Advice Needed About Plasma Tvs

A friend of mine is very kindly giving me his 50 inch plasma panasonic when he gets his new led. what i want know is does leaving the plasma on standby all the time when not in use does this reduce the life of the plasma or effect the plasma cells

Comments

• Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that I'm aware of. Standby reduces the power consumption of the unit to minimal, the picture and sound capability of the TV effectively being turned off. I'm sure Nigel Goodwin will be able to advise.

50" plasma. .you lucky git. :D Not quite sure why your mate is giving up a plasma for an LCD. Plasma is still far superior, even now.
  • TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is the plasma my mate is giving me TX-P50VT20B and this is the one he is getting TX-L55WT50B
  • in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    The electronics that drive the screen are inactive during standby so there is no effect on life of it.

I suspect after a couple of weeks your neighbour will be banging on your door pleading for his old VT20 back.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say no to the TX-L55WT50B, but as in-focus suggested above, I think the OP's mate has got too much money to throw around, and doesn't realise the quality of what he's already got.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anything about taking the plug out when not in use?
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like, but it's not necessary. It probably only uses 0.5 W

Edit. Standby power consumption 0.4 watt. From the argos web site, They still sell it...£1099.99
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend does know what a quality tv he has at the moment but has we all know when plasma"s go you cannot get them regassed personally i would rather have LED but it is a very kind & generous of him to give me such a good t.v.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    its a cracker that tv. I have the G20 , G 30 and VT 30 , all 50 inch
  • witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    TechnoGeek wrote: »
    My friend does know what a quality tv he has at the moment but has we all know when plasma"s go you cannot get them regassed personally i would rather have LED but it is a very kind & generous of him to give me such a good t.v.

I have a plasma tv.
    What is regassed?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    witham1 wrote: »
    I have a plasma tv.
    What is regassed?

A load of complete rubbish which a few misinformed people spread in the early days of Plasma and has unfortunately lingered on.
  • witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Thank you Nigel.
    You always give good information.
  • in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member

And his username is TechnoGeek :eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i have been told & read about plasma"s once the cells dies that"s it there finished, this is why im trying to get some advice from supposedly better informed people on here about plasma"s as for the nickname i love technologly
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what i have been told & read about plasma"s once the cells dies that"s it there finished, this is why im trying to get some advice from supposedly better informed people on here about plasma"s as for the nickname i love technologly

Youre getting a 50'' plasma for nothing, and yet you seem more worried about and faults it may or may not develop :rolleyes:

Get it, plug it in, and just enjoy it :D

and whilst youre waiting for it read this.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member

Not worth worrying about. It'll probably be fine for several years. Just don't set the contrast too high, particularly with bright stationary images....especially if it's used to play games.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member

Sorry, but again you've been reading (and 'informed') utter and complete rubbish.

Cells don't 'die', there's no gas to re-gas, or anything else silly.

The wear out mechanism on Plasma is the gradual reduction in brightness as the phosphors that generate the visible light wear out.

But most will have failed long before that happens anyway.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dony Pannys have an on/off switch on the front/top?.......just switch off with that.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Dony Pannys have an on/off switch on the front/top?.......just switch off with that.
    Well, he could. But that wouldn't solve the problem that he doesn't have.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had a pal that would give me a 50" telly for eff all.