are a huge known brand :D

I know, but my dad probably wouldn't allow me to buy it as he hates Tesco. He doesn't even like buying food from there and the horsemeat scandal didn't change his opinion :p
    I still prefer the 4:3 laptop screen but that is very rare these days.

I haven't seen 4:3 laptop screens since the Windows XP era. They all went widescreen during the Vista era IIRC. As for Macs, they went widescreen when Apple changed to Intel processors.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I know, but my dad probably wouldn't allow me to buy it as he hates Tesco. He doesn't even like buying food from there and the horsemeat scandal didn't change his opinion :p

I thought you was at Uni? If your dad won't let you buy it does that mean you are at primary school and I am mistaken? :rolleyes: :confused::D :eek:
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its not really a "tesco" built device, its an Archos - fairly well known brand who are really starting to come out with some rather good kit.

Another option if you're on a tight budget - Nook HD. Pretty good spec, and well under £100.

Kindle Fire HD - also quite good, especially the latest versions.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A phone is generally designed to be used in the portait mode, perhaps except for watching a film. A tablet tends to be used in the landscape mode and I think the 4:3 screen ratio just makes that better.

I think it depends on the size. My nexus 7 I use mainly in portrait,, but my 10" padfone is more used in landscape.
    Forum Member

I haven't seen 4:3 laptop screens since the Windows XP era. They all went widescreen during the Vista era IIRC. As for Macs, they went widescreen when Apple changed to Intel processors.

I think Panasonic still do them for the Toughbooks, but Dell and Lenovo killed them off like you say,
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, your decision, but so far the reviews of the Hudl have been fairly positive and it is very good value.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble with the iPad Mini is that it's basically a smaller version of the iPad 2 and it's more expensive than the Nexus.
    You do realise that Apple are likely to announce a new iPad Mini on October 15th?
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I thought you was at Uni? If your dad won't let you buy it does that mean you are at primary school and I am mistaken? :rolleyes: :confused::D :eek:

I am at university but he's always giving good advice on what brands to buy and what to avoid and I know if I mentioned Tesco were selling a tablet he'd just laugh and think it was crap :p
    Stig wrote: »
    You do realise that Apple are likely to announce a new iPad Mini on October 15th?

I didn't know actually :o Will it offer more than the current one?
  • MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what you need and wish to pay for a Tablet. I've had a 7inch @Tab, dual core for six months or more without any problem.

I has all the connectivity e.g. HDMI, front and rear cameras, all Android features and I got it for £89.99. I can't really fault it. It's not an iPad by any means, but not the same price either.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know actually :o Will it offer more than the current one?
    The next iPad Mini will likely have the retina screen and a slightly better camera. I'm hoping to get one myself.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Sure if you want to watch a film then the 16:9 radio is great..
    Most are now 16:10 which in higher resolution are great for both landscape and portrait mode.

4:3 is a throwback to low resolution screens.
    VGA was 640x 480 4:3 and when computers took off SVGA 800x600 was prevalent until we got xga 1024x768 4:3.

Everything 4:3 pretty much stopped there and we moved to widescreen usually keeping that same 768 height until 1080p arrived.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Most are now 16:10 which in higher resolution are great for both landscape and portrait mode.

4:3 is a throwback to low resolution screens.
    VGA was 640x 480 4:3 and when computers took off SVGA 800x600 was prevalent until we got xga 1024x768 4:3.

Everything 4:3 pretty much stopped there and we moved to widescreen usually keeping that same 768 height until 1080p arrived.

I have to disagree with you here. The 4:3 ratio is much better in portrait than 16:9. The only benefit of 16:9 is for watching videos, which is why Apple stuck with 4:3. The 4:3 iPad 4 is 2048x1536 pixels, which really pushed modern screen resolutions into the future. If it wasn't for Apple I doubt we would have made it past 1080p.

Wait for the Retina iPad Mini and A7X CPU, it will blow all the other 7" tablets out of the water. The new Nexus 7 looks good on paper, but it does suffer from a pretty unresponsive screen and slightly dodgy wifi, but overall it's the best buy if you are on a budget.