If SEGA released a new console would it be able to rival Xbox and Playstation?

2»

Comments

• royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sega are already working on a console, news of which will be formally announced next month.

http://s18.postimage.org/8dkoc2xo9/segaphoenix.jpg

"The Sega Phoenix (so called because of its rise from the ashes) will be twice as powerful as the X Box 360 and over 100 exclusive titles will be available at launch including Knuckles Combat, Pasta Shapes From Outer Space, Battle Horizons (said to be better than COD) and Jupiter: Red Alert Threat. It all sounds very promising.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    It's a shame they dreamcast bombed as it was one of the best consoles out there at the time and had some great games. Unfortunately they failed to deliver on the online side of things at launch, and games were easily pirated by anyone with a burnable cd drive.

Which was unusual as the Saturn had the best copy protection of any console.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Which was unusual as the Saturn had the best copy protection of any console.

Um, a phillips screwdriver and one elastic band later and you can play what you like. ;)

N64 had the best protection imo.
    Forum Member
    Um, one elastic band later and you can play what you like. ;)

Really, I thought it required a modchip?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Nah you just open it up and pin down the drive door mechanism so it' s continually spins and you can use the swap trick which is a little hard to learn but once you get the timing down it's really easy. Since the Saturn is region locked you can only use disks and play backups from the region of your console, but an action replay cart can get you access to all regions.

I don't personally do that as I'd rather buy Saturn games since they are so gorgeous and had mine modded for region and 60hz but it IS very good for trying before you buy since some of the games are insanely expensive.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're lucky enough to get a hold of the Action Replay cart, you can also use that for region free gaming on the Saturn.

Sega make a new console? In my dreams. The problem is that they would have to put a lot of money (that they don't have) into developing and kicking off the manufacturing of the hardware.

We're in an age where there a lot of cheap components to choose from that are really very capable pieces of silicone, but the real trick is how you connect those things together while making the console easy to use.

If Sega were to make a console again, it might be a smart idea to go the Vita route, just in a console case with higher power consumption. Multi-core ARM, with a beefed a mobile GPU, and a multi-channel bus. Give it around 64MB of EDRAM for the GPU to make it even easier to implement the fats-memory hungry rendering stuff used these days.

It wouldn't have to be massively powerful, just "powerful enough" and "easy enough" to work with.
    Forum Member
    Nah you just open it up and pin down the drive door mechanism so it' s continually spins and you can use the swap trick which is a little hard to learn but once you get the timing down it's really easy. Since the Saturn is region locked you can only use disks and play backups from the region of your console, but an action replay cart can get you access to all regions.

I don't personally do that as I'd rather buy Saturn games since they are so gorgeous and had mine modded for region and 60hz but it IS very good for trying before you buy since some of the games are insanely expensive.

I still have loads of saturn games no way of playing them anymore :(
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Also EA thought they had a time frame to release for the Saturn and were working towards it. But then Sega changed the Saturn release date and wanted the EA games out for the launch. EA and Sega disagreed and fell out and never launched a single game for Saturn or Dreamcast. Sad end really obviously effected the Dreamcast long term which was a massive shame.

Wel that's not true as I bought Fifa 95 with the console.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Wel that's not true as I bought Fifa 95 with the console.

Oops my mistake it was Fifa 96 not 95.
    http://youtu.be/0mlQKVJFu_4
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If SEGA had the money it would be the perfect time to release a console, especially if the ideas that Microsoft are coming up with are true.