How do the BBC decide who should represent us?

Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got noo idea how they decide who should represent Eurovision? Do artists themselves put themselves forward, or do they contact them or what? Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every January they realise they have to have the entry by mid march and go in to a mad panic and immediately phone John Barrowman and Jason Donovan who turn them down. Then they find some one reasonably good who is willing to represent us but Katie Taylor head of entertainment veto's the decision and chooses her own entry instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Every January they realise they have to have the entry by mid march and go in to a mad panic and immediately phone John Barrowman and Jason Donovan who turn them down. Then they find some one reasonably good who is willing to represent us but Katie Taylor head of entertainment veto's the decision and chooses her own entry instead.

That sounds about right. :D
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's interesting thanks... I don't understand why they don't pick someone young and modern but meh.
  • dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Englebert's placing last year there was a story last summer that the BBC was going to drop the 'they pick the entry' route and go back to a national final with the song/performer picked via a TV show.

However, if they were doing that, I would've thought they would've announced something by now.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dronkula wrote: »
    After Englebert's placing last year there was a story last summer that the BBC was going to drop the 'they pick the entry' route and go back to a national final with the song/performer picked via a TV show.

However, if they were doing that, I would've thought they would've announced something by now.

That was made up by the Daily Mail. So the BBC could blame the public not themselves for poorly though out choices
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Do we even have confirmation that the UK is entering at all?

I am so close to writing the BBC a cover letter explaining why they should take me on for their Eurovision team. I want to get stuff done. The BBC ran a 'rising stars' music workshop in June last year, and I remarked that the Eurovision team should have a scout there. I'm sure they'd have found a bright, promising act to take on. We don't need an established artist, we need someone who can convey the right message.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we even have confirmation that the UK is entering at all?

I am so close to writing the BBC a cover letter explaining why they should take me on for their Eurovision team. I want to get stuff done. The BBC ran a 'rising stars' music workshop in June last year, and I remarked that the Eurovision team should have a scout there. I'm sure they'd have found a bright, promising act to take on. We don't need an established artist, we need someone who can convey the right message.

Yeah they confirmed a while ago actually and they were on the list of the 39 competing countries.

Yeah they should be looking at new talent, maybe just haing some one high profile selecting and mentioning the act would be enough to grab ratings.