ASUS went in for repair..came back with clock wrong.

Hiya, sent my Asus laptop in to be repaired (faulty cable to screen)and when it came back, the computers clock was wrong.I re-set it several times but within hours it was telling the wrong time again. I have done all the usual things (taken the battery out etc) to no avail. Warranty ran out the day it came back from repair and I do not want to send it away again.

Am I missing doing something obvious to set the clock right? It's so annoying as websites always think it's currently 'yesterday'. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    in what way is it going wrong? is it drifting out? or does it suddenly jump by hours? and if so is it out by a whole number of hours?

if it is the latter i would say it is set to the wrong time zone. and every time it updates the time over the network it is setting the correct time in whatever zone it is set to.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    in what way is it going wrong? is it drifting out? or does it suddenly jump by hours? and if so is it out by a whole number of hours?

if it is the latter i would say it is set to the wrong time zone. and every time it updates the time over the network it is setting the correct time in whatever zone it is set to.

It's very strange. It keeps the correct time for the first 45 minutes or so, then starts to lag behind. I've just reset it and will monitor what time it displays every hours to see if I can make sense of the exact about of time it loses. I've put it in the correct time zone and even tried to synchronise it to internet time so see if that corrects it...but it still lapses. It's a complete mystery!

As of 15.40 - it reads 15.40. I'll check it in an hour.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CMOS battery needs replaced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    CMOS battery needs replaced.

Oh blimey. Is that something I can do myself? The warranty has finished now anyway so my slightly more computer savvy O/H could try and whip the back off fix it I suppose. Thank you, I'll google.

Clock has lost about 19 minutes in the last hour.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh blimey. Is that something I can do myself? The warranty has finished now anyway so my slightly more computer savvy O/H could try and whip the back off fix it I suppose. Thank you, I'll google.

It's sometimes located under the laptop's keyboard or under the laptop's bottom case. If you do find it (should be somewhere on the motherboard) it is a small button cell/battery (found in most stores that sell batteries).
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If you post the make and model of your laptop, I'm sure people can find a diagram that shows where your battery is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies :)

It's a Asus x501a Windows 7 laptop. I'd had a quick look on YT and can't find a tutorial for a battery change but will keep looking.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies :)

It's a Asus x501a Windows 7 laptop. I'd had a quick look on YT and can't find a tutorial for a battery change but will keep looking.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNszlNlEcW0

5:03 shows the CMOS battery. It is the yellow circular bit in the bottom right.

Unfortunately its one of those types where it is wrapped in heatshrink and has its own wire coming off it rather than one that just sits in a holder that you can pop out with a screwdriver. This means you cant just get the battery from the local supermarket in this instance. Nevertheless it should only cost a couple of quid to order online.