Les Miserables

Comments

• GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However, on the current DVD version, cough, the sound is clear as a bell and that whole first act zips though wonderfully as it should do and is great.

Someone please PM me about this ;)
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galinda wrote: »
    I saw this last week and absolutely adored it. I was quite worried before seeing it as there was so much hype about it I was scared it wouldn’t live up to expectations, it’s my favourite stage musical and so had I hated it I would have been devastated! It definitely didn’t disappoint though.

Loved all the cast. Been a fan of Hugh since I saw him in Oklahoma and so it was great to see him in another musical. Like a lot of people have said I didn’t love his Bring Him Home as I have been spoilt with so many beautiful versions in the past but his versions of everything else and his acting more than made up for that. You could totally believe his Valjean. I liked Russell Crowe’s Javert, he’s no Philip Quast singing wise but he acted it well and his singing is growing on me! Anne Hathaway – amazing. I pretty much cried through every scene she was in. It was great to see some west end theatre peeps in the film too – Killian Donnelly, Hadley Fraser et al. Great stuff.

Really want to watch it again as there was so much to take in. There were a few new bits that I liked that aren’t in the musical - Javert making Valjean pick the flag up at the beginning as it made the runaway cart bit clearer. I imagine the film is a lot easier to follow than the musical for first timers. Loved the final battle, the barricade boys banging on the doors was heart breaking. Glad they kept the enjolras death position (?!) in although nothing can beat that reveal than the stage version with the music. So moving. The epilogue was beautiful. I sobbed! Lovely touch with the bishop being there.

It’s so good to read the film getting so many positive reviews. I guess it will boost ticket sales for the show and mean that won’t be closing any time soon!

Has anyone read the book? I have had it years but never managed to find the motivation to read it. Think it’s about time I gave it a try.

I've read the book a few times and love it. But it can sometimes be a frustrating read - particularly the first time. Hugo can go off on descriptions for pages and you are left waiting for him to get back to the story. There are a lot of characters aganything disappear never to be heard of again - when you want to know what happened to them.

But it is worth the frustrations - the story is even more involving than the film or stage play. Hope you enjoy it!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I was privileged enough to see Alfie Boe perform the JVJ role twice last year (including his final performance ) and he was simply stunning! I cried and felt every emotion .
    I saw the film last week - oh dear ! Hugh Jackman's Bring Him Home made my toes curl and not in a good way and as for Russell Crowe well words simply fail me. I wished I could have pushed him off the parapet during his murdering of "Stars". hey ho glad some people enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching the 10th Anniversary concert (recorded at the Albert Hall), in the run up to me and the wife seeing the movie on Friday. Looking forward to it so much.

We saw Les Mis in the West End two years ago, fabulous performances all round, wondeful songs, really makes an impression.
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    I've read the book a few times and love it. But it can sometimes be a frustrating read - particularly the first time. Hugo can go off on descriptions for pages and you are left waiting for him to get back to the story. There are a lot of characters aganything disappear never to be heard of again - when you want to know what happened to them.

But it is worth the frustrations - the story is even more involving than the film or stage play. Hope you enjoy it!!

I have heard people say that before about him going off on one about sewers or something for a chapter!

Thank you :) The film has made me even more determined to attempt the book.
    digidi wrote: »
    I was privileged enough to see Alfie Boe perform the JVJ role twice last year (including his final performance ) and he was simply stunning! I cried and felt every emotion .

Alfie Boe's singing was flawless but that was about it. For me his acting wasn't very good. I went in with such high expectations and left feeling a bit disappointed. Then with his replacement it was a different story. Went in convinced Ramin Karimloo was miscast and came out thinking I had just seen the ultimate Jean Valjean! Beautiful vocals and amazing actor. Stunning.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Just watched it for the second time. (In the comfort of my home with a decent sound system)

There is so many little nuances to this story that you only see, once you have familiarised yourself with the story. (And can actually here the words clearly!)

Why is Eddie not getting an award for Empty Chairs? Or one for just being so God Damn cute!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is Eddie not getting an award for Empty Chairs? Or one for just being so God Damn cute!?

In my opinion he was robbed of a nomination as well. I have heard this awards business can be intensely political. You have to have someone campaign for you to get that nomination and the another campaign to get the Academy vote. Being an up and coming actor, perhaps he doesn't have the right people to do this for him.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diorelli wrote: »
    In my opinion he was robbed of a nomination as well. I have heard this awards business can be intensely political. You have to have someone campaign for you to get that nomination and the another campaign to get the Academy vote. Being an up and coming actor, perhaps he doesn't have the right people to do this for him.

Same goes for Samantha Barks really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Just watched the film for a second time and loved it even more! This time as well as a round of applause there were cheers too, I've never known that at the cinema...lots of people crying to and one person was heart broken ad very noisy, bless them! I thought for 12 years old, Daniel Huttlestone, was outstanding! Again I loved Hugh and Anne Heathway. and can I join in the Eddie loving too! :)

My next aim is to see the musical as I haven't yet!!
  • KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I've just seen the film and thought it was excellent! I've seen it on stage about 4 times and to be honest it bored me. But with people raving and 'making' me go I was worried about a film adaptation.

For me on stage there is so much plot and not enough character development but I never found that in the film! I thought the close ups of the film were excellent And really drew me in. I know it's a musical but the rawness of the characters had me so engaged. Hugh jackman was excellent, Anne Hathaway was devastatingly awesome and I love that colm wilkinson was in the film!

The singing was very musical at times and it flagged once it was at the second half but it did make me appreciate the songs/characters/plot even more than normal! I do find the musical very fast paced and boring, but in film it was interesting to finally see the emotion of the piece. It is all very emotive but i never got it before (and I'm not a cheap b@stard, I've been in the stalls, front row, further back, circle etc). NOW I GET IT!

This was a great film and beautifully shot and Anne Hathaway was absolutely soul destroying during that one take (I am sure it is) I Dreamed a Dream. She made the film for me. Even being in it for short a time made me think how poignant and gracious her role was! As Fantine she was amazingly miscast from all the fantines I've ever seen (with a stupid blonde wig) but was absolutely the most believable member of the entire cast! A beautiful performance that will go down in history I'm sure :)

I know it's all been said. It's just my t'pence thrown in :o)
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    desperate to see the film again

my showing the other day got no applause people were just stunned with silence at the end

i also hope to go and see theatre show as a result
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't the time to read through the pages of comments in this thread, but I am glad to read now that people, like me, dislike (rather intensely) Hugh's version of Bring Him Home.

But I suspect it's Tom Hooper's fault here. I am sure, in his umpteenth take on the song, there must some he sang it like a quiet plea/prayer to God, and some where he screams and shouts. I mean, how can the characters (Marius, the students sleeping) possibly not be woken up by his loud entreaty??? I blame this almost entirely on the director for picking a version, apparently for the sake of being different from the soft, pensive and heart-breaking intercession song that made this solo so famous world over...
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    I mean, how can the characters (Marius, the students sleeping) possibly not be woken up by his loud entreaty???

Maybe they're so used to people breaking into song as a natural form of conversation that the volume is the least of their concerns. ;) I tend to find a certain measure of suspension of disbelief to be helpful when it comes to musicals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I blame the director too for Bring Him Home.

During the epiloge, Hudh sings a reprise of it, and in this it is soft and gentle and heartbreaking, so it's not that he couldn't do it. The director obviously felt that he wanted Hugh to do it in a different way.
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it for the 2nd time on Friday night, and I witnessed my first ever round of applause in a cinema after the film! Was awesome :D There were also girls behind me sobbing basically the whole way through, which was kind of annoying but to be honest I really don't blame them! I joined them during ECET! Didn't cry as much as I did the first time though ;p
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Just watched it for the second time. (In the comfort of my home with a decent sound system)

There is so many little nuances to this story that you only see, once you have familiarised yourself with the story. (And can actually here the words clearly!)

Where did you get it?! Was it an online copy or a DVD? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Maybe they're so used to people breaking into song as a natural form of conversation that the volume is the least of their concerns. ;) I tend to find a certain measure of suspension of disbelief to be helpful when it comes to musicals.

That has always been the case with musicals and opera - Not good to ask too many questions as the plot doesn't hold much water. Yesterday I saw a funny youtube video on some of the very convenient happenings in Les Mis. They mostly revolved around the fact that Marius and Cosett/Jean Valjean have hardly even met, let alone spent a day down the pub together and here they all are shouting about their undying love and hopes for each other. :D

It's like Mimi dying of consumption (a lung disease) in "La Boheme" and then spends a whole Act doing that singing her head off.

Or the fact that the lead role in Madam Butterfly is supposed to be a pretty petite little thing and yet is always played by a big battleaxe of a woman as that is what is needed to sing the demanding part.

All must be taken with a pinch of salt and just enjoyed instead of analysed too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you get it?! Was it an online copy or a DVD? :D

Ummm how to pussy-foot around what I can post.

At this time of year (The Oscars) the Academy voting members are sent all the films nominated to view on DVDs called 'Screeners' - They are very good copies and not some version someone has filmed in the cinema on a camcorder. (Just every 45min or so, there is a line of text that pops up at the bottom for a few seconds saying basically that this copy is for voting consideration and not to be sold or publically viewed) But sound and picture are as good as a DVD.

Now of course, with all these nice Screeners floating around, some fall off the backs of the lorries and do end up on online torrent sites.

Morally I have paid to see it at the cinema and will be buying the Blu-Ray version when it comes out, so this is just bridging the gap and my conscience is clean - So don't send Javert after me!

However, no one else must do this as it's illegal ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some fall off the backs of the lorries

I can confirm this is how I got my copy. ;)

I have watched this at the cinemas as well and bought (legally) the Movie soundtrack from Itunes. My conscience is clear I think. Unless of course, the bishop gives me the whole Oscar library he thinks I should have downloaded as well and sings to me about saving my soul from the clutches of HMV and Amazon :o
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Same goes for Samantha Barks really.

In her case I don't think it has helped that both Fantine and Eponine are supporting roles, so that the attention was always going to be drawn to one instead of both. If one of the roles, Fantine's, had been made more of a leading role, then I think Samantha Barks would have got more attention and possibly more awards.

As for Eddie Redmayne I'm not sure why he's been ignored, like Hugh Jackman there was some flaws in his performance but again I put that down to direction, overall he was great. It's not like he hasn't been recognized in the US before, he won a Tony award a few years ago for Red.

As someone has said you have to have the right people behind you as well as a good performance to make an impact in awards season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really getting into Eponine's character last night and sympathising. She really is the 'Nancy' tragic, unrequited love of this film.

(Been there and got several T-shirts)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I went to see this last week and, as soon as the opening bars started I thought it was in for a treat. 20 minutes later I was bored out of my skull.

I've seen the stage show 4 times, and forgot how many times I've watched the 10th anniversary DVD, and the film is a long way behind all of them. I get that they were trying to make the film 'raw' and 'real' by having the actors sing live, but all that happened was most of the really emotional lines that should be belted out were reduced to either speaking or whispers. Bring him home was rubbish, I dreamed a dream was rubbish, One more day was rubbish, empty chairs was rubbish, etc.

Really disappointed to be honest. I thought Sacha Baron Cohen and Bonham Carter were well out of their depth. Master of the house is one of the highlights of the show but it was absolutely terrible, neither of them can sing and, again, some of the lines that should have had the most impact were nowhere near being good enough.

It'll probably sweep up at the Oscars, but I doubt I'll watch it again. So disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All must be taken with a pinch of salt and just enjoyed instead of analysed too much.

I want to enjoy Bring Him Home. But not a shouty, vein-popping version of it. No.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things I like in the film version:

* Marius has a grand-dad! He even had a singing part towards the end. Thank God, thank God, he's home." Or something like that. Nice touch. Otherwise for people like me who don't read the original Victor Hugo's tome I would have thought that Marius is an orphan made good (becoming a student).

* Gavroche's tearing up when Eponine died. Got to know now that they are siblings.

* Mentioned before, the pair of candle stands that Valjean kept up till his death. Symbolising that he's committed to remain a changed (for the better) man.

* Ian Hislop lookalike in the carriage as a 'posh man' when Gavorche sang his first note. ;)

* Towards the end, the bishop welcomed Valjean to the other world, the stage version I recalled seeing Fantine and Eponine as ghosts, but that doesn't make sense because Valjean in the musical never intearacted with Epoinine, so seeing the ghosts of Fantine and the bishop make perfect sense.

* Enjolras's death scene in the film was a perfect homage to the stage version as well.

* In fact, all the death scenes (except Russell's Javert) are very well done. As for Russell's Javert, I can't wait for him to jump, because I know that's the end of him having to sing.

* Subtle changes to the lyrics to the songs, Gavorche's philosophical take on the Revolution, which was not there in the original stage version, also some words in the songs like In My Life, Valjean's death etc.. Didn't really like Suddenly though I like the reprise where Cosette and Marius sang about Valjean's departure (using the melody of Suddenly).

However, I don't understand why the director used the take when Hugh's Valjean seemed to have made an obvious grammatical mistake: On his death, he sang, "On this page, I write my last confession" to Cosette while handing her the letter. I thought it should be "I wrote my last confession"? Why did they change it? Or was it just a slip from Hugh. If so, why did Hooper use that version?

Also, When Gavorche was sitting at the back of the carriage singing about everyone being equal "when we're dead", but he was clearing mouthing "when they're dead". So to say all the songs are done live with no ADR, that's not true.

Didn't like how they shoddily cut short the bit when Cosette was singing "Every day you walked with longer steps...", there was a Marius' part, and I can accept they felt Marius' singing part may not be necessary, but it was a clear adrupt jump when they edit Marius' part out. A fraction of a second allowance before Cosette continues, "Don't think about it, Marius" would have been much better.

Can't wait for the director's cut of the film. I believe the prologue of Eponine's On My Own would have been included in it. Also, Drink With Me would be longer. And Dong eat Dog would be in there too among other interesting historical and details they added into the film not present in the original stage musical...
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    * Towards the end, the bishop welcomed Valjean to the other world, the stage version I recalled seeing Fantine and Eponine as ghosts, but that doesn't make sense because Valjean in the musical never intearacted with Epoinine, so seeing the ghosts of Fantine and the bishop make perfect sense.

He does briefly interact with Eponine in the stage show as she delivers the letter from Marius to Cosette that Valjean intercepts (which is done by Gavroche in the book and movie). And presumably whoever plays the Bishop in the stage show has by that point changed costume to play one of the men on the barricade, so having the Bishop return would be probably be a logistical headache/impossibility on stage. It does make more sense to have him there in the movie though.
    However, I don't understand why the director used the take when Hugh's Valjean seemed to have made an obvious grammatical mistake: On his death, he sang, "On this page, I write my last confession" to Cosette while handing her the letter. I thought it should be "I wrote my last confession"? Why did they change it? Or was it just a slip from Hugh. If so, why did Hooper use that version?

It's 'I write my last confession' in the stage version as well.

There were far worse grammatical issues - Hugh Jackman messing up "I run a business of repute, I am the mayor of this town" being the most glaring one for me.
    In her case I don't think it has helped that both Fantine and Eponine are supporting roles, so that the attention was always going to be drawn to one instead of both. If one of the roles, Fantine's, had been made more of a leading role, then I think Samantha Barks would have got more attention and possibly more awards.

As for Eddie Redmayne I'm not sure why he's been ignored, like Hugh Jackman there was some flaws in his performance but again I put that down to direction, overall he was great. It's not like he hasn't been recognized in the US before, he won a Tony award a few years ago for Red.

As someone has said you have to have the right people behind you as well as a good performance to make an impact in awards season.

I agree with all of that, and I think it's a huge shame that Samantha hasn't got a bit more recognition, but it was inevitable. Fantine could never be made into a main part.

Eddie Redmayne was a few critics' outside pick for Supporting Actor nominations, but sadly too many repeat nominees were chosen instead.
    most of the really emotional lines that should be belted out were reduced to either speaking or whispers.

There's no such thing as 'should have been belted out' - just because they're done that way on stage (often necessarily, as Sam Barks has said in a few interviews, to reach the back of the theatre) doesn't mean that's the 'correct' way to do it, or that there even is a correct way. A lot more subtlety is possible on camera and it would have made no sense at all for the characters to just stand there belting.

The movie is not a carbon copy of the stage show, anyone watching it thinking it is will inevitably be disappointed. Take it isolation for what it is, and it's a different matter entirely.