I hate Comic Relief (Merged)

windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
Forum Member
Its the same old 'has beens' everytime.

I would dearly pay an annual fee for that and 'Children in Need' to be never shown again.

Also....IT IS NOT FUNNY

Comments

• Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Of course it isn't funny.

Comedians and comedy writers aren't going to waste their best material on something they're not being paid for.

The sketches etc are so bad they are embarrassing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always look on the bright side of life...
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree. It's a waste of an evenings tv. It would be interesting to see just how much these celebs who take part actually donate to these charities.
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like we got some bad-asses round here
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know it was on it today, thought it was usually in March or April. :confused:
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know it was on it today, thought it was usually in March or April. :confused:
    15th March this year so not sure why we have a thread just into January complaining about a show not even broadcast yet lol
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily, it's not compulsory to watch it. (I don't).
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I have to agree. It's a waste of an evenings tv. It would be interesting to see just how much these celebs who take part actually donate to these charities.

or in fact do something for these causes. I realise that good celebs will do it on the quiet and say nothing about it, but most of these charidee progs only seem to promote these zelebs.

It is a national disgrace that so many kids lose parts of their childhoods and study time having to look after adults. None of these zelebs seem to be able to spend a week taking over. :mad:
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, some people are so cynical and negative.

Comic Relief is such a huge, positive event and something which Britain should be genuinely proud about. All we read in the newspapers is doom and gloom about what an awful state this country is in and about a lot of the bad things which go on every day. However, there are good things which happen and the tens of millions of pounds this event (along with Sport Relief and Children In Need) raise for very worthy causes year after year is something really admirable and never ceases to amaze.

Also, how can you sit and make assumptions about what anybody - celebrity or otherwise - gives to charity, either in terms of their time or their money. I'm sure if the information was published a lot of it would surprise us, so what reason or evidence is there to sit and assume otherwise?

I always look forward to Comic Relief as a massive comedy fan I get to see 'bonus' episodes of many of my favourite shows and there have been plenty of decent sketches and mini-episodes in recent years, you just have to search 'Comic Relief' on YouTube to find them.

Some people can find the negative in anything.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the mythology - charities say that after all these events or some calamity like the 2004 tsunami, the money just gets redirected. As for "volunteering", have a read about what charities have said about post-Olympic volunteering and "the Big Society" - these people have apparently gone missing. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the mythology - charities say that after all these events or some calamity like the 2004 tsunami, the money just gets redirected. As for "volunteering", have a read about what charities have said about post-Olympic volunteering and "the Big Society" - these people have apparently gone missing. :rolleyes:

I don't understand what points you're trying to make?

If you're asking people to 'have a read' about something, you'd really need to provide a link.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »

Nobody has to donate anything......but of course appearing free would be good, also how can raising millions of ££ for a good cause be a waste??
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I avoid all "Rich celebrities demand your money" things.
  • Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Same here.
    Anything which involves giving money abroad and the appearance of Miranda Hart or James Corden on tv is enough not to have anything to do with Comic Relief.
    Not to mention the awful obligatory charity song.
    I don't like,so I don't watch.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, comic relief. What an original target.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, those skits on Africa are in very poor taste.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity shows are "the last refuge of has-been TV personalities."

I never watch them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity shows are "the last refuge of has-been TV personalities."

I never watch them.

Wow, out of all the things I thought I might have to do this year, I didn't think having to defend Comic Relief would be one of them.

Your comment is absolute nonsense and couldn't be much further wide of the mark. Comic Relief always features 'TV personalities' who are at the very top of their game, in terms of music, comedy, acting, etc. It wouldn't work - well not to the extent it does anyway - if they got a load of has-beens in and asked people to donate, they just wouldn't raise the same massive amounts as they currently do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    I avoid all "Rich celebrities demand your money" things.

Can you explain why please.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windowseat wrote: »
    Its the same old 'has beens' everytime.

I would dearly pay an annual fee for that and 'Children in Need' to be never shown again.

Also....IT IS NOT FUNNY

Haha same here :D

I think we should all give £5 a year to each and keep them of our tv screens,

It's the same old boring stuff time after time now :yawn:

And didnt Wogan look old last time they wheeled him out surely they leave him home soon,

They said Eurovision wouldn't be the same without him but in fact it's better with Norton. :)
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like comic relief but I dont like the way you are suddenly laughing and then they say "now billy connelys been to africa...." I hate all that crap. Better than C in N that is utter rubbish !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    I agree, those skits on Africa are in very poor taste.
    Skits on Africa? Can you give examples? I've watched lots of Comic Relief nights and can't remember any making fun of Africa. I can recall a single slightly near-the-knuckle Ricky Gervais sketch but apart from that the sketches uniformly avoid the subject of Africa altogether.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Wow, out of all the things I thought I might have to do this year, I didn't think having to defend Comic Relief would be one of them.

Your comment is absolute nonsense and couldn't be much further wide of the mark. Comic Relief always features 'TV personalities' who are at the very top of their game, in terms of music, comedy, acting, etc. It wouldn't work - well not to the extent it does anyway - if they got a load of has-beens in and asked people to donate, they just wouldn't raise the same massive amounts as they currently do.

Don't sit on the fence, why not come out straight away and say you love this sort of programme?

I won't mind. But I'll still say I think they are pants.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a cause, it's brilliant.
    As TV entertainment, it is abysmal.

Because of these 2 things, I will donate money and not watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't sit on the fence, why not come out straight away and say you love this sort of programme?

I won't mind. But I'll still say I think they are pants.

I don't 'love this sort of programme.' Like any type of programme, comedy, drama, game show, chat show or whatever, there are ones I like and ones I don't like. I like Comic Relief as I'm a big fan of comedy. I don't like Children In Need, although there are bits that appeal to me. (By that I mean I don't like the program, I still think it's a massively worthy cause.)

Comic Relief raises ridiculous amounts of money for charity, so I don't personally see any need for a thread discussing it as it is clearly a massively positive event. However, if people want to have a discussion about it, then making silly, blatanly untrue comments like you did when you said it is full of 'has-beens' is of no help to the debate whatsoever and not constructive at all.