Paloma Faith . .

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm confused about this woman, I've seen her being interviewed a couple of times & she comes over really badly . .
It's as if she's a cartoon or something . .
Her songs are awul, I just wonder if I'm missing something ?

Comments

• RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, she always comes across as a not right
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the word your looking for is eccentric ;)

Personally she has had two solid albums both distinctive like her vocals and is a nice antidote to the PR'd media trained BS we tend to get these days.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I know what I mean
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't necessarily mind that she's kinda spookie, I like weirdness, it makes a change, but you kinda have to back that up with a good record, I haven't heard anything good from her yet.
    I just wondered who would buy her music . .
    If I liked her music I'd buy it, it makes no difference to me if she's a bit out there . . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hootie wrote: »
    I don't necessarily mind that she's kinda spookie, I like weirdness, it makes a change, but you kinda have to back that up with a good record, I haven't heard anything good from her yet.
    I just wondered who would buy her music . .

Well she isn't that far romoved from artists like Adele, or to a degree Lana Del Rey kind of vintage styles and distinctive vocals i think she appeals to afir few people her albums ahve both sold repectively. And in answer i would buy her music and have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her debut was great, her follow up was quite good.

Her singing voice is excellent, her speaking voice is rather annoying.

And she just comes across as a nice but nutty person, nothing wrong with that but at least she's not boring. I'd rather watch/listen to her than most singers of the minute.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, this is fantastic for a start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Her debut was great, her follow up was quite good.

Her singing voice is excellent, her speaking voice is rather annoying.

And she just comes across as a nice but nutty person, nothing wrong with that but at least she's not boring. I'd rather watch/listen to her than most singers of the minute.

This is where i think the OP is getting confused. Ovbiously we are all not going to like or get the same artists but painting it as confusing that others do makes no sense it's apples and oranges isn't it
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have one Paloma Faith than a million Cheryl Cole/Rita Ora/Rihanna etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Well, this is fantastic for a start.

I love that song:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her. She was hilarious on Buzzcocks re: Kylie tickets. I used to hate her so much but now she's back with a new album she's grew on me.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like paloma. she is a bit out there visually and she is a little kooky personality wise. however, musically i think she is great. just watched her performing `just be` on cin and once again i really enjoyed her performance. `picking up the pieces` is still my favourite song this year, it should have been a #1.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not sure what to make of her. I think she was better at acting than singing. None of her songs (apart from Upside Down) have really grabbed me. I haven't liked them. If I liked her music I'd probably buy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i like paloma. she is a bit out there visually and she is a little kooky personality wise. however, musically i think she is great. just watched her performing `just be` on cin and once again i really enjoyed her performance. `picking up the pieces` is still my favourite song this year, it should have been a #1.

Thats what i don't get visullay and personality wise she is out there but it isn't contrived it's just her. Yet an artist like Gaga wearing a meat dress and acting a fool is celebrated when it's completely contrived am i missing something :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Thats what i don't get visullay and personality wise she is out there but it isn't contrived it's just her. Yet an artist like Gaga wearing a meat dress and acting a fool is celebrated when it's completely contrived am i missing something :p

i completely agree with you there, paloma does come across like she is just being herself. i can see why people find her a little different, but i like her regardless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i completely agree with you there, paloma does come across like she is just being herself. i can see why people find her a little different, but i like her regardless.

Eaxactly like comparitively i'm a huge Kate Bush fan and i know not all will get or understand her but she is completely her own creation and that alone like with Paloma should be celebrated and respected and its a reason i like them both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eaxactly like comparitively i'm a huge Kate Bush fan and i know not all will get or understand her but she is completely her own creation and that alone like with Paloma should be celebrated and respected and its a reason i like them both.

yeah, i was watching a documentary the other night and kate was heavily mentioned. she is a true pioneer in her own right. not a huge fan of her generally, but i do appreciate her artistry and her unconventional way of doing things.

paloma`s new album is great, one of my favourites this year. i am very tempted to catch her live next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, i was watching a documentary the other night and kate was heavily mentioned. she is a true pioneer in her own right. not a huge fan of her generally, but i do appreciate her artistry and her unconventional way of doing things.

paloma`s new album is great, one of my favourites this year. i am very tempted to catch her live next year.

I Watched that was it queens of british pop :) Thats what i love about her she allowed so many female pioneers like Annie Lennox, Siouxie Sioux and now Paloma to flourish and do what they wanna do without question :)

And i love Fall To Grace i was a late comer only having got DYWTTOSB the year before and whilst not as distinctive a great album and as a live performer definitely on my list too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Watched that was it queens of british pop :) Thats what i love about her she allowed so many female pioneers like Annie Lennox, Siouxie Sioux and now Paloma to flourish and do what they wanna do without question :)

And i love Fall To Grace i was a late comer only having got DYWTTOSB the year before and whilst not as distinctive a great album and as a live performer definitely on my list too :)

yes, that was the programme.;) to be honest, i always kind of knew quite a bit about her, but that documentary really did hit home her impact. she is a legend to be fair.

yeah, i can see why people prefer paloma`s début and it is a great album. this album flows better for me and the highlights are just so great. `just be` is screaming out to be a hit, but its been selling in little quantities for ages now and it will probably flop unfortunately.:mad: the album should breeze past platinum though, so at least there will be more music.

i think i will catch this tour, she is great live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Her speaking voice is so weird. It's almost as if it's put on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? Picking Up The Pieces was one of the best singles this year. She's a bit cooky, but I like it. She seems very awkward in social situations, but she's a musician, not in a pageant so it doesn't Mae a difference to me. Her music is a bit hit or miss for me, but like I said, PUTP- spot on.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree, her music isn't awful. Have you see what is in the charts today? Her music isn't shaking the music world up but her music is lovely to hear. She isn't giving us dance crap with rappers sprouting a loads of nonsense.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love '30 Minute Love Affair' and 'Just Be'. Beautiful songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, that was the programme.;) to be honest, i always kind of knew quite a bit about her, but that documentary really did hit home her impact. she is a legend to be fair.

yeah, i can see why people prefer paloma`s début and it is a great album. this album flows better for me and the highlights are just so great. `just be` is screaming out to be a hit, but its been selling in little quantities for ages now and it will probably flop unfortunately.:mad: the album should breeze past platinum though, so at least there will be more music.

i think i will catch this tour, she is great live.

Yeah part wo is good as well interesting segments on Alison Moyet and Annie Lennox and she is indeed a legend :)

And i just think her debut is that bit more special but FTG is a stunning album and i know Just Be Was a potential smash but as you said as it has een selling slwloy ever since release it's doubtful it'll be top 10 let alone 20.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the word your looking for is eccentric ;)

Personally she has had two solid albums both distinctive like her vocals and is a nice antidote to the PR'd media trained BS we tend to get these days.

THis

Havent people ever seen or heard eccentric people before??

I think Paloma is incredibly talented, no matter how weird you think she is. Isnt it nice to have someone in the music business who doesnt present a bland, plastic image & personality that is PR friendly?

Besides Paloma really isnt that eccentric compared to lots of pop stars anyway...

I think you either "get" Paloma or you dont...