3 acquires O2 Ireland

Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
Forum Member
http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/three-acquires-o2-ireland-780-million/021711

The network who has a phobia of having UK and Ireland based call centres and who rip off consumers with shoddy service and unfair contracts has got there hands on O2 Ireland.

Just hope they don't take O2 UK!

It is obvious what Telefonica is doing, rather than selling the whole of O2, it is selling parts at a time, this way they could make more money rather than selling the whole brand and company at once.

BT,Tesco,Vodafone and Sky would be likely buyers of O2 UK.

Yes Vodafone, the competition commission and Ofcom may raise an eyebrow but it would not be much different to the Orange and T-Mobile merger.

BT, it's obvious they want to get back into the mobile market again, operationally, O2's network is kind of already wired up to BT's network.

Tesco, another one who is serious about mobile and are already partners with O2.

Sky has shown little interest in mobile phones. However, as they have a large fixed line base and since they seem to be selling home phone and broadband quicker than Sky TV, they could enter the market.

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do understand that different networks pitch for a different part of the market, and that at the lower end the prices are lower because offshore support is cheaper?

This is old news anyway, there have been previous threads from 24th June when it was announced.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1841767
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Old news.

Got there just before me Thine ;)

Unlikely O2 will sell up in the UK & For sure Three or parent will not buy it. Huge difference between O2 NI and O2 UK.

1.6 million customers vs 23.9 million customers....
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope Sky dont but 02 UK.

Darren
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old news.

Got there just before me Thine ;)

Unlikely O2 will sell up in the UK & For sure Three or parent will not buy it. Huge difference between O2 NI and O2 UK.

1.6 million customers vs 23.9 million customers....

Why do you say O2 NI and O2 UK Lucan? NI is part of UK and runs on the same network as O2 UK. Also, we only have about 1.7 million people so there is no way there is 1.6 million O2 customers here...

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, you mean O2 IRL...:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »
    Why do you say O2 NI and O2 UK Lucan? NI is part of UK and runs on the same network as O2 UK. Also, we only have about 1.7 million people so there is no way there is 1.6 million O2 customers here...

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, you mean O2 IRL...:o

He means O2 Ireland, not NI.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see Sky wanting to buy o2? Why would they:confused:
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    Can't see Sky wanting to buy o2? Why would they:confused:

To be a competitor with Virgin maybe so they can offer phone packages like they do. Makes perfect sense to me.
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/three-acquires-o2-ireland-780-million/021711

The network who has a phobia of having UK and Ireland based call centres and who rip off consumers with shoddy service and unfair contracts has got there hands on O2 Ireland.

First of all its "their"

Secondly, where is your proof that 3 have a phobia and rip off consumers?

You think o2, voda, EE and Virgin etc don't do things to pi$$ off their customers

Considering 3 have reduced the price of some of their sim only plans, I don't see that as a rip off at all
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    toyotacity wrote: »
    First of all its "their"
    If you're going to be pedant then you should know that you should have used "it's" not "its".

So if Three gets hold off O2 in NI, what does that mean for Giff Gaff?
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    If you're going to be pedant then you should know that you should have used "it's" not "its".

They haven't, O2 Northern Ireland is in the UK and is served by O2 UK.

O2 Ireland serves Republic of Ireland.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do people keep saying NI!?

It's either O2 Ireland or O2 UK.

There's no such thing as O2 NI!
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    My mistake, I keep seeing NI for some reason, so there's no Giff Gaff there?
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    My mistake, I keep seeing NI for some reason, so there's no Giff Gaff there?

I don't think so unless it is called something else. They should have to compete with cheaper rivals. The Irish market is supposed to be very profitable.

What O2 should do in the UK is launch another brand or revive Genie and be a budget version of O2, it would be like the EE portfolio, T-Mobile and Virgin as basic budget brands, Orange as middle value and EE as the premium.

O2-premium brand
    Tesco & GiffGaff- Middle value brands
    A 4th brand- basic budget brand

O2 would find it easier to compete with 3 and T-Mobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so unless it is called something else. They should have to compete with cheaper rivals. The Irish market is supposed to be very profitable.

What O2 should do in the UK is launch another brand or revive Genie and be a budget version of O2, it would be like the EE portfolio, T-Mobile and Virgin as basic budget brands, Orange as middle value and EE as the premium.

O2-premium brand

I'll remind you this is a company which is outsourcing UK support, franchised 50% of the stores, sold off assets in Germany (O2), Ireland (O2), China, Spain, and Latin America. It has made well over 6,000 staff redundancies and is Europe's most indebted telephone company.

Do they really sound like the kind of company that is going to invest millions on a new mobile brand right now in one of the most competitive markets in the world.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a quality reply!!
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

O2-premium brand

O2 UK has been very successful retaining and acquiring new customers with the core branding. They have also done very well with the 50/50 Tesco Mobile MVNO and have been growing giffgaff as their budget on-line proposition.

What they have now seems to be working and covers most of the consumer market segments.

Telefonica will probably retain O2 UK for as long as possible unless they get a very significant offer for the business.

Of all the UK networks O2 are the most successful with more than 24 million customers without a merger with any other operator. Growing to that level with intense competition confirms their business strategy has been well considered but they will always be the target of some who consistently post negatively about the company and have a known agenda promoting rival operators.
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Growing to that level with intense competition confirms their business strategy has been well considered but they will always be the target of some who consistently post negatively about the company and have a known agenda promoting rival operators.

Oh for gods sake, give it a rest!! you do exactly the same thing, people in glass houses and all that!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 UK has been very successful retaining and acquiring new customers with the core branding. They have also done very well with the 50/50 Tesco Mobile MVNO and have been growing giffgaff as their budget on-line proposition.

What they have now seems to be working and covers most of the consumer market segments.

Telefonica will probably retain O2 UK for as long as possible unless they get a very significant offer for the business.

Of all the UK networks O2 are the most successful with more than 24 million customers without a merger with any other operator. Growing to that level with intense competition confirms their business strategy has been well considered but they will always be the target of some who consistently post negatively about the company and have a known agenda promoting rival operators.

I completely agree with you on that one for once. They are the best network gaining customers and retaining them I will never know how though. It's never been how they do it that has annoyed me about O2. It is the fact they like to live in the past and don't invest in there network. They care more about branding example O2 Arena. They need to get a solid 3G & 4G network else they aren't going to survive in the future. I honestly don't see what is wrong with merger it made perfect sense it bolstered numbers and provided an amazing amount of spectrum for 3G and 4G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toyotacity wrote: »
    Oh for gods sake, give it a rest!! you do exactly the same thing, people in glass houses and all that!

There requires to be some balance.

Reading the posts in this thread one would think O2 UK is a basket case company and it's far from that which seems to be the reason for others with a promotional agenda for rivals to jump in and post anything they can find that puts O2 UK or their parent company Telefonica SA in a bad light. The worst offenders will also repost the information to try to harm the reputation of the company. It's very clear what the agenda is but it is unclear why so much time and effort has been spent on that worthless mission.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There requires to be some balance.

Reading the posts in this thread one would think O2 UK is a basket case company and it's far from that!

None of this is true then:confused:
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I'll remind you this is a company which is outsourcing UK support, franchised 50% of the stores, sold off assets in Germany (O2), Ireland (O2), China, Spain, and Latin America. It has made well over 6,000 staff redundancies and is Europe's most indebted telephone company.

Do they really sound like the kind of company that is going to invest millions on a new mobile brand right now in one of the most competitive markets in the world.

Sorry, I forgot selling the UK broadband division to Sky as well. So sorry for not being accurate ;)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The O2 NI thing was my fault. I was speaking to someone over PM about 4G in NI at the time. Getting old.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading the posts in this thread one would think O2 UK is a basket case company and it's far from that

The network is certainly a basket case...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    The network is certainly a basket case...

Obviously...... that's why over 24 million rely on it..... and why huge businesses contract with them to keep in touch! Makes sense!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously...... that's why over 24 million rely on it..... and why huge businesses contract with them to keep in touch! Makes sense!

I'm not sure why people rely on it. Your guess is as good as mine - but it is demonstrably crap.

I don't think any of the other networks have had an HLR failure twice in the space of a few months, cutting off service to most of the customer base for days at a time.

Then there are the known day to day problems...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people rely on it. Your guess is as good as mine - but it is demonstrably crap.

I don't think any of the other networks have had an HLR failure twice in the space of a few months, cutting off service to most of the customer base for days at a time.

Then there are the known day to day problems...

Not that other networks have had no issues...... 3 has had data outages, EE has had some issues and the list goes on. Every network has failures from time to time.

It's predictable and quite sad that some here constantly bash the UK's most successful mobile business but if that makes them happy then so be it. The opinions of a few who don't use the network won't influence the millions who seem to be happy with it. O2 have the least escalated complaints per 1000 customers and have the highest levels of customer satisfaction according to Ofcom research but that will doubtless mean nothing to the small band of 'haters' who do their best to play up anything negative about the company.