Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Plenty to be offended by if you so wish.

Is this the one with the ME joke?

I think so. My OH is a big Gervais fan and has ME, he found it very funny.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The final episode was one of the most beautifully written and moving things I have seen on TV.

A triumph
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this quote from the man himself.
    It filled half an hour and then I watched something else. That's good enough for me.
    http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

Wow, how the mighty have fallen. He seems to have lost any ambition to make something worthwhile. At least he's honest about how little merit the show has. Something to pass the time.

The second series is going to be interesting. Will he have learned from his mistakes or will he indulge the brainless plaudits? It's a tricky situation for him because he now embraces the sort of popularity he used to sneer at. To get any credibility back he'll have to completely change Derek. Not sure if he has it in him let alone the desire to do so.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheres the Ogg Monster these days? Dont see him writing or working on much stuff with Ricky ? It all seems to be Ricky and Karl these days.
  • Soulrebel1980Soulrebel1980 Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »

Wow, how the mighty have fallen. He seems to have lost any ambition to make something worthwhile. At least he's honest about how little merit the show has. Something to pass the time.

The second series is going to be interesting. Will he have learned from his mistakes or will he indulge the brainless plaudits? It's a tricky situation for him because he now embraces the sort of popularity he used to sneer at. To get any credibility back he'll have to completely change Derek. Not sure if he has it in him let alone the desire to do so.

Did you read the whole thing Gervais wrote? Or did you just pick out that sentence? he was not talking about himself, read the whole article instead of a few lines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's making a pilot or a series in America for HBO. He seems to be busy doing his own thing at the moment.

After seeing Brent on Comic Relief though I wonder if they've discussed writing an Office reunion special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you read the whole thing Gervais wrote? Or did you just pick out that sentence? he was not talking about himself, read the whole article instead of a few lines.

I did read the whole thing. The most important part of what I quoted was that Gervais said it was good enough for his show to be seen as something to pass the time. How is that meant to be taken any other way?
    Forum Member
    Here's another Gervais quote, from his website:

"For me, personally, it's my favourite thing I've ever created or worked on. I love Derek more than any other character. In fact, I wish I were more like him."

Good for him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely quote. Shame he's lying through his teeth.
    Forum Member
    It's a lovely quote. Shame he's lying through his teeth.

You obviously know him better than anyone else here then?

I enjoyed the show, you didn't, I don't analyse shows with a toothpick, just watch, either enjoy or not, that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously know him better than anyone else here then?

I enjoyed the show, you didn't, I don't analyse shows with a toothpick, just watch, either enjoy or not, that's it.

I don't know him at all. I just know what he says and does in his work.

No toothpicks required. ;)
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Selective quoting there. He's referring to the reaction of the average person who doesn't analyse things they watch to the absolute nth degree. They enjoyed something (or not), they don't question why, they just did. Unlike you.

He also tweeted this recently, and this isn't out of context.
    Internet forum: Place where you take out your anger at the world for not becoming a success...instead of trying to become a success

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/311778133504307200

There's a lesson in there for one so young.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this show.

Thank you Ricky and yes the ending was fab fab.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selective quoting there. He's referring to the reaction of the average person who doesn't analyse things they watch to the absolute nth degree. They enjoyed something (or not), they don't question why, they just did. Unlike you.

"Internet forum: Place where you take out your anger at the world for not becoming a success...instead of trying to become a success"

That's a crap quote though. You can be a success in something and still be annoyed that something else isn't good, mainly because people haven't put the effort into it that they should have.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's another Gervais quote, from his website:

"For me, personally, it's my favourite thing I've ever created or worked on. I love Derek more than any other character. In fact, I wish I were more like him."

Good for him

No he doesn't.
    I. Don't. Believe. Him.

Is he honestly saying that he would be happy as Derek, given that how he is now he has been very successful and is financially secure?

It's like a rich man saying that they wish that they were poor.

If he wanted to be more like Derek then he would have simply become more like him before.
    Don't believe him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha that tweet is ridiculous and bitter. He should grow up.

Again though, yes he's referring to the reaction, but he's also saying that it's the response he wants. It's dumbing down. Someone like Gervais should want to make a show that encourages people to analyse and discuss. Now he makes shows that are just lazy and contradictory in order to get cheap praise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Internet forum: Place where you take out your anger at the world for not becoming a success...instead of trying to become a success"

That's a crap quote though. You can be a success in something and still be annoyed that something else isn't good, mainly because people haven't put the effort into it that they should have.

He's getting very preachy in his old age. As though he wants people to be a certain way which conforms to what he likes.

Sounds to me as though that quote is covertly aimed at the criticism of himself in general in regards to things like the recent 'mong' stuff.
    He's right, everyone else is wrong, and he won't have it any other way.

I think fame has spoiled him. His ego isn't handling criticism. Some of which isn't that unreasonable.
    Some will go too far, some will be quite reasonable and be no worse than the sort of criticism anybody else would get if they created something which wasn't up to scratch.

What happened to him wanting to be more like Derek?
    No, he will state how it would be good if everyone else was like Derek. But he doesn't seem to apply the same rule to himself.
    He would love an army of stupid acolytes all worshiping him and his 'work', but he comes across as too egotistical to genuinely want to be like Derek himself.

Why on earth would he want to be like Derek himself?
    If he was like Derek he would never be in the position to be able to do what he's currently doing, and would never reach the subjective mindset where he would have the luxury of saying that he wishes he was more like Derek.

Ask people who have any similarities to Derek in real life in terms of what personality traits Derek is trying to portray if there's anyone they'd like to be, and I think the answers will be quite interesting.
    Whereas Derek is a fictional character who says whatever words Ricky Gervais makes him say. For me I believe that he was the least realistic character in the series. The other characters will also say what a wonderful person Derek is...because Ricky Gervais himself wants them to say that.
    There's nothing real about this. Derek is just an idealistic notion which doesn't seem to have any grounding in real life.

I think he's slipped up here a bit with this quote.
    He's criticizing people on the internet by comparing his level of success to theirs.
    But obviously he doesn't know how successful people on the Internet are or aren't. Then there's the thought about what is seen as successful and what isn't. The notion of success can be measured in a myriad of different ways.

But more importantly it contradicts his sentimental wish that we should all be like Derek.
    So would he describe Derek as being successful? I thought he wanted us to be all like Derek, but I don't see how striving to be successful is in any way part of Derek's makeup.

Whatever failings he levels at his attackers and critics he is guilty of himself when he himself lashes out.
    He can't seem to let things go or accept a different opinion from his own. Even if the criticisms or attacks are malicious, if he doesn't brush them off then he just invites more of it. But even when criticism is fair and valid he treats all criticism the same as though everybody is wrong and he's always right.

He also forgets that he himself uses the platform of the internet to launch attacks on people, either as a response to criticism or even in a comedy type sketch which takes an unprovoked pop at some type of person. So he's hardly in a position of owning any moral high ground.

Anyway, my opinion is that all celebrities should keep the f**k away from twitter. Because it always tends to end in tears, as performers have a tendency of having a very large but very fragile ego.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha that tweet is ridiculous and bitter. He should grow up.

Again though, yes he's referring to the reaction, but he's also saying that it's the response he wants. It's dumbing down. Someone like Gervais should want to make a show that encourages people to analyse and discuss. Now he makes shows that are just lazy and contradictory in order to get cheap praise.

In hindsight it seems like 'When the Whistle Blows' ended up being an ironic prophecy of his own future career direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In hindsight it seems like 'When the Whistle Blows' ended up being an ironic prophecy of his own future career direction.

Christ, you might be right. His career has taken the same route. Amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, you might be right. His career has taken the same route. Amazing.

The thing is that I watched a compilation of WTWB from Extras on youtube, where they joined all the little clips together.
    It's actually quite funny.:D
    The problem is that he's actually good at it. Too good at it.

You aren't going to be able to write that kind of stuff and for it to be quite funny if you don't actually like that kind of predictable base humour in the first place.
    You can tell that he loves it.

In fact basic humour which goes for cheap laughs runs right through Ricky Gervais shows and often gets the biggest laughs.
    Every series you'll have standout moments which are simply base humour.

He might want to think of himself as creating high art and sneer at other comedies for going for the lowest common denominator type comedy, but if you think of some of the funniest moments from any Ricky Gervais comedy show you'll probably find that it's very basic slapstick type humour.

It appears that he wants people to see his TV shows as richer and 'better', or more worthy than other comedies written by other writers. But lets face it, something is either funny or it isn't.
    Instead of getting all pretentious about his 'work', he should just embrace the daft humour he's so good at writing as a worthwhile thing in its own right.

I think he's sensitive about any criticism about something he's written which he wants us to see as high art in some way, but I don't see the level of richness that I did with The Office or Extras. The best bits of Life's Too Short or Derek for me have been the pure comedy moments which he writes lines for so well.
    Anything Kev says in any episode of Derek could have been written for WTWB. He can't help himself. It's like he can't hold back the WTWB that's trying to get out of him.

I don't criticise his ability at writing comedy. I think he's very good indeed at that. However I do criticise his more recent efforts at writing for the more dramatic elements of recent shows. Because I don't think he's quite as good as it appears he wants to be seen as at it.

I think he's recently been being too precious about his recent work and wants to be seen as some serious dramatic writer, and that's why recently he's been on the internet posting on twitter and taking his anger out on the world speaking about people trying to be a success.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe how obsessional some folk get in trying to criticise Gervais.

I'm sure Ricky will be more bothered when he stops getting the reaction. Keep fanning the fire guys, no such thing as bad publicity and all that. Like many of his fans, he really enjoys the wind up.

See you for series 2
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Derek and Extras are the best things RG has done to date. I dont understand the criticism really.

I wish Extras was repeated though. Its been a while since I've seen it. I cant bring myself to rewatch Office again as some of the characters/situations are so true to my own office and cringeworthy!
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I think Derek and Extras are the best things RG has done to date. I dont understand the criticism really.

I wish Extras was repeated though. Its been a while since I've seen it. I cant bring myself to rewatch Office again as some of the characters/situations are so true to my own office and cringeworthy!

Extras is on Dave on Friday nights 2 episodes on so far. I bet you can pick up the DVDs for a decent price too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe how obsessional some folk get in trying to criticise Gervais.

I'm sure Ricky will be more bothered when he stops getting the reaction. Keep fanning the fire guys, no such thing as bad publicity and all that. Like many of his fans, he really enjoys the wind up.

See you for series 2

Well here we go again. Posters just taking personal potshots at other posters simply because they didn't offer an overwhelmingly positive opinion.

The only reason I posted is not because I'm obsessive, but simply because this thread was near the top of the first page.
    Probably the same reason you posted. Would you describe yourself as being obsessive?

As it goes, in my previous post I actually complimented Ricky Gervais as well as being critical. So it's hardly because I myself have any hatred for him as some posters like to make out. I've even just posted on another Ricky Gervais thread which is a post which is nothing but complimentary towards a show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »

Extras is currently being repeated on the Dave channel.
    You've missed the first couple of episodes though.